Difficulty

Snowwhite

Just finished the new Escape from the Pit and am looking at purchasing Avadon.

However, have read some things here that made it sound like a very difficult game and much more so than the Avernum Series. Am very enthusiastic but not very intuitive with the genre.

Advice would be welcomed.

Overall I'd say that Avadon is quite a bit easier than Escape from the Pit, other than a couple of difficult optional bosses near the end. One important thing to know is that evasion is a lot more useful in Avadon: if you pump Dexterity on a character (especially a Blademaster or Shadowwalker), they'll have powerful missile weapon attacks and be nearly impossible to hit.

As far as skills go, the important ones to raise early on are the middle-column passive skills that give bonus HP, resistances and attack power, although it can also be good to go for some area attacks to deal with enemy groups. Make sure to max out the lockpicking skill on either a shadowwalker or a sorceress ASAP, too: you only need a single lockpicker, but it's good to have one.

The difficulty level is about or slightly less than Avernum: Escape from the Pit. There isn't the extreme multiplier of health that occurs in Avernum and Geneforge games, however on harder difficulties monsters have more abilities that they can use in attacking you.

Several boss and mini-boss fights are easier if you have a party that matches the monsters' weaknesses. So have a few saves especially one before entering the zone. For instance one fight works best with at least two Hands having physical damage. A fight near the end works best if you have a wide range of damage types.

It's recommended that you have a shadowwalker or sorceress in your party that has 4 levels of locksmith/unlock charm ability to deal with locks and traps.

Edit - You also need some endurance in all characters to deal with cold, poison and acid attacks. Dexterity doesn't help against those to prevent putting everything into dexterity. Also shamans benefit from dexterity for some higher level abilities.

Get Avadon. You won't regret it. Just be aware of the bugs in the iPad and Android versions and take steps to bypass them.

I found the story in Avadon more engaging than in Avernum. FWIW, I played about 3/4s of the way through before something went wrong with that installation. Avadon's pathfinding and pick stuff up routines are also more polished than Avernum's.

I am playing Avernum now and I am at the first dragon. smile

Originally Posted By: Snowwhite

However, have read some things here that made it sound like a very difficult game and much more so than the Avernum Series. Am very enthusiastic but not very intuitive with the genre.

You can try it for free. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Originally Posted By: Snowwhite

I was worried about the difficulty after reading the forums..of pretty much the entire spiderweb franchise. However, they are no worse than any other game out there, regardless of genre. I think it's hype really. The fact is..and as you can probably agree from playing escape from the pit (new Ver) Yes, you can explore where ever the heck you'd like...and it's seemingly "open-ended" there are definitely area's you AREN't expected to enter early on - there is still a basic set path to follow with an ever increasing difficulty.

I had fallen into the habit of comparing every game with Geneforge, and so when I saw Avadon I was filled with an intense, un-explainable dislike.

But when I got over it, I found that Avadon is a fine game after all, and I played it with gusto. I didn't find it to be too difficult.

It's hard to compare as part of EFTP's difficulty comes from the fact that it's an open world game and thus you can stumble into areas which are way beyond your level from the start--which I think makes it seem harder than it actually is. But most areas in that game are relatively easy provided you just approach them at the right level.

However, in terms of individual encounters I actually think Avadon is way harder than EFTP. It has better and more challenging boss fights on the whole, I think, and unlike EFTP it seems like there are fewer exploits in Avadon (i.e. if you are clever you can always sort of "game the system" a bit with EFTP, and there's usually a "cheap" way around most of its big boss fights, whereas Avadon doesn't really have this. You pretty much have to play along with most of its fights the way they were intended, rather than taking short cuts). Plus, you max out your level really early in Avadon so after a certain point (and unlike EFTP) there really is no longer the option to grind for more levels. You just kind of have to deal with what you have.

I don't know, I haven't played Avernum (apart from some of the demos) but I'm finding quite a few system abuse tricks in Avadon. Unhittable Dex-build characters is the obvious one, but not the only one. You can't escape most bosses but you can lure just about any enemies in a group away to fight them one at a time...