A:EftP - Tips on how to kill Drath?

He's got the last piece of the Demonslayer I need. I have a save with just him alone, since I managed to dispose of his minions and I left the area, and went back to try and finish him.

My group consists of an archer, a mage, a dual wielding warrior, and a warrior/priest which isn't very good, but heals my warrior.

I just can't manage to remove even half his health. We keep exchanging blows/magic, but after a while he either attacks the other members (and once the priest or mage dies, I'm toast), killing them in one hit...and then I lose.

Any tricks/strategies?

Thank you!

What level are you at? I remember Drath being a pretty hard boss to beat at the time I got the Demonslayer quest. You may just have arrived a little too early to be that effective, because Drath is definitely the hardest fight of the three.

IIRC, doesn't Drath have an AoE attack? Keeping your spellcasters on the corners of the room can help avoid damage. Not sure how much I can help though, your party should really have a dedicated healer. What I did was use summons and my soldier to box him and force him into Melee. My priest healed him constantly and my Rogue/Mage flung spells and razordisks at him from a distance, also targeting the summons....I guess don't be too stingy with potions/scrolls? Sorry but its going to be really tough since you don't have a full Priest character.

Also, about 3/4ths into the fight Drath will offer you a chance to spare him and skip the rest of his health. You miss out on a great robe for your Mage but if its frustrating, you technically don't need to plan all the way through his health if you'd rather skip it.

Level 21 may be a tad to low for Drath. My characters were at level 24 when I beat him and that fight was just at the limit for what my characters could handle. There is a secret room right before Drath which has two fountains providing both regeneration and invulnerability for several rounds, very helpful. At the beginning of the fight you should first clear the room of all of Drath's minions and then let your melee character pommel Drath while the other characters should spread themselves across the room to minimize damage. Also buff yourself up as much as you can and to don't hesitate to use another invulnerability potion if you need it. Drath is a tough son of a b-ch but with the right tactic and preparation he can be beaten.

when you goto encounter drath kill his/its minions 1st and then send fighters to hit him/it and keep casters far enuf so they don't get hit but close enuf to hit Drath with spells (Smite or Lightning Spray) and heal fighters when needed, its not bad idea to cast Cloak of Curses before going to that battle. Other option is to hit him/it with ranged attacks (bows and spells) only but that takes time much longer than 1st option. If Drath summons monsters kill those with casters (Lightning Spray) and keep fighters hitting Drath.

Abyss arena is good place to get exp and money although last battle requires ~lvl 30 party or totally optimized party.

If you have Orb of Thralni or have visited at Erika and toucher portal there you can go kill whatever is between her tower and Khoth's lair unless you have killed them/those too.

• 2 years later...

Oh man, I remember when I fought Drath on Torment. I remembered to go through the secret door in order to bypass the barriers, but I completely forgot to drink from the battle frenzy and invulnerability basins. It ended up being probably the second hardest fight in the game because of my inability to pay attention :p

I just replayed this on Torment with a party of four and like you guys, forgot to drink the invulnerable punch when I got to Drath. I managed to avoid using any invulnerability potions too. But I did have a tank priest up front who could stand next to Drath and absorb anything he dished while my ninja strong melee fighter whacked at him, being healed or rebuffed by my tank priest who had massive endurance, intelligence, hardiness, some resistance and armor. I also had haste at level 3, so I could induce battle frenzy fairly often. My other two PCs were a strong mage with a minor in priesthood and a strong priest who stood far enough away to avoid most of the trouble. Icy Rain and Daze at higher levels (2 or 3) are invaluable for making summoned monsters immobile/ensnared, even if they don't do damage. I used them for crowd control when necessary. Still, Drath is one of the two or three hardest fights in the game until the very end. He has an insane number of hit points on Torment to whittle at. I'm just now getting to the end of the game and am killing Thantria off, because she knows too much and I don't like being anyone's [censored]. She appears to have an insane number of hit points too. Oh yeah, if you decide to duel Kyass, it's also a super challenging grind. Also, I'm not afraid to use "combatsave" from time to time when I am really proud and pleased how I have proceeded to a point and don't want to have to start all over if it suddenly goes horribly wrong or I hit the wrong key.

Armor, Speed and Invulnerable potions/elixirs are very useful in a pinch in this kind of battle. I often forget to use any anyway. Speed potions are especially nice at key moments. I made sure to get my fighter, then magical PCs up in skills to be able to cast Adrenaline Rush. The power of a quick multiple three punch up front attack is formidable—you can clear out a lot of the battefield before the battle even begins. Using Adrenaline Rush is an awesome thing. With Drath, that meant taking out the other undead around him very quickly, then of course it was down to the grind of endurance and repetition focusing on him and his somewhat annoying summons. Most of these fights with summons require just taking out the boss as quickly as possible and try to control or ignore the summons while you do so.