So the game used to work...

blackspy025

Appologies if this is too much it's own topic for this thread, I posted in reply to this as I think mentioning the problem I am having might be of some value in perhaps illumiating a lager steam issue?-

I actually came here to check out the forum topics here for a simular issue, with Geneforge 1 - 4, on Steam. They used to work fine, but now they all crash with the generic "Windows has encountered a blah blah blah..." message.

For me, the problem started to occur following the latest steam update last night. I'm running Windows 7 x64. I can get a full spec printout tonight when I am at home, if that helps. I've got a help ticket in at steam... but I'm not expecting a lot of help from them based on my previous experiences.

Also, anyone that knows better then I how the forums here run think this should be a seperate post, I will move or will be happy if you move it for me!

• 4 weeks later...

My problem with the game not working is somewhat different from yours, chrome. My games just don't start up at all. Basically, I press the play game button on steam, I wait a little and then it just does nothing. Sometimes, the message that tells you about current deals on steam after you close a game appears, meaning that, when I start up the game, it's just immediatly closing it without warning.

It could be that your anti-virus software is silently killing the games before they start. My anti-virus software (I use Ad Aware) for some reason detected Geneforge 1 as a trojan and would auto-kill it everytime I tried to start it so I had to tell it that it wasn't a virus by hand. I don't know what sort of anti-virus software you use but you should check its logs and see what it's detected lately. If you see the .exe for the game in there that's probably your issue.