Hero of old spell

I'm heading to the Spire of Ages for the last quest. I'm obviously trying to make sure that I've covered every last mission. I don't have the Hero of Old spell. I've looked everywhere and finally went to spoilers. Spoilers tell me that I can find that spell at the Vale of the Sould. My question is: Can I find it in the Vale of the Sould? Or can I only get it from Samael when I give him the glowing stones. I already gave them to the Rose Lady. So am I screwed?

---Zelda

Yes. You can only learn the spell from Sammael by turning in the stones. The good news is that the spell in Nethergate: Resurrection is a pale imitation of the original game where it gave invulnerability and all the abuses that players did with it. You won't really miss the spell since it basically just buffs the caster with bless, protection, and haste. Even Romans don't really benefit from it and they can only give the stones to Sammael.

Go ahead and enjoy the end game.

Hey, you so know that bless, protection and haste are sort of good!! But you're right..not nearly as good as the original. I've been able to live quite well and prosper without it up to this point. So I'll muddle through and not cheat with the editor.

Thankee again, Randomizer! My wise Nethergate sage, you!

---Zelda

Also note that Hero of Old has an absurdly high casting cost compared to casting each effect individually, and it doesn't last any longer either, nor is it stronger in any respect. It might be convenient at times when you have spell points to spare, but it's honestly one of the least useful spells in the game.

This seems to be the ongoing trend. Instead of having something truly rare and spectacular, we have things becoming more accessible and more nerfed, common, and averaged. I prefer and keep arguing more for the former, with legendary items, super swords, and a couple of super offense/defense spells or wands. That's not necessarily what we are getting, however.

-S-

Quote:
Originally written by Synergy:
This seems to be the ongoing trend. Instead of having something truly rare and spectacular, we have things becoming more accessible and more nerfed, common, and averaged. I prefer and keep arguing more for the former, with legendary items, super swords, and a couple of super offense/defense spells or wands. That's not necessarily what we are getting, however.
Quoted for truth and agreement.

I dunno. I will always hold in awe my memories of my experiences acquiring the Fury Crossbow and Ring of Endless Magery in A3. The latter didn't exactly justify the effort required, but the crossbow was pretty darn cool. It IS a trick to not break a game with a super item or ability, but I think it's worth overcoming the balance challenge to find a way to include at least a few exceptional things in a game. Boredom is worse than lack of perfect balance. One can always ramp up to Torment too.

One way to utilize über-items is to make some optional areas or quests you are only going to be able to survive with a specialized item or ability, but which might not give undue advantage in most normal situations. Or maybe it will in some situations. Maybe spells and damages need to become even more specialized.

And maybe this needs to morph on over into the RPG mechanics thread.

... I miss the old use of Berserker too ...

-S-

Again, I throw in with Synergy. It's so much fun to get a weapon or spell or whatever that just completely rocks. Obviously you don't expect it to roll over everything...but to have it make an obvious difference..well..it's fun. Because you know you've worked hard to get it. It 's like your dang due!! I've actually never heard anyone complain that they've gotten something that made the game too easy. But to get something special because of your trouble and toil..it's always good. Hope that makes sense.

---Zelda