A:EftP - Is it supposed to be this difficult?

I have alot quests which my lvl 11 party can't do yet from 1st 2 areas cause my party does so little dmg versus damage taken (f.e. batcave assassin and invading giants) and some I managed to do with luck (like Neph party near Cotra and Nephilim Fortress (all dead in there except whoever is/are behind that door in nw and those stone constructs which get summoned if takes knife/something like that from altair)).

if you go west from fort dranlon then you'll meet more sliths than you want and near tower of magi has ogres/giants and 1 gremlin group and there's neph fortress bit north from cotra.

bunch of bats (especially giant lava bats) many places and random encounters can be anything from giant lizards to giants/ogres.

was quite close to finish bat cave assassin quest but then assassin casts wind/lighting and smite to my 1st fighter and then there comes few lavabats from corridor behind assassin and blasts 1st fighter with fireblast and he dies so didn't even get chance to heal him, next try tomorrow, got enuf about game today.

its sure nice that enemies have unlimited spellpoints since that assassin casted ~6 mass healing and ~12 wind and smite and ~6 shades.

I've read this whole thread, but I still need some pointers guys.

My group have all just hit level 7. I've completed all the quests in the first section, except for a group of nepharim encamped in the bottom west section of the first area. So I tried exploring other places:

- I went north and got my ass whooped. Literally 1 hit KOs.

- I bought a boat and went south and west, and again, got my ass whooped.

Where can I go? I don't want to explore the whole world, get dozens and dozens of quests, all of which I can't complete. I'd rather tackle 1-2 sections at a time, if it's possible.

Right now I've went back to the place where you rescue the prisoners, and I'm slowly killing all the enemies in each room (except for the middle room - too difficult).

I've only managed to do this after lowering the difficulty to normal, although I'd rather play on hard. More of a challenge...but I can't kill anything on hard right now.

Also, since it matters, this is my first Spiderweb game.

Thank you for any help.

Wow. This game really is hard. I just managed to kill spectral commander in spiral cave. It took me every dirty trick I know and pretty much all my scrolls to take him out. First I lured his retinue out and took them one by one. Then I used every boost item in my possession and went back in and just managed to kill him with concentrated attacks. One of my characters even managed to get there out alive to use resurrection scroll. Then I took out his summons one by one. The final insult was the undead posse waiting near the exit. If I had had one less resurrection scroll I would have had to do that again.

I'm playing as normal and I had level 10 party. 2 dual wielding fighters, a priest and a sorceress. As far as I can tell my build is not totally suboptimal. All I can say the difficulty can be really brutal sometimes.

@xuerebx You should be level 8-10 ish by the time you finish all the stuff in the demo area. Make sure you do all of the quests you can (the slith ones are too hard for you currently) but be sure to fully clear the neph fortress and the nephar prison (that is a bit hard as well but doable if you are careful). Other than that go north to the next town and do some easy quests like diliverys and such.

@Poomermon: The Mertis spiral is unusually hard — it's generally a good idea to come back to it after buying some AoE and mass healing spells in the Tower of Magi. If you managed to beat it before doing that, you should be very proud of yourself. And you'll probably find most of the rest of the game a bit easier.

@xuerebx: Actually, there's no need to take on the nepharim at this point, and they're probably too tough anyway. North is the way you want to go, just be careful about who you take on. The ogre may be too tough for you, and the crypt will be a challenge, but there are some easy delivery quests, and you can find those hot springs for some cheap XP. Besides that, the mayor of Formello has an important quest for you that will be much easier than a fortress full of nepharim. The bosses will be a challenge, but you can kill off a bunch of mooks for XP and loot before you take them on.

Generally, don't take on nepharim until you can comfortably beat nephilim. Then sliths, then ogres, then giants.

Originally Posted By: Kinsume
@xuerebx You should be level 8-10 ish by the time you finish all the stuff in the demo area. Make sure you do all of the quests you can (the slith ones are too hard for you currently) but be sure to fully clear the neph fortress and the nephar prison (that is a bit hard as well but doable if you are careful). Other than that go north to the next town and do some easy quests like diliverys and such.

Originally Posted By: Jerakeen

@xuerebx: Actually, there's no need to take on the nepharim at this point, and they're probably too tough anyway. North is the way you want to go, just be careful about who you take on. The ogre may be too tough for you, and the crypt will be a challenge, but there are some easy delivery quests, and you can find those hot springs for some cheap XP. Besides that, the mayor of Formello has an important quest for you that will be much easier than a fortress full of nepharim. The bosses will be a challenge, but you can kill off a bunch of mooks for XP and loot before you take them on.

Generally, don't take on nepharim until you can comfortably beat nephilim. Then sliths, then ogres, then giants.

I'll heed your advice. Thank you.

Also, is there a way to respec? I made some mistakes, I'm still getting used to this system.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Killing the Spectral Commander before level 20 is an accomplishment just because the to hit chance isn't that great.

Yeah, I beat him level 15 and my tanks were only hitting like 1 in 3 or 4 or so. However, my mages never miss so they picked up the slack. He's not that bad if you get him trapped in the hallway and then use your tanks as meat sheilds (or better yet the Priest's summoned spectre as they are immune to eachothers attacks and thus will sit for hours punding away at eachother), while your mages blast away at him.

The absolute WORST part about that fight, though, was that just when you are victorious and your poor, tired, weakened, party is leaving the dungeon you are ambushed by a specter and a bunch of ghouls. I lost my mage and a tank during the Spectral Commander fight and was just down to a tank and a severely weakened healer. I probably died more times trying to leave after winning the spectral fight than I did during it.

Which reminds me: how shy should we be about using items in this game? I am always reluctant to use "energy" potions and Resurrection scrolls just because they seem most useful in long boss fights. So I will often probably make things harder on myself than they would need be if I could use those items. I'm just scared that if I use them now I won't have them when I really do need them for some uber hard boss fight later on.

Potions can be replaced since you can buy more or have them made with herb ingredients. There are several boss fights that you can't get through without energy potions/elixirs.

Return Life scrolls are limited, but they now work to restore all dead characters instead of one at full strength so it's better to use them when needed.

as for quests: there's also easy quests at Cotra and Dranlon and random encounters (as long as those aren't Sliths or Giant Lavabats which just love to fry characters or Giants/Ogres (although those aren't common at north)) give exp needed and Spiders rescue ain't that difficult (except battles against Aranea Hivemasters and Watchers and against those imps etc at nw corner) but getting reward isn't that easy.

potions which require graymold I wouldn't use since that is very rare.

I killed assassin's pets today (not easiest task thx to those lavabats who just love to play living flamethrowers) and tomorrow I try kill assassin himself (and hope bats haven't regenerated like some Sliths, Goblins, Nephs, etc had done