Ideas for a Nethergate 3

Quote:
The reworked Nethergate would use the same engine, just beefed up. Probably Avernum style dialogue (this would take some time). Some new content. Interface and game system improvements. The interface would likely look a lot like Avernum's in the end.

A lot of the major encounters would be reworked to be more in the current style (multi-phase encounters with adds and other special abilities). And the game would be rebalanced to make it more challenging at the end (something I have long felt is a major flaw in the game).

The update would most likely be $10 for registered users. In addition to the general, overall reworking, there would probably one decently sized dungeon for each side (one for Romans, one for Celts).

All of this, is, of course, at least 9 months in the future and subject to drastic change.

- Jeff Vogel
With Jeff already giving what Nethergate 2 will be like, I wondering what people would like to see if he makes a Nethergate 3?

I don't see a need to improve the graphics and change the game engine beyond updating it for the current operating system. The spell system works well enough with the combat system and has some unique features that differentiate it from the other games. So all that would be needed is an intersting plot and some new dungeons to explore.

My idea would to have a dispute between Sidhe factions where each side recruits proxies (Romans and Celts) to settle the matter. The players would need to find items in different places in order to prove that they are worthy to represent their side. The endgame would be an actual fight between the player run party versus the party that would have been created by playing the other side. So you would have players fighting a group that would be using the same type of tactics that they would use and have the same levels.

Nethergate v2.0 isn't the same as Nethergate 2.

Nethergate's success is in a lot of ways predicated on the fact that the party is the Chosen Ones in the Last Days of Magic Stuff. Having a prequel just wouldn't work, especially since everything still has to fall apart in time for Nethergate. A sequel doesn't work for obvious reasons.

—Alorael, who would rather see the Nethergate spirit reused in something that doesn't recycle Nethergate. Shadowvale can only be visited once every hundred years, you know. Or maybe that was some other place, but it's the thought that counts.

Actually a prequel works better than a sequel. This could be the first Roman scouts sent to map out Shadowvale for the fort. They could be co-opted by one Sidhe faction and spelled so they couldn't reveal that fact. The spell would explain why the weirdness in the area wasn't reported before the fort was built.

I agree with Alorael. The problem with a prequel is that you know how things are going to end.

I also would want to see Nethergate engine used for a new game. I am tired of sequels to sequels to sequels. There are plenty of settings that wouldn't involve recycling Nethergate world: Ancient Greece, Native American tribes, etc.

I guess that answers what I'd want to see in Nethergate 2: the same engine with a few minor tweaks (like Avernum-style dialogue system) used for a new setting that would introduce an equally compelling world.

Quote:
Originally written by Kingy:
The chances of Jeff doing that is minimal. He considers the Geneforge engine to be the best so it looks like that's what we're stuck with for the next games he makes.
Oh, dear God that's bad. I hope that if he makes another version of Nethergate, he uses either the Nethergate or the Avernum engine.

Quote:
Originally written by Jame2:
Oh, dear God that's bad. I hope that if he makes another version of Nethergate, he uses either the Nethergate or the Avernum engine.
If you'd read the original thread, Jeff stated that he would be using the Nethergate engine, I believe.

Jeff isn't making Nethergate 2, though. He's just updating good old Nethergate. Or thinking about updating it someday.

—Alorael, who can understand why A4 was a success. It has more interesting combat, a plot that isn't execrable no matter how much it's execrated, and it revisits Avernum proper. There's nothing you can point at and call terrible. Most of the complaints are about what you can't point at and call amazing. Spiderweb's forum is much pickier than the average consumer.

I really like the game engine and would like to see more games using it. Since the engine and graphics are the main time consuming elements in making a new game I would prefer that time was spent making an interesting plot and keeping as much of the existing game unchanged after updating it.

As possible alternate settings you could use Arthurian myth times if you take the Welsh version and not that romanticized French one with Lancelot. Norse mythos would also work with the spell system although Jeff would stay out of Alfhiem (elves) and the dwarf areas. Still there are plenty of giants roaming Midgard.

Quote:
Originally written by Nikki xx:
Quote:
Originally written by Jame2:
If you'd read the original thread, Jeff stated that he would be using the Nethergate engine, I believe.
And if you'd read my post, you'd realize that I don't want him to make any form of Nethergate which uses the Geneforge game engine.

Since he'll be updating with the same engine, as has been made clear, and since he has been pretty clear in the past that no sequel, prequel, sidequel, or other quel is even on the back burner, you can sleep soundly.

—Alorael, who wouldn't mind something Nethergate-esque with the Geneforge engine. He still doesn't like real-time very much, but he'll take the joys of Nethergate where he can get them. Not that this makes any difference because Jeff is not making any new Nethergate other than the one that's just more pieces for the old Nethergate.