Insert Random Nethergate: Resurrection Questions Here

There's a twisted moral tale in here somewhere. I try not to think too much about the moral implications of the SW games, because if you do think about it, it's rather disturbing. Nothing should explify this more than what I had to do in G4 as the Insidious Infiltrator to make the most powerful and able PC possible. The more you kill and steal, the better you get.

-S-

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Avernum 4 was the first time that we tried to list all the moral dilemmas that Jeff placed in the game. There were several pages of justifications and ways of making up for our actions.

As Romans the morality of killing these strange creatures fits in with the culture. The Celts have less justification since these are their allies.

I was glad to see that as the Celts, the hags asked for something different - and I also thought it was cool to send me back to close to the start.

Sylak's bricks sure multiply fast