% for resistances when skilling up?

SapientCrow

Ward mastery says 3%/ level for physical damage, 8%/level at 3 for mental and 10%/level at 7. When I raise it I only get 1%, 7% and 5% respectively. Well I get 7% for magic as well.

I am level 22

Is this a bug or incorrect skill text?

I notice this for all characters in the defensive aspect of the tree. As in they all do not get the full benefit as per the text when I skill it up or I am seriously doing the math wrong.

What is your total resistance from all other skills and items (not counting any from previous points in ward mastery)? If you have 0% resistance from other skills and items, you'll see the full increase when you add a point to ward mastery. If you started with 50%, you'll only see half. This is the way resistance is calculated in recent Spiderweb games. I think of it as each skill or item reduces the damage remaining after damage that was absorbed by the other items.

For example, if other items give you 40% resistance, then you take 60% damage. If you add a new item/skill that gives you 10% resistance, then that chops 10% off of the 60% that remains. 90% of 60% is 54%, so you are now taking 54% damage. Thus your resistance will show up as 100-54 = 46%.

Edit: This is explained better in the "Armor and Resistance" section of:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/mac/641825-avernum-escape-from-the-pit/faqs/64154

It's for AEFTP, but I'm pretty sure the same rules apply in Avadon.