Installing Problems with Geneforge 2-5 Disks. Avernum 6 Issue.

Talias

Geneforge 2 won't install. Geneforege 3 won't. Geneforge 4 won't install. Geneforge 5 gives me error 1045. And thus won't install.I'm trying all of these from the disks I have. On this computer, I have the demo versions of 2-5.

This is not the computer I got the games on, its my laptop. The entire issue is I'm trying to get it so I can play them on my newly moused laptop...hmm, just checked. On my main computer, I only have geneforge 2 and 3. Now, I'm concerned because overall this means I can't play 4 and 5. And I didn't check if 2 and 3 were demo versions. Why they would be, I don't know, unless somebody deleted my geneforge games (like they did for 1, 4 and 5) and I decided just to reinstall the demos while I looked for my disks. Now, see why I'm trying to get them on my laptop instead of the house computer. And why I ordered disks in the first place.

Anyway,I can't use the email button on the spiderweb home page.

I do not have my order number for any of these. I do have the number from my avernum 4-6 bundle, which doesn't really help. Maybe it helps that I know the email used, that at one point in time did recive the order numbers and I can email from it? I know I ordered 4 and 5 seperatly, but don't remember if I ordered 1-3 as a bundle. I think I did. I do have the address of the order, if that will suffice.

Given this infromation, is there anything anyone from spiderweb software can do, or any advice anyone else can give me. (Or maybe they can use the email button to let someone know to read "Installing Problems with Geneforge 2-5 Disks")

I expected these problems with disk two, because...uh...I don't really know whats stuck on it. When I put that disk in I was suprised the installer opened. When it didn't work, not so suprised. When none of them worked, really suprised.

P.S. I'm not really sure how I got geneforge 1 on here. Also I suppose if this doesn't get any responses for a while, I can always try responding to the spiderweb newsletter. Note: I found the request a key link, so if that works I suppose theres no need for response to this. And I can't delete this post so...have a nice day everyone.

It sounds like you're using Windows Vista or 7, so my advice will be for those OSes (I don't have a Mac).

When you insert the disk, close the installer when it comes up; it only works properly in Windows XP. Instead, go into Windows Explorer and find the installation file.

I know you said there was no need to respond, but I'm just posting this here for reference.

Thank you for the info, and thank you spiderweb software for the great cutomer support.

The avernum 6 issue is a registration code of zero. I'm suppose to delete the avernum6settings file. I can find no such file. I open the files by right clicking the shourtcut and clicking open file location. If anyone is so inclined to guide me through where to find what to delete, please, please, do. Or give me the exact file name...if what I have there and can't find isn't it...I'm more than willing to click every avernum 6 file if I'm positive of the exac file name of what to delete.

Okay, when I click on avernum 6 files what I see are avernum 6 sounds, graphics, graphics core, graphics pc, scripts and AV6scendata.dat. That last one is the only one with a dat ending right after clicking avernum 6 files. I have it installed in computer, OS (C:), program files (x86), spiderweb software. Thats just where it automatically installed.

If that, um, helps. I'm not really a computer person. My opersting system is... windows 7 home premium. The sticker on my computer calls it WIN7 Premium. I really should have noticed the sticker before turning my computer off.

Originally Posted By: Talias
I have it installed in computer, OS (C:), program files (x86), spiderweb software. Thats just where it automatically installed.
This explains why you're having such a hard time finding the file. Starting with Vista, Windows became very paranoid as to what the user can and can't do with anything installed in Program Files.

In your case, Avernum6Settings.dat should be located in either "C:\ProgramData," or a folder called "AppData" under "C:\Users\" followed by your user name. The file (and possibly the specific folder that the file is in) might be hidden, so you'll have to tell Windows to display hidden files.

You're normally better off creating your own "Games" folder in C:\, and installing your games there; this will avoid most problems with files going AWOL.

Thank you, I found it. It was under my documents, spiderweb, avernum 6 saved games. Something like that. I found it using the search files application...none the less, thank you. I now have the code for my game (which helps cause for avernum 4-6 I lost the CDs or CD. I lost it really soon after I got it, but I think it was one disk.)

Again, thanks. Now,I just have to send the code in.

Also, I now know how to unhide files and have a folder set up for new games. smile

Glad to be of help. Also, you may want to make a backup of that file, as well as all the ones for any other games you registered; trust me, it comes in handy.

It was under my documents, spiderweb, avernum 6 saved games.
That's weird, I never would've thought to look there.
I now know how to unhide files
That's always useful, since Windows loves hiding stuff on you.
and have a folder set up for new games. smile
Good for you.

I started doing this back when I got my first computer (Win98 was still relatively new), and switched out different programs a lot. I created a "Game Files" folder simply as a way to keep track of what was a game and what wasn't. As time went on, however, I decided to keep it, due to all the strange things that Windows began doing where the "Program Files" folder was concerned.