Community History: Name Users!

Slawbug

Okay, so here's a basic prototype of my compilation of users by category and era. I might break some of these down by year later, but for now these categories will suffice. Likewise, deciding which subculture to pick for people in more than 1 during the same time period, that's a task for later. Right now the goal is just to generate a long list.

Question marks indicate that I'm not sure either about the timing or the subculture placement for that person.

Short lists, especially in the earlier eras and for Aimhack, just mean I don't know who really belongs there -- they don't mean I am ignoring folks.

But I have likely forgotten some very relevant names all over the place. ALL suggestions, whether additions or modifications, will be appreciated.

Remember, we are looking for users who were NOTICEABLE and NOTABLE -- who either posted a lot or affected the board culture somehow. So we don't need a list of everyone who ever posted in a certain era. That said, right now I am more interested in quantity than quality; the list can be culled later. But for Northern Isles, say, people who played 1 game don't need to go on the list. (Also, I can look at UBB- and PPP-generated lists of users, too; I am most interested in what comes to mind for people who were part of the community during these eras.)

(Note: I am strongly considering getting rid of the Northern Isles and Aimhack subcultures since almost everyone in them is already in another distinct subculture.)

BLADES COMMUNITY ERA (1998-2000)

(ERA 1) OLD BOE GUARD

Brett Bixler, Tarl Roger Kudrick

(ERA 1) THE ARENA

Akhronath, Aceron, Drakey, Thurilith, Alec, Zaloopa, Pokeytax

(ERA 1) NOUVELLE VAGUE OF BOE

Alcritas

(ERA 1) OTHER MAJOR PERSONALITIES

Somewhere in this era but not 100% sure where:

Stareye, Drizzt, TM, Ben Frank, Measle, Luz?, Rosycat?, Skyle?, TGM?, VCH?

OLD SW ERA (2001-2003)

(ERA 2) REMAINING BOE-FOCUSED FOLK (PRESENCE MOSTLY ON LYCEUM)

Stareye, Creator (Both), Shyguy, Measle, Alcritas, Kattana?, E-Master?

(ERA 2) OUTSPOKEN DESPERS

TM, Alec, Djur, Scorpius

(ERA 2) ESTABLISHMENT-FRIENDLY DESPERS

Drakey, Khoth, Thurilith, Saunders, Imban, Sullust?

(ERA 2) POLARIS

ADoS, Logalot, Alorael, Arancaytar, SMoE, Lady J?

(ERA 2) ESTABLISHMENTARIANS

Stareye, Zeviz, Schrodinger

(ERA 2) ACTIVE MEMBERS-AT-LARGE

ADoS, Robinator, Archmage Alex, Rosycat?, Icshi, TGM?, Dahak?, Nikki, Sir David, Wise Man, Morgan?, Omlette, JtD?, ef, Zephyr Tempest

MIDDLE SW ERA (2004-2006)

(ERA 3) OUTSPOKEN DESPERS

TM, Alec, Djur, Scorpius

(ERA 3) ESTABLISHMENT-FRIENDLY DESPERS

Drakey, Khoth, Thurilith, Saunders, Imban

(ERA 3) POLARIS

Alorael, Arancaytar, ADoS, Logalot?, SMoE?

(ERA 3) ESTABLISHMENTARIANS

Stareye, Kelandon

(ERA 3) RICHARD WHITE CULT

Icshi, Alorael, Archmage Alex, Dikiyoba, Student of Trinity, Spring

(ERA 3) TRANSITIONAL DESIGN COMMUNITY

Kelandon, Jewels, BainIhrno

(ERA 3) PROTO-SHADOW VALE CROWD

Tyranicus, Marlenny, Dareva, Slarty, Kelandon, Ephesos, Salmon, Jewels, Synergy, Nikki, Nicothodes, Dintiradan, Grimm/Assassin

(ERA 3) ACTIVE MEMBERS-AT-LARGE

Ash Lael?, WKS, Goldenking, Student of Trinity, Ben, Sir David, Wise Man, Thralni, Omlette, Dolphin, Niemand, ef, Zephyr Tempest, MagmaDragoon

