Small suggestion for the scenario editor

Prince of Kitties

Currently, AFAIK, getting the coordinates of a space is rather inconvenient. I think it would be better to have a box somewhere on the screen that displayed the coordinates of whatever space the cursor was over, or had been over before it was dragged out of the editing window.

(Not sure how much trouble that would be, though...)

No, I don't. smile I meant getting the coordinates for any space in a scenario that's opened in the Scenario Editor. You need the X,Y coordinates of the affected space for certain special nodes.

(Currently, AFAIK, the only way to do this is to create an item on the space and check the item's coordinates. This is a pain in the neck.)

That's CBoE trunk, yeah. Right-clicking just paints like it normally would, except it stays "clicked" until you click again (to make it easier to fill in large areas, I guess, although all it's ever done is make me swear when I accidentally hit it and wash out my map with gave floor).

It must only be in the mac...maybe we can replace the current Windows right-click action with this? Unless I'm the only person who thinks the fill thing is completely useless and irritating...idk.

The only fancy navigation things I have found are Ctrl-numpad to scroll to the edge of the map.

D'oh! I hadn't even noticed the center indicator. Go me.

IMO it would be better if it showed the coords that the cursor was currently over (or last coords the cursor was over, if it was off the editable area). Though "clicking the map and have the coords filled in on the node" would be even better.

But of course, the fundamental problem is really the point-and-clickness of BoE nodework... I think I've only just started appreciating the absurd amount of work that's gone into scenarios, especially big ones like "Falling Stars" or "At the Gallows." I can't imagine the work involved; it seems like a truly Herculean effort - like writing a game in object oriented Perl while wearing a blindfold and mittens.

Truth be told, I've attempted several times to start on a scenario (I already have a good idea of the plot and characters), and every time I've run into a brick wall of "I don't have time for this." I know how things should work, but translating that into special nodes is very, very time-consuming.

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and purchase a copy of Blades of Avernum, which is backed by scripting instead of this dodgy nodework... umm... stuff. I just can't seem to get used to the whole isometric movement thing.

... Wow, that was longer than I intended. Sorry for derailing the thread.

Edit: OTOH, Harehunter, your editor looks awesome.

Yeah, on one hand BoA's scripting is nice, on the other hand it's a really clunky language and the documentation is...let's not go there.

Still, at one point maybe having a scripted node setup for BoE would be nice. The point-and-click editor could just generate a script that gets put into the exs, which would act as a renamed .tar.gz or some such. But I suspect such an endevour is rather low on the "crap to get done" list.

Having been interested with map editors for a very long time already, I am keen to know what something similar I could pull off with this. Well, I know that there aren't too many options considering what level you guys operate with.

I assume that coordinates of a space though will be available to the given ones which will make it a lot easier to handle.