Geneforge 1 Performance Issue

almondmilk

I recently bought Geneforge 1-5 through Good Old Games and found that the frame rate was very choppy unless opening a container, getting items, etc. Launching in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 made it considerably smoother but the game is still choppy only when the game displays certain text while I'm playing, cutting down to what I would guess is 10 or less frames per second. Edit: The frame rate otherwise is as smooth as can be.

Small dialog fragments do NOT correlate to the problem: http://postimage.org/image/ej1q2au9z/

These, however, seem to have a 1 to 1 correlation with the frame rate slowing down: http://s15.postimage.org/grkhxdqrv/gf02.png

System information:

Windows 7 x64 SP 1

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz

4GB ram

Radeon HD 4870 (drivers updated by Steam)

I have also had a choppy framerate problem with Baldur's Gate 2 on this machine, and people described the issue as a software/hardware rendering problem, but forcing software rendering did not help me in this case. In the end I gave up. I know not whether the issues relate.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You have used the compatibility version right? Well, it is natural, as posted by one member, the game engine became a little bit "rusty" for newer machines. Everyone else also experience some "choppy" parts. There is no solution for that, unfortunately. But, it won't happen again on Geneforge 4/5.

------------

-Surely, it wont, Nightwatcher

• 2 weeks later...