NEW SW ERA (2007-Present)

(ERA 4) ESTABLISHMENTARIANS

Stareye, Kelandon, Slarty, Randomizer, Thurilith, Arancaytar, DV, Synergy

(ERA 4) SHADOW VALE / BOA

Tyranicus, Marlenny, Ephesos, Salmon, Nikki, Nicothodes, Dintiradan, Smoo, Grimm/Assassin, Thralni, CM?, Niemand

(ERA 4) CRF / ANTI-ESTABLISHMENT

Salmon, Jewels, ETSD, Nalyd, Sylae, Nioca, Bloodmoon, Iffy, Xelgion, Excalibur, Ackrovan

(ERA 4) NORTHERN ISLES

Stareye, Alorael, Ash Lael, Bloodmoon, Dikiyoba, Excalibur, Marlenny, Ackrovan, Sarachim, Thuryl, Xelgion, Sporefrog, RCCCL, Wz As, Nioca

(ERA 4) AIMHACK

Ephesos, Nioca, Thurilith, Sylae

(ERA 4) ACTIVE MEMBERS-AT-LARGE

ADoS?, The Mystic, Earth Empires, Master1, Trenton

NO ERAS FOR NOW

(ERA X) QUIET LONG PRESENCES

Andraste, Drew, Rowen, Enraged Slith, Actaeon, VCH, Micawber, Sullust, Khoth, Sarachim

(ERA X) PUBLIC NUISANCES

Solberg, Shotts, Vince, Tails, Public Enemy, Ed, Arghhhhhhhhh, Abhishek

(ERA X) FAQSERS/MINMAXERS

Schrodinger, Slarty, Randomizer, DV

(ERA X) BLADES ARTISTS

Luz, TGM, Dahak

Also, Dantius. What do I do with you, Dantius? You know what I mean.

Luz belongs in Era 1, I think, but the BoE crowd would know better. Rosycat didn't even join the boards until early 2003, and her major claim to fame was inspiring creepy feigned (I hope) attraction on these boards.

Lady J wasn't really much of a Polaris member. She had her own forums.

—Alorael, who feels like a number of the early things are a little off... but also doesn't trust his memories. He'll strongly advocate for filing ET under public nuisances. Oh, and TM, too! His nuisance integrated over time is probably larger than most of the high impulse, short duration irritants!

Yay, I was somewhat noticeable. Though I'm curious as to exactly what you mean by anti-establishmentarians.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
I don't know if you want to create a subgroup of the Finnish members. The height of their activity was that topic in General about 3 or 4 years ago that started out all in Finnish and Iffy finding out that Google translate didn't do Finnish.

I don't remember this happening... o.O

I don't think most of us Finns have ever been quite as notorious as we've sometimes been claimed to be. Apart from TGM and Milu the rest of us have been quite general posters. I'm not even sure how much of a presence Arctic was - Khoth probably remembers better considering he was actually there.

The point of the groupings / subcultures is to create easy overviews: overviews of who was active, what some of the major social groups were like, and how both of the above colored the board culture.

Thus, it is not necessary to have a subculture for every possible characteristic people might have in common. If a potential subculture's members are mostly already in other categories, that subculture probably doesn't aid the overview, unless it was especially critical somehow.

Originally Posted By: Alorawhatever
—Alorael, who feels like a number of the early things are a little off... but also doesn't trust his memories.

Can you please be more specific? For the early eras I am currently working off of very haphazard snapshots on the Internet Archive, a paragraph Stareye wrote in 2008, and 2 sentences from Lilith the other day. So, your memories are a valuable source, even if you preface them with caveats.

Originally Posted By: Jewels in Black
And Dantius is oh-so anti-establishment. wink

Of course. That isn't the dilemma I face with Dantius, who may as well just PM me and fill me in, at this point.

Originally Posted By: Iffy
Yay, I was somewhat noticeable.

Um, your series of demon muffin scripts and demon muffin comments inserted all over General was beyond noticeable. smile

Originally Posted By: Khoth
It's been so long, I don't remember if Arctic was just a standard active poster or a member of some clique (apart from Room 3 of course).

