Umwelt

Erebus the Black

Changing my user agent in Safari to Internet Explorer does not result in a different comic. This does work for changing it to Firefox, so I believe IE does not have its own comic. I'm too lazy to boot into Windows to find that out for sure. I would also point out, as someone who works in tech support and deals with people using IE on a daily basis, that it has come a long way since IE 6, which was in fact terrible. IE 8 and IE 9 are in fact really good web browsers now, and they are used by a large percentage of the population. When I am using Windows, I actually do use Internet Explorer because it is good enough to display webpages, which is really all you need out of a browser. If I used Windows as my primary operating system, I might feel differently, but I think a large amount of the IE hate among the technical elite stems from not using any version of IE since IE 6.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
How does Lynx even display images?
It doesn't.

Originally Posted By: uǝʍoɹ
Why would you have more then one browser on your computer? I just got one that works for me (Chrome) and don't bother getting anything else.
Because variety is good. I personally use Firefox almost-exclusively, but I still keep chrone handy for whatever reason, usually to test website-compatibility or some such.

Personally, my animus towards IE is based upon the fact that people still code web pages (and web-based tools/apps) to only work with IE. I do have the latest version on my Windows partition. I only fire up IE when required by the task at hand. I always complain to the source.

If I were feeling ambitious, I would set up a proxy or two and see if I could convince the comic that I had traveled trough space (but not time) to view it.

Why would you have more then one browser on your computer? I just got one that works for me (Chrome) and don't bother getting anything else.
According to your User Agent, you are using a Windows PC, so technically, you have two browsers, since Internet Explorer is built into Windows.

Originally Posted By: Sylae
If a website requires you to use IE then why would you visit that website. Honestly if you feel obligated to have that bug/security-ridden mess installed then you need to re-evaluate something.

One example is the time when I had to take a web-based test to apply for a position. The test only worked in Windows, in IE.

a) So you can let someone else browse without them logging you out or closing your tabs by mistake. B) So you can use two accounts at once to, for instance, set up forwarding. c) In case you accidentally delete one. d) In case one gets buggy. e) If you run a web site and like to make sure it's running well on several interfaces.

The program we use at work is IE based - you can't actually use it on an another browser. Actually, there's two programs, but the other one usually works okay in Firefox. But yeah I usually have to have both browsers on, because both programs are needed. I could use just IE, but... :|

At home I'm still using this old Windows PC, so IE is ... around. I prefer Firefox though. And for some reason my brother once installed Opera here and I've never gotten around to uninstalling it.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
According to your User Agent, you are using a Windows PC, so technically, you have two browsers, since Internet Explorer is built into Windows.

Is there a way to uninstall IE from windows with out windows crying?

Technically you can remove it from Programs and Features in the Control Panel, but all that really does is remove the shortcuts to it. It will still be on your computer because Windows uses the same engine for Windows Explorer.

Click to reveal..

Technically you can remove it from Programs and Features in the Control Panel, but all that really does is remove the shortcuts to it. It will still be on your computer because Windows uses the same engine for Windows Explorer.

Curses, and I really thought I had rid myself if it. Its like the herpes of windows, always there even when you think its gone.

Not just the layout, but the comic itself.

Actually, it seemed to me that the layout stayed the same, and only the comic changed. I wasn't paying too close attention to the layout, though, so I may be mistaken.

Internet Explorer gave up trying to display the comic. Firefox had a snake extending through several panels, and going in and out of the portals from Portal. Chrome had people looking at the aurora borealis and saying that they were normal clouds. My smartphone said "There does not exist - nor could there ever exist - a plugin capable of displaying this content."

Any other variations?

http://www.reddit.com/r/comics/comments/rnpiw/mindboggling_xkcd_april_fools_comic/c47927k

As of when I last loaded that page (maybe half an hour ago), there were two in the comments that aren't compiled at the top; a "Google corporate security" one and a "Rockmelt" one. Maybe they'll be complied by the time you read this.

Originally Posted By: Sylae
If a website requires you to use IE then why would you visit that website. Honestly if you feel obligated to have that bug/security-ridden mess installed then you need to re-evaluate something.

Because the web platform of the company that hires you for consultations doesn't let you log in and work if you're not using IE7, or IE8 in compatibility mode, has problems loading in IE9 compatibility mode? laugh

Thousand, I think you win the "Quiet Long Presences" award.

It was probably created by some other, active member as a gimmick account for the user number 1000, but then lost that status after the board switch. Dunno whose it is, though.

EDIT: Oh, Riibu.

Edit: Rather than being redundant, I encourage you all to check out the xkcd forum. They've found a lot of them, including some that only show up if you're referred by Wikipedia or Twitter.
The reddit thread I linked earlier has more, though.