Recommendations please

Jerakeen

I've decided to give BoE another try, mainly because I hate missing out on all these scenarios.

Problem is, I'm super-bored with VoDT, having played it in BoA at least half a dozen times. Can anyone recommend a good starting scenario? Obviously it should be suitable for a level one party, with access to appropriate equipment, spells etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you'd be more than pleased by running through all ten of Alcritas' Scenarios, a.k.a. "The Arc", beginning with "On a Ship to Algiers". It's the recommended starting Scenario of a ten episode history of a world of his creation with all the comforts of reality.

Follow the suggested playing sequence and if you run into any problems, just post 'em here. Most everyone in the Community has played them all.

There are varying degrees of difficulty and you may notice that most are written in a slightly different style from each other.

Lastly, the Author appears to be keeping in contact with this Board should you have any serious questions.

me

Well, that didn't take long. I'm stuck in the Foreboding Tower, having made it as far as the fairies. A glance at the FAQ reveals this advice:

Click to reveal..
Once you get to the Faeries, don't listen to Willy! He's

trying to trick you! Instead, ask Nicky about the Staff,

she'll tell you where to really find it.

But I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I've clicked on literally every word of her dialogue; I even tried clicking 'buy' and 'sell' out of desperation, but all she does is complain about Willy not letting her do anything. Bug, or brain dead?

• 2 weeks later...

For posterity, I'll note that while Algiers was interesting it was not quite what I had in mind as an alternative to VoDT. So far, 'At The Gallows' seems to be more like it.

Apropos of which, does anyone know where I can store my stuff in AtG? I can't remember which room I started in, if that was it.

I assumed that because you were new to BoE you were looking for a starting point. Although Algiers is a "Beginner" type scenario, the rest of the series gets much more involved and difficult. As I originally stated, "The Arc" is probably the most played and appreciated series in the BoE group of scenarios; as much for it's complexity of game play, but IMNSHO, for the main Story-Line. But, of course, it requires the commitment to play through them all.

I agree whole heartedly that ATG should satisfy your gaming desire in that it is large and involving. If you hit all the details, you'll be at it for a while.

How about another series of three scenarios? Drizzt made a good, and reasonably difficult group. They are:

The Foresaken

Brotherhood of the Hand

Shadow of the Stranger

These won't take as long to play through as The Arc, but should be quite rewarding if you're looking for something much more involved.

me

Lastly, and I'll drop out of the picture; the "Adventurer's Club" trilogy is worth an effort, also. Specifically, AC-3 is quite large and although there are some battles, they're more about the Player resolving searches than most of the mayhem that is in other scenarios. IIRC, AC-3 is the largest of all Scenarios.

me

Spears (also from Stareye) is probably a pretty good scenario for a beginning party. Much easier overall than AtG, though, both in terms of easier monsters and better equipment proliferating.

(BTW, how'd AtG go? I've never made it through to the final fight, always got stuck in the stupid portculli in Gallows Keep.)