Likewise, Khoth, anything else you can contribute would be very valuable; see above for my lack of sources. Who exactly attended Room 3, anyway?

Since Slarty is asking for scraps...

The person who introduced me to Spiderweb back around 1999-2000-ish went by Relhan (maybe with a Sir or Lord tacked on front) on the internet. I don't know if he was ever on the SW forums, but he was part of a BoE web-ring, so he must have had some interactions with someone in the community. I don't think he ever finished a scenario, but I remember he talked to me about making one, and I know he made custom BoE graphics. I also recall him interacting with someone named Aceron (I think, or something that sounded like that) who did BoE stuff.

That may not be at all helpful, Slarty, but I figured I'd chime in with a fragment of knowledge from that era.

Wow... Relhan. I haven't heard that name in a long time. Never knew him. I think he was involved in the Arena. As it has come down to me, he was involved in the fan-made history of the Empire, which survives to the present day on Encyclopedia Ermariana:

http://encyclopedia.ermarian.net/wiki/Relhan_canon

I'm not sure of the relevance of this to a history specifically of forums, but there was also a Blades email list around the late '90s/early aughts. It wasn't as full of discussion as some of the forums and other sites, but a decent number of scenario designers and people who participated in the other sites were on there. The two I remember off the top of my head were Sir Robin and Tor...Argh, but I think there were others of note.

Also, I vaguely recall Relhan having his own site on the Blades webring, but I wouldn't swear to that. The only thing I remember for sure was that he made some high quality custom graphics.

Room 3 was me, Saunders, Arctic, I think also Scorp, Morgan and sometimes Riibu. It's been so long...

We were responsible for the fluffy turtles, and I think possibly also "leave your sanity at the door".

A google search turns up some posts from 2006 where I'm being nostalgic about back then. So now I have double-nostalgia...

The Blades email list is relevant, as it's the history of the community. (Maybe less relevant to the user lists, but still.) I know there were mailing lists for at least Exile 2 and 3 prior to that, with plenty of messages from Jeff, but those seem to have been largely quest hints and comments and less of a community thing. Good catch!

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
Will Ermarian be up and running again soon? It would be an easy means of finding major posters (though whether they made an impact is entirely subjective).

(Also, in an only marginally related note, I think Nikki might be a contendor to take Eph's top 10 position.)

Wayback has an archive of it if that helps.

Okay. VCH was an early community member, but early Blades? It's not ringing bells. I'm pretty sure TGM also wasn't one of the pre-history Blades crowd; he'd be Era 2 at the earliest. And he was on Polaris too, at least for a while.

If Saunders counts at a Desper, I think I should too... although maybe I was less accepted there. I also think I probably became an establishmentarian eventually. I've been a mod for a frighteningly long time now.

Arctic is definitely an active member at large in Era 2. Omlette belongs in Era 2 as well, probably, as a member at large. And later, too, maybe?

—Alorael, who may need to refer back to other Slartographics for members of note. Element cards, anyone?

Wayback's archive of PPP is incomplete. However, I've spoken with Aran and he expects PPP to be back online in the relatively near future.

Again, the litmus test for groups isn't so much "what groups could you count as a member of"; rather it's "what group is the most striking fit for you in an overview." For overview purposes, you fit better outside of Desp. (You should already have been in Establishmentarians by era 3-4, though.)

TGM and VCH I had some reason for putting in era 1 with question marks. I think it was things they said, either here or on Lyceum intro forum threads.

Really, era 1 is the tough one to suss out, plus any era 2 folk who were active on the Lyceum before SW. UBB has preserved account creation dates so UBB stuff is easy.

This all makes me feel old! I had an account on the old forums whose name I can no longer remember when I was in high school, and remember a lot of these names.

Could we at least introduce these threads by throwing in an "It seems like it was only yesterday..." instead of "It was so long ago none of us truly remember"?

