At the end of my rope

Wilddwarf

The predicament I am in is quite a shame. Blades of Avernum is a thinker's game. You're not supposed to need a walkthrough - or at least that's what I've been telling myself the whole time I've been playing it. Perhaps I was wrong. I need help from you guys. I've gone everywhere I can get to, talked to everyone, killed everything I've could, and still I have not won. The only things I lack are the Healing Scepter and the key to get to the main control room. Within this puzzle I am also trapped in a moral dilemma.

Now, there is something I must confess about myself. I am a consummate dungeon crawler. My thinking process whereas Blades of Avernum is concerned is very simple. I go into dungeons, kill everything that wants to kill me, loot everything, explore everywhere, sell everything that I think I don't need, and dump anything that can't be sold and isn't of obvious use (i.e., magical) into the wilderness. Talking to people is simply a means to an end for me.

The Healer Scepter is my secondary problem. I don't know where it is. Simple as that. The key to the main control room is a bit trickier. It is around the neck of a golem in the library. It wants a book, and may give me the key if I give it the book. This is where my habit of dumping what I deem useless into the wilderness comes in. I remember a textbook - a big one simply called "Textbook". I may have dumped it. So...I have two options. The first one is to find the book. You guys could help me with that, unless I am beyond help in that regard. The second option is to kill the golem, which I do not want to do because it is a peaceful creature.

Please help me. I am stupid.

The Healing Scepter is in the last room of the Infirmary in the northwest part of the level below the caves.

There a three intact textbooks scattered throughout the game. They look like ruined textbooks until you check the item description. There should be one in the lower levels in a punishment cell in the level with the teaching/experiment labs, another is behind a wall that needs to be shattered in the bug infested level where the walls have been moved. I forget where the last one is. You need to place the book on a blank carpet spot to get the key and I don't think you can destroy the golem to get it.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave any sanity you might have left after this scenario by the door. Just because the scenarios are sometime short doesn't mean there isn't some thought required. Every game designer has there own ideas on how to play their scenarios and figuring them out isn't always easy.