Just tell me - how can I identify things?

Glassk

You usually have to visit a sage to identify items in the Exile series. Item Lore is an expensive skill and not really a great investment, plus it only has a chance of working. You can eventually find a handy "Identify" spell, but not for a while.

I don't remember where sages are in the beginning of Exile 2, but there is almost certainly one in Formello, and there is probably one in Fort Draco as well. Sages will generally tell you they can identify items when you ask about their job. Be warned, you will have to pay a small fee for the service -- just part of life in Exile.

Some items are almost never going to be worth IDing.

If you are fighting goblins and one drops a knife when you kill it, it's not too likely to be a magic knife.

I remember in Exile 3, the cost of IDing iron bars was the same as their resale value. Silver bars, though, were worth a lot more, and though they had the same graphic, their weight was a bit less, IIRC, so I knew they were worth picking up.

Most of your questions will be answered by an Avernum 2 FAQ. The geography is nearly identical, and the quests and items you need are nearly identical. The mechanics are different, but if you only consult it as a walkthrough it should help. Since you seem to have a large number of questions you should probably do that.