I don't really get the Public Nuisances category. I mean, even if people like ETSD fit into other categories, the fact that they were hugely annoying and, more importantly, became infamous for being so meant they had a noticeable impact on the community. If that's the case, then ETSD, Ghaldring, and TM belong on that list. Also, I'm not sure about the inclusion of Abhi and Argh^9. Argh^9 is only remembered because his parting line was so memetic and Abhi was mostly annoying in private channels. If they belong on the list, so do lots of others: Iffy, Zephyr Tempest, Lord Llama and Mad Bomber, Jeran Korak, etc.

Originally Posted By: Ackrovan
Edit: I really got to start wearing my glasses. I know I should, but I'm knew to the whole glasses thing and they keep sliding off.

Take them in and get them adjusted. The place that sold you the glasses should adjust them for you for free. If you can get them adjusted right, they should be so comfortable you can almost forget that you're wearing them.

Dikiyoba has lost Dikiyoba's glasses while wearing them numerous times. You'd think the non-blurry eyesight would be a significant clue as to where they are, but apparently not.

@Slarty: Yeah, I recall the E2 list as well, though I think it was after Jeff was posting on it regularly. It seemed a lot less lively than the Blades list (seems to dovetail with what you and others say about Blades being the nucleus of the early community), which is why I didn't mention it before.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Wayback's archive of PPP is incomplete. However, I've spoken with Aran and he expects PPP to be back online in the relatively near future.

Again, the litmus test for groups isn't so much "what groups could you count as a member of"; rather it's "what group is the most striking fit for you in an overview." For overview purposes, you fit better outside of Desp. (You should already have been in Establishmentarians by era 3-4, though.)

TGM and VCH I had some reason for putting in era 1 with question marks. I think it was things they said, either here or on Lyceum intro forum threads.

Really, era 1 is the tough one to suss out, plus any era 2 folk who were active on the Lyceum before SW. UBB has preserved account creation dates so UBB stuff is easy.

In case you don't remember, which I expect is true, I used to go the embarrassing PDN of Corey, which was, and is, my real name. In my defence I was like 8 or 9 years old at the time.

I also have a foggy memory of having major arguments with TM, who I thought was a major tool, and finally, if memory serves me correctly, I am the person that started the ORIGINAL Nephilim vs. Slith topic. I remember creating it after having some sort of a flame war with a a member whose PDN may have started with a "D". It was kinda my way of cooling things down, but, again, I was like less than 12 years old, so you know . . .

(In fact, I'm almost certain I started that topic, as it was one of the few topics of mine that got past 100 posts)

PS: Does anyone remember that short story that one of our members wrote about a Nephilim (plus goblin) attack on a Slith Fort? That was pretty cool and would be worth reposting at some point—maybe I still have it somewhere?

Yes, I remember you as Corey, and I was torn between you and Mr. Hofut starting the Nephils vs. Sliths. And to be fair to 8 or 9 year old VCH, TM probably was being a tool. That statement is true for almost any given moment of TM's presence here.

—Alorael, who knows only that long ago, the Spiderwebbers Polarans people were dying at the end of the world. But that all happened long ago, and now there are none who remember it. And that's your obscure reference for the day.

Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan
Although, I do think Nebulan should be added to the CRF roster. He's been part of it since it started.

I believe Nebulan and Xelgion are the same person. If not, I'll add Nebulan. Can anyone clarify?

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
I don't really get the Public Nuisances category. I mean, even if people like ETSD fit into other categories, the fact that they were hugely annoying and, more importantly, became infamous for being so meant they had a noticeable impact on the community. If that's the case, then ETSD, Ghaldring, and TM belong on that list. Also, I'm not sure about the inclusion of Abhi and Argh^9. Argh^9 is only remembered because his parting line was so memetic and Abhi was mostly annoying in private channels. If they belong on the list, so do lots of others: Iffy, Zephyr Tempest, Lord Llama and Mad Bomber, Jeran Korak, etc.

