A:EftP - If Freehold of Kyass is based on strength...

The Freehold went beserk on me because I wandered into Kyass' bedroom. Which yeah, IRL that's a no-no, but none of the Avernite towns got so huffy about me wandering into random locked doors. Even Spire wasn't that restrictive!

I didn't get very far in his storyline (for obvious reasons) but I assumed he was just blowing hot air with his 'strength and freedom' stuff. In light of everything he said about his ideals, the Evict Cenac quest seemed really incongruous to me.

Originally Posted By: dave s
Why would the whole town attack you for killing Kyass in a fair match? He says he maintains leadership because he's the strongest, so shouldn't me killing him show that I'm the strongest and the town should defer to me, or leave? Why would the whole town go berserk?

Yes I thought that was a little odd. I decided that Kyass and his followers are a threat to Avernum and its stability, so I decided to kill Kyass. At that point I should have been made into the new Kyass and then been able to reunite the town with King Micah. Oh well... more loot to go to my anti-empire cause.

I am playing the Steam version, having discovered Spiderweb a bit late. This game has occupied my time for quite a while and I like it enough to have purchased Avernum 4,5,6 to play next. I like that I have choices with these things, though now that I have done the deed I am not sure about the consequences other than money, exp, and a reward.

Guys, the people of the Freehold are not actually Klingons. They do value things like loyalty to their leader and independence from Avernum as well as power. And on the other side of the coin, they have their own society they want to maintain in the face of what they see as threats to their social order. They're not just going to make whoever kills their leader into the new leader.

• 4 months later...

It's not just the strongest, it's the most respected that they have as their leader. Obviously they wouldn't respect you for killing the previous leader under another government's orders.

I personally like the place, I mean it's the only place I've seen where nephilim, slithzerikai and humans live together peacefully and cooperate.

Ya,I agree about killing the leader not necessarily placing you in control. As rebellious as their project may be, it seems to be carried out in a civil manner. Besides, if you're there to unite them back to Avernum, it's exactly what they don't want, so of course they're going to be pissed.

I do wish Kyass good luck though I'm not sure what happens to them later in the series. It's an interesting concept. Avernum getting all resources and power is not much different from Hawthorne's absolute power (maybe without the paranoia and evil intent) but would still create a huge power asymmetry. Then the weak would come together and demand equality. So an opposition or independent force like Kyass is a good form of checks and balances, if they're able to coexist with others but cooperate when required. (sort of like independent states and federal government) Though somehow I'm lead to believe that Avernum is not such a peaceful and diplomatic place.