Deleting Spam

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Some mods got lazy about deleting when someone else posts in it.

I thought it was less about being lazy and more about moderators not wanting to delete the posts of human members? I mean if it's just laziness, maybe somebody should be giving a stern talking-to, or a pep talk, or whatever?

But yeah, anyway, I'm pretty sure it was that nobody wants to delete actual posts by actual members; that's what Dikiyoba said, and that's why posting in spam threads is a bad idea. Using words like "lazy" just doesn't do anybody any favours. It's untrue, and it's mildly disrespectful to all the moderators who do clear out all the spam threads.

Originally Posted By: GroovEarlegiance
maybe somebody should be giving a stern talking-to, or a pep talk, or whatever?
IIRC, a few years back, one of the mods made a post requesting that we mere mortals don't post in spam threads; instead, they want us to click "Notify" to tell them about it. I've actually sent a handful of such notes.

Also, I want to take this opportunity to point out that the only difference between "spam" and "scam" is one letter.

That bit you quoted was actually just snark; sorry if it didn't come across well.

The moderating team here are pretty much on top of the spam problem; some things get through, but they're usually caught within a couple of hours. Not posting in spambot threads is obviously an awesome idea, and it's after that couple of hours period that the notify button should be used; at least in my opinion. PMing (or IMing) an online moderator is probably a better idea for these kinds of threads, where immediate intervention isn't exactly required (again, just my (mini-moddy) thoughts).

That bit you quoted was actually just snark
And it was done in a good way. wink

The moderating team here are pretty much on top of the spam problem; some things get through, but they're usually caught within a couple of hours.
Yeah, the mods do a great job of keeping the boards spam-free. Normally the only time I see a new spam thread is when I'm online in the wee hours of the morning.

The notify button is NOT for run-of-the-mill spam. The notify button sends an email to EVERY mod. It is not necessary to email every mod every time a bot posts spam... that is a real waste of time, since you only need 1 mod to delete a spam topic, and the mods are active enough that the "Active Topics" page tends is read by a mod pretty frequently anyway.

The notify button is for stuff that is more unusual -- stuff that violates the code of conduct in a serious way, and either needs immediate action, or has gone unnoticed by the mods because, say, it's buried in the middle of a huge wall of text. If there is a bot that is creating numerous spam topics in real time, that would be a great use of the button, but we haven't seen such a bot in 4 years now.