Wesnoth Multiplayer Anyone?

keira

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, JamesMighty, in the future could you edit your previous post in order to add any new information, rather than double posting? With the space your signature takes (a mammoth amount), you'll be saving everybody a lot of scrolling.

And, since I've mentioned it, could you try and squeeze your signature down so that it's not on so many lines? It's kind of ridiculous as it is. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
I'd love to do something like this, but I really don't have the time.

Any of the participants want to record the match and put it on YouTube for the amusement of the community?

I could do this, most likely. Also, the server should be set up to record match replays so you could just download that and toss it in your saves folder. I just have to figure out where the devilish thing is saving them...

This is not a productive use of the thread, and not an efficient way to look for playing partners. You have to post almost daily and your post only stays relevant for a few hours.

I suggest that people who have time to play either hang out in the server lobby, or (if leaving the client open is too resource-intensive) a chatroom (maybe on CalRef?)

Originally Posted By: Aʀᴀɴ
On the other hand, for more long-term planning we could do something like a Doodle or Google Docs thing. I know I won't hang out on the server all weekend, but if I know people will be there at a certain time it'd be different.
Well, this thread would also work for longer-term planning, wouldn't it?

It surely would. For example, I could be in this Saturday or Sunday at any weird hour you name.

(By the way, is it at all possible to find out who's online without having to start the game, like in a web interface? Idling around the clock would be a bit distracting...)

Originally Posted By: Aʀᴀɴ
(By the way, is it at all possible to find out who's online without having to start the game, like in a web interface? Idling around the clock would be a bit distracting...)

I'll see if I can find anything that'll do this. While I'm at it, setting up player authentication (reserved names) too.

If it's the music that makes it distracting, you can turn that off...? If it's an urge to check every five seconds, there's not much I can do about that. tongue

I assume a bot could be written to do what you suggest. I have no idea how easy/hard it would be. Or maybe a PHP script could talk to the server. I dunno.

AAAAAAHHHHH

dear sweet god, it seems the only thing wesnothd has for interacting with it (and not being a game client) is this horrid fifo thing that i cannot for the life of me figure out. I can pipe in commands, but can't get jack diddly for output. If anyone knows how to get [censored] fifos to work, please help! If this doesn't work, I think the only option would be to write a bot that can interface with the server (which is possible, but probably more work than is needed).

Player auth is a lot easier. It is designed to connect to the database for a PHPBB forum and nom off their user tables. So, there's two options. 1) create a PHPBB forum and use it just for auth, or 2) figure out the table schema and how PHPBB stores passwords, then just write a dinky little registration page in PHP. I would prefer option 2, since a full-blown forum is rather overkill for something that is just auth.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I'm kinda not liking about Battle for Wesnoth is just how much of a role luck has in its gameplay. I recently just quit a solo game in disgust after a single gryphon rider ripped through my entire starting line-up and took minimal damage in return; I mean, it feels like winning has more to do with getting lucky than utilizing actual tactics (I know this isn't completely true, but it still definitely feels that way at times).

[/rant]

Originally Posted By: !Dash with it.
Originally Posted By: Mod.
I thought topics about outside games was frowned upon?
Apperently not, seeing as how 2 or so mods play and even more post here.
I'm pretty sure advertising other games is what you're thinking of. Discussing other games, as far as I'm aware, is perfectly fine.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Originally Posted By: !Dash with it.
Originally Posted By: Mod.
I thought topics about outside games was frowned upon?
Apperently not, seeing as how 2 or so mods play and even more post here.
I'm pretty sure advertising other games is what you're thinking of. Discussing other games, as far as I'm aware, is perfectly fine.

I was really thinking about generally discussing them, but oh well, I guess I remember wrong.

No, it's very much advertising that's forbidden. Discussion is fine. Jeff has blogged a little bit about that very thing: he likes games. We're allowed to like games too. We get bonus points for liking the same games, but he's not going to be excessively picky.

—Alorael, who notices that he likes his boardgames with some randomness but not a lot of luck that can purely favor one player over another. He's more accepting of board games, but sometimes he's had to quit Wesnoth when the random number gods decide that he doesn't need to land any hits for a couple of turns.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Interesting model of luck and skill in (board) games. Well, interesting for me at least, and maybe you'll find it interesting as well.

Thanks for posting the link. Very interesting. What did you think of it, Dinti?

I'm having a few different reactions which I need to sort out.