• Announcements

• How to eat sound

Logging in   05/10/2017

If you had an account and can't log in as of 5/9/17, this may be because of a change in logins with new forum software. You can log in using your publicly displayed name (not your username) or your email address and the password you used before.   If you have problems with this, please ask any of the mods or admins. 
Sign in to follow this  
dodo

Is damage blocked in the combat log based on resistance?

dodo   

My characters have 30+% armor ratings but they seem to take full damage quite often.

Yes. There is a large random factor, however.

Also, if you're playing on Torment, your effective resistances (including armor) are lowered 30% below what you've earned. This is not shown on the character sheet.

dodo   

Oh. Is it multiplied or subtracted? If I have 40% armor, does that mean I will block 10% on average or 28%? What's the penalty for Hard?

It's subtracted, I believe.

I don't know if Hard has a penalty. I've never seen one reported.

The exact mechanism is unclear, but on average you should block about what it says -- sometimes more, sometimes less.

Lilith   

Also, there are some slight bugs in the code for displaying blocked damage: if an enemy is blessed, the displayed proportion of damage blocked will be lower than it really is.

This is bothering me. I have a character with 50% armor (level 4) and at most he blocks 1 or 2 damage of a 50 damage attack, generally he blocks 0 damage. Is it just a display error? Because although I haven't tested it, it feels like he gets hit for less than the other 3 characters (he is the "tank" of the group).

On torment difficulty there is a hidden penalty of about 30% to physical armor and resistances.

There is a also a slight random factor in how armor blocks damage that makes the amounts vary every time you get hit.

Shouldn't I still be blocking more than? So 50% armor = 20% on torment, then I should be blocking about 10 damage on 50 damage attacks. I don't think I've blocked 10 damage ever. Not even 5.

wasbear   

I've noticed the same phenomenon in my last playthrough. Even at the end of the game with most of my resistances at or close to 90%, I don't think I was able to block more than 2/3 of the damage reliably. That's why you need endurance/healing on Torment. No matter what the exact mechanics are, the game is still beatable on Torment with a party or solo.

Ya I realize it's still beatable, and even with not blocking anything he can survive ok just because of high endurance. It's still weird. Also if you had 90% resistances then that should be about 60% resist on torment after the 30% penalty, so blocking 2/3 of the damage seems right.