One Hundred Push Ups

Dintiradan

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail at reading... Though it may be that there are at present 5 children in my home and finding time to check the website may have played a part. I did week 1 day 1 column 1 three days in a row and intended to do it the next two nights when I became waylayed at my usual exercise time. I'm thinking I should start over only in column two since my max has been 9, 10, and 11.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
I was considering doing exercises during off-days as well -- sit-ups as well, actually, since I'm thinking of trying for the 200 sit-ups challenge next because I'm crazy like that. But is exercising every day of the week going to affect my ability to exercise on the on-days as well? What do the resident exercise experts think?

In order to get stronger and not just wear your body out, you need to give yourself time for your muscles to rebuild. So, as long as you're working out different muscle groups, you'll do fine.

I've always wondered about this 'not wear the body out' theory. Farmers and construction workers and the like get really strong, and they work all day, every day. So as long as you eat enough, I think you must be able to work out every day and still get stronger rather than worn out. But it could be that it's actually less efficient to do it that way. It's not for their health that the farmers work so much. Is there any evidence of this?

I suppose I could try to generate some evidence myself, since my plan is so slow that I'll have lots of time to compare regimens. Somehow I have the idea that low-rep, high-weight training needs a day of rest between sessions, but higher rep endurance training doesn't. Don't know where I got that idea, now that I think of it, except that in the army we had to do these things every weekday, and the people in charge claimed that the program was based on scientific principles.

So I've been doing my push-up and crunch routine 6 days a week. It's more of an endurance regimen, since I'm aiming to get up to three sets of 20 reps of an 8-exercise routine. My longer term goal is to get to more strength training with weights, but at my age I feel I want to build up a sort of base before I start that, in order to minimize the chance of injury. But really I've picked this particular routine just because it was a routine I knew and I wanted to get started doing something, not because I'm convinced it's optimal.

So I've been following column 3 of the first weeks. Like last time, I had quite a bit of trouble with day 1, and on all of the days I haven't been able to hit the minimum when maxing out even though I was able to do all the other pushups for that day. Does anyone know if I would get more benefit from doing column two instead of three?

Okay, I did some experimentation here since I was pretty certain I wasn't doing them right in the first place. I know I wasn't going all the way down so I tried some from the knees and it felt so much better form wise though it killed my knees. Got out a kneeling pad and did Week 1 Day 1 Column 2 on my knees and maxed out at 6 with my arms hurting a whole lot more than last week's max at 9 so I think I'm where I should be.

Originally Posted By: VCH
But construction workers generally aren't doing the exact same movement over and over and over, not in succession any way.

That's true, and it's probably quite important for their health. But in the course of all the different thing that a construction worker does in a day, I bet there's enough repetitions of a few basic movements that it would add up to an exercise set, being repeated every day. All the other stuff they do in a day would be on top of that.

I've often found that weeks two and three seem to be worse than week one, whenever I've re-started a training program — which I've done several times over the years. The very first day is usually much better than I can maintain thereafter, but then there seems to be another slight drop after a week or two.

I don't know what causes this. Maybe I accumulate tiny strains of some kind in the early days, and there's a phase where they outbalance my gains. Or maybe the apparent weakening is only perception, and it's really just a plateau. Plateaus and surges are common, though, in this game. The surges are kind of fun; in previous years, at least, there has always been a point after a couple of weeks where my running suddenly gets a lot easier. But where the first week's runs were pretty easy, my legs just seemed stiffer last week, doing the same distances. But I remember, that's just how it goes. There are always ups and downs.

So I'd encourage you not to give up, Nioca. If it seems to be getting harder rather than easier, that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't working. It just doesn't always work monotonically. It might be good to just cut down on numbers for a while, and concentrate on form. It'll be easier to work back up again gradually, than to restart from scratch in a few years with the memory of having given up.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
I'm out.

I still can't keep good form and seem to actually be getting weaker (I did W1 D1 yesterday, and couldn't get past the second set). Throw in real life continuing to run interference, and.. yeah. It's just not working. frown

Yeah, don't quit, but perhaps modify what you're doing (number). Stuff takes time and not everyone progresses at the same rate.

Originally Posted By: Jewels in Black
Yes, Nioca, if anything pushing from my knees forced my stomach muscles to stop trying to help.
The knee push-ups shift my center of gravity forward just enough that it simply causes me to topple forward every time I attempt them, and my form isn't better anyway.

Originally Posted By: VCH
Yeah, don't quit, but perhaps modify what you're doing (number). Stuff takes time and not everyone progresses at the same rate.
I was pretty much at the minimal number of reps to achieve anything; there's not a whole lot I can do to dial it back further.

Originally Posted By: JamesMighty
Man, I feel so bad. i made it to Week 1, Day 4, Column 1, then i broke my wrist frown

There was no day 4 in week 1...

Nioca, there are other types available to you too. There are some you do whilst standing against the wall, for example. I'm struggling this week too, enough to consider restarting it, but 1) I'm not going to improve by doing nothing and 2) everybody is really geared up and supportive here at the moment, and now is as good a time as any.

If you really have to stop, sure, but we're all behind you if you carry on.

Hm, the word choice of "I'll be put" sounds interesting. Who is doing the putting? smile

Finished week 1 happily myself. I've been doing column 2 and managing well, but I neglected to mention I was doing them on my knees. I haven't been able to do a full one for years, though I've never tried one with warming up beforehand. Still, I weigh quite a bit and I don't really have much muscles to speak of. But I'll certainly try if I can do one at all after week 2, it'd be quite nice if I managed even one.

I've been gone on a vacation from home and my laptop, so I've not been able to post my progress. However, I've been diligently following my exercises, even when it meant doing them in the middle of an airport. And as for today's exercises, they too have been done, although I accidentally skipped ahead to Week 4, Day 1, Column 3 instead of Week 3, Day 2, Column 3. Finished it, but I was definitely exhausted at the end. Oops.

Just a reminder for everyone to drink water. While I was on vacation I started getting headaches because the amount of water I was drinking had to adjust for the different climate and altitude.

ACHIEVEMENT GET: Week 3, Day 2, Column 2

So, here's the thing. My pecs and triceps can take the exercise. But what ends up killing me at the end are my abs. Specifically lower down, the band of muscle covering my guts instead of my stomach (anatomy isn't my strong suit, can you tell). So maybe I really should be doing crunches or something on off days? I dunno.

Originally Posted By: In Half Now
Well, I can't continue anymore so that's it for me. Good luck everyone, keep at it. It's probably rewarding eventually.

May I ask why you're leaving? I assure you that it does, in fact, get rewarding eventually, but you have to keep with it.

Week 3, day 3, column 3 done with. They are getting harder, but I'm pushing through. No pun intended.

Ah, no. It wasn't the lack of rewards (there was improvement and I was happy about that), or that the workouts felt too difficult (they were challenging in a good way, completely possible to do). Some things out of my control are just in the way and until situation improves this is something I can't really do. I intend to try again at a later date, hopefully. My quest for better fitness must continue in other manner in the meantime. Thank you for asking in any case. smile

Originally Posted By: Y? Bcaus, IDK he's on 3rd & IDC
shouldn't this be combined with sit ups?

I've been combining it with push-ups, but it's by no means required.

Week 4, day 1, column 3 done. The same one I accidentally did earlier and struggled with. It's much easier this time around.

So, besides Dintaradan and myself, is there anyone else still doing this?

Originally Posted By: Goldeenking*
I'm still going, though I'm behind a little because of bruising to my arm (from the aforementioned bashing). I just didn't want to spam as much as you guys. tongue

Speaking of spam... tongue I love your caricature of me. I was expecting one of the -king Pokemon, if I got anything at all. Y'know, Nidoking, Seaking, Slowking or some other that I was unaware of. This is much better though, and I appreciate the honor.