There's no money cap, so you can stack as much cash as you want.

Money is pretty tight in this game, from my experience. A few bought spells can blow away your entire life savings fast, so it pays to plan ahead on what you want. Also, I wouldn't recomend buying any items from stores. You get plenty from dungeons and it will only drain your income.

Thing is that investing in upgrades to win fights do not result in a larger dividend in the gold or loot that you sell for gold that you get out of winning fights. You really have to plan what you spend your money on or end up broke quick and still not able to win fights. Still, everybody was thrown thru the portal with the clothes on their backs, it's a wonder that there was any currency down there in Avernum at all.

Eh, given one of the descriptions it's clear Avernum started minting it's own - not "gold" persay, but unique currency.

On the rarer end of things, you have all sorts of ruins and such with treasure in them long before Avernum's establishment. Vahnatai, other, somewhat random and never fully explained ancient human settlements, the occasional Lich or dragon... And of course the Empire'd send down supplies, not to mention all the goodies left behind by the first expedition.

That said, most cash'd probably be copper and silver minted by the Avernum government at this stage.

True, and I always liked that idea, but I don't think that's been explicitly laid out in games hence, has it?

Even still there are numerous descriptions of instances where the literal wealth in question is specifically coinage.

But again, I really do like the idea of melting all valuables into an abstract number rather than having the character haul them around. When there's dynamic sales prices, it makes some sense, but unless there's some other reason for an item to exist other than being converted into gold (crafting, enchantments, spell components) ... eh, why just convert it into gold and cut out the middle man?

Whoah, Whoah. Seems there is some dangerous misinformation in this thread:

Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan

I just ran into the cap, it is 30000. (Windows version, at least). I was saving up to train with Erika, guess I need to get some other spending out of the way first.

Originally Posted By: ShieTar
Whoah, Whoah. Seems there is some dangerous misinformation in this thread:

Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan

I just ran into the cap, it is 30000. (Windows version, at least). I was saving up to train with Erika, guess I need to get some other spending out of the way first.

Indeed, I suffered from the misinformation frown I just noticed I was stuck at 30,000, and came on here to correct the error you have already corrected. I don't know how much money I lost... Suppose it wouldn't hurt to add 5,000 gold to my characters, though ;D

• 8 years later...