Yes, this is one of the categories where my original list was woefully incomplete. In my draft of the next version I've retitled it "Public Spectacles" because that's a little broader and a little fairer. The list I have for that now (will be sorted by year later):
Solberg, Shotts, Vince, Tails, Public Enemy, Ed, Arghhhhhhhhh, Abhishek, Shaper Master, Upon Mars, Stillness, Uber, Lone Flame, Zephyr Tempest, Iffy, Jeran Korak

Arghhhhhhhhh was the subject of some debates in General as I recall, and his contemporaneity with Ed is probably the main reason he's remembered so well. But he is, and Bomber and Lord Llama weren't even memorable during the brief time they were here. Iffy is easy enough to place in Spectacles initially and in the CRF group after that. TM, ETSD and Ghaldring are special cases because, although they were spectacles on many occasions, they alternated between being spectacles and fitting neatly into other groups. TM in particular was not that much more of a spectacle than several of his peers (e.g., Alec) in the early days, and there was a definite difference in TM and Alec's sort of spectacle versus Shotts or Public Enemy. I guess the key point for the spectacles group is lack of integration into any part of the community at the time of spectacle. Ghaldring is also a special case because I still need to figure out what to do with that potentially very long string of accounts.

But he is, and Bomber and Lord Llama weren't even memorable during the brief time they were here.

Lord Llama is the first person mentioned in this thread whose name I don't recognize at all, for what that's worth. Wait, and also Tails. (I remember there being an account "Jeran Korak," but I don't remember what it did. Wasn't that someone's second or third PDN?)

Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan
Although, I do think Nebulan should be added to the CRF roster. He's been part of it since it started.

I believe Nebulan and Xelgion are the same person. If not, I'll add Nebulan. Can anyone clarify?

Oh dear god no, Neb and Vergil (as they are called at CRF) are two very different entities.

No, his name was Nebulan when he joined here. He only visited the SW boards for a short time before becoming a regular at CRF.

Quote:
Take them in and get them adjusted. The place that sold you the glasses should adjust them for you for free. If you can get them adjusted right, they should be so comfortable you can almost forget that you're wearing them.

Dikiyoba has lost Dikiyoba's glasses while wearing them numerous times. You'd think the non-blurry eyesight would be a significant clue as to where they are, but apparently not.

I've only had them for 3 days so I might just be not used to having a paper-weight on my face. If it persists for more then a week I was told to come back in to have them adjusted.

Considering how often I loose cell phones, keys, homework, library cards, and ipods, I completely expect this to be an expensive accessory at the least.

Wasn't Nebulan the person who started the rainbow text meme?

---

Originally Posted By: Kelandon
Lord Llama is the first person mentioned in this thread whose name I don't recognize at all, for what that's worth.

I remember Lord Llama and Bomber because they talked about Foamy the Squirrel incessantly. And also because Bomber came back after a long absence and suddenly started insulting everyone in sight, for which he was quickly banned.

Quote:
(I remember there being an account "Jeran Korak," but I don't remember what it did.

Was it Tyran's alternate while his account was down?

Dikiyoba pulls out Jeran Korak's enchanted flaming ten-foot long greatsword of +25 melee damage and +5 strength and +101 compensation and violently stabs anyone who can't remember his inappropriate, nonstop, and overpowered role playing. Begone, you foul plebeians!

(I remember there being an account "Jeran Korak," but I don't remember what it did. Wasn't that someone's second or third PDN?)

I have a memory of that. Was it Tyran's alternate while his account was down?

Jeran Korak participated in a few short lived RPs while he was here and was distinguished with having an overpowered huge sword much like Elric's Stormbringer.

Tyran's has a few accounts but I think they are documented somewhere in PPP.

Originally Posted By: Iffy
Yay, I was somewhat noticeable.

Um, your series of demon muffin scripts and demon muffin comments inserted all over General was beyond noticeable. smile

Quite unfortunate, really. I was fairly young at the time.

As to the comments of putting me in the public nuisances category, I was only a pest for the first year, really. tongue

And some of us were just too old by the time Spiderweb came around. But somewhere on the internet are the archives of some mid-90's listhosts full of obnoxious questions from my own embarrassing pre-teen self.

From this era?

Yes. And let's keep those links from moving up google's search priority, thanks smile