A:EftP - Magic Barrier

Hey,

I'm having a slight issue with the Magic barriers. I cannot learn the skill because my Mage spells are all on 0. I'm wondering whether its worth, focusing one of my characters, into increasing its Mage spells. Though, that would raise the question as to what is the minimum level of Mage spell is needed to order to be able to acquire the skill for Magic barriers. Bearing in mind that all my characters are level 22 playing on hard.

Assuming its no longer worth it to increase Mage spells, will I be able to buy the item that is able to remove the barrier? if so, where?

Lastly, I don't suppose there is a cheat code that would allow me to retrain my character. I wasted a several points on things I never used but though are quite cool early on in the game.

Any help will be appreciated.

To retrain your characters use shift and d to bring up a box, then type in editor. You have to keep track of the points that you are shifting since it doesn't do that for you.

Dispel Barrier needs a level 11 in mage spells to learn. It's useful since you gain access to more areas for combat and loot. Third level magical barriers often have better items.

You can remove all important magical barriers using piercing crystals that can be bought or found. Some places that really need them are the Mertis Spiral Pit to get a Brooch for Erika, Crypt of Drath to get a part of Demonslayer, Gremlin's Gold to fulfill a quest, to get the level 3 spell book for Minor Heal in the Nephilim Fortress, the Blessed Athame in Tower of Magi to do the Destroy Grah-Hoth quest, ....

I just tried the cheat and was quite annoyed to realise that I was able to add an unlimited amount of points on pretty much everything. I was it would be more like Avadon where you merely got to rearrange the points previously allocated.

As it'll need 11 mage spells, that means one of my characters would need to gain 11 levels and they just got to level 23 (I'm yet to allocate their points to anything). So would you recommend waiting till level 33 to get the 11 mage spells or simply rely or piercing crystals? Should I wait till level 33, will there be enough quests/missions to level to that high without needing to use piercing crystals?

You'd actually have to wait until level 45, since after level 30 you only get skill points every 5 levels. You're not going to get to level 45 in a normal game without a lot of grinding. I think at this point you've committed to the character builds you've got, and you'll just have to get by with piercing crystals.

You can train for 2 levels and learn the third from a spell book hidden in Khoth's Lair.

Level 1 dispel barrier is the weakest form, level 2 is equivalent to a piercing crystal, and level 3 removes the strongest barriers where the best loot is supposed to be protected but not always.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Pleiades
Do we ever find out what that barrier was for (i.e in Avernum II)? Doesn't Khoth have a huge hoard somewhere (I was thinking it must be reached via the portal that barrier protected)? What kind of dragon doesn't have a huge hoard!?

Maybe I missed it grin

no we don't and Khoth's treasures are hidden from our mortal eyes.