CAN'T DOWNLOAD AVERNUM 1!!!!!

Trenton.

I have waited for months for Avernum: Escape from the pit. And so, when it finally comes, this is what happens.

*clicks the download link.*

*go through the file crap*

*skim over the Licence of agreement, click next, and OH! Whats that?*

*sees something that says, "You need 400 some disk space to download. You only have 300 some" * AND so I delete a bunch of games, and restart the computer, hoping that will open up some disk space. After emptying the recycle bin, and hitting the power button, I start it up again. then THIS happens when I try to download again.

*go through it all again, click accept on licence agreement, and OH! Look at that. Instead of increasing space, my disk space is 200 some. Showing under, "Difference needed/have." -200! 100 Less then before! I Deleted my Exile III game, which was registered! That is a waste of money! And I can't download the new game! Any suggestions?

You already downloaded the game. You are talking about installing it, not downloading it. This is an important distinction.

It is hard to tell from your description exactly what the installer was telling you. But if it says you don't have enough room, you need to delete something to make more room. If that doesn't work, there is a weird problem with your computer that has nothing to do with Avernum.

Originally Posted By: Trenton the Crazed Twilight Teen
I un-installed tons of crap, and my space went down Instead of up. U saying I am screwed because it is a, "just my computer" problem?

Pretty much.

That said, depending on how you uninstalled/deleted stuff, did you make sure to empty your Recycle Bin? Stuff's not actually deleted until you empty it (I'm assuming you're on Windows here, ignore me if you're not).

Also, make sure to check your space manually, rather than just relying on what your installer is telling you. If you need 400 MBs of space to install, there needs to be 400 MBs (preferably more) free on the disk. If there's not, it won't work.

There's one other thing that comes to mind that might explain the issue, but I'd rather you look into the two above things first before resorting to it.

Go to My Computer, either through the Start menu or via its icon on the desktop. Then simply hover your mouse over the hard disk drive for a couple seconds (usually C:, unless you have multiple hard disks or a single hard disk with partitions). A small text box should appear that indicates how much free space you currently have, along with the drive's total size. If the text box doesn't appear, right click on the drive and select Properties, and it should tell you everything you need to know.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
there needs to be 400 MBs (preferably more) free on the disk.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
(preferably more)

This. Computers seem to like a bit of breathing room. When you're down to the very last bytes on the drive, you can have trouble installing even if you have 18 bytes more than you need. You really should have 500 MBs free before you try to install. Copy some files that you don't use onto a flash drive, delete the hard copies on the drive, and try the install again.

As for the space going down, it sounds like you tried to download, failed, deleted files, downloaded, and then checked your space. If you cleared out 100MB but the installer took up 200, you did indeed lose 100 MB of disk space.

I'm pretty sure that Your Windows Installer "engine" (or component or whatever it is) has been corrupted. I believe most Windows users have once experienced such an inconvenience. It is, in other words, that Windows Installer sucks, and the cause of the problem is quite complicated. So it may take forever to fix it. Don't bother.

With that said, the best workaround is simply to install the game in another computer running the same OS and copy the whole game folder to a USB stick, then transfer it to your PC. Run the exe application file to start the game. You can still play, register, save or load your game. You won't lose anything except a desktop icon. If you don't own an extra PC, have a friend with some experience install and send/mail the USB stick to you.