Display problem- Black lines

Walkyra

Hi, I'm running Exile 2 on Dos Box with Windows 3.11.

At first everything was running smoothly but now I'm getting these black lines as illustrated below;

blacklines.png

I've tried reinstalling the game, then even reinstalling Dos Box and Windows 3.11!

It's been over 10 years since I've played Exile 2, but I seem to vaguely remember this problem occurring back then as well and I can't remember how or if I managed to solve it..

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't actually tried running exile in a while, but this is what I'd try to do:

First try changing the win3.1 color quality (right click desktop screen, click properties/settings, settings tab, color quality). If that's a bust try changing the "machine" line in "dosbox.conf" to "svga_s3", "vga" or "cga". I had a different game where this fixed it.

I just fired up my DB with E2 and I get the same thing. It occurs in pop up dialog boxes. Let's see if we can figure this out.

Btw Y?, who is your shortstop?

Edit:

Interesting: E1, E3, and BOE are OK/ only E2V1 and E2V2 has the problem.

Edit 2: Solution

Windows won't run unless you use machine=svga-s3

The problem is not a DOSBOX problem, it is Windows. Display set up on my machine was S3...1024x768 64 Colors.

E2 requires 256 colors to display correctly.

1) Open the Main folder

2) Open Windows Setup

3) Click Options/Change Systems Settings

4) Select S3 ... 1024x768 256 Colors SF

Note: this makes you Windows colors go wonky, but only while the E2 game is open. Once you quit the game, Windows colors return to normal.

Enjoy!

C:"So I throw the ball to first base. Now who's got it?"

A:"Naturally."

C:"If I throw the ball to first base, now somebody's got to get it, now Who has it?"

C:"Who has it?"

C:"Ok, I pick up the ball and throw it to Naturally."

A:"No you don't. You throw the ball to first base. Now Who has it?"

C:"Naturally."

A:"Now that's all there is to it."

But now it's time for paybacks.

Originally Posted By: Y? Bcaus, I dnt knw he's on 3rd
I need a few clarifications on the folowing subjects:
captain Epson - old salt

Epsom salts are something used to relieve foot pain. You dissolve some in a pan of warm water and soak your foot.

Quote:
skuner capsized - wiped off the bar

Schooner, first reference is a type of sailing ship, second reference to to a type of beer mug. In both cases, capsizing means 'turning over'.

Quote:
packel - 7 pivots

He wasn't a mammal (mama +m +l), he was a pappal (papa +p +l)
- with 7 piddles (7 kids, really hard to explain this one.)

Quote:
gershwin fish - porgy and bass

George Gershwin, an American composer of musical plays. The play in reference was "Porgy and Bess". There are also a couple of species of fish that are referenced, a porgy and a bass.

I noticed you seemed to get the Tuna Quartet;
1st Tuna, 2nd Tuna, Barricuda, and Bass (short a as in glass).
(1st Tenor, 2nd Tenor, Baritone, and Bass (long a as in base)

This particular piece I would term as Puns Run Amok, a curse which will afflict me from time to time. (Don't look at my Periodic table of Puns. It is really bad, half of them barely make sense, if at all. Some of them are such a great stretch, they can cause physical harm.)

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Originally Posted By: Y? Bcaus, I dnt knw he's on 3rd
I need a few clarifications on the folowing subjects:
captain Epson - old salt
Epsom salts are something used to relieve foot pain. You dissolve some in a pan of warm water and soak your foot.
This also works on just about any body part, in fact. I find bathing in water with Epsom salt added is very relaxing for my achy joints.

BTW, I got this pun immediately. However, at home, Epsom salt is generally referred to as Buddy Epsom salt, a pun on Buddy Ebsen.

I always liked Buddy Ebsen. Of the entire cast of the Beverly Hillbillies, his character was the most grounded in common sense. As for Barnaby Jones, I remember only a little.

BTW. I haven't heard from Walkyra as to whether my solution fixes the problem of the lines in Exile 2. If it helped, please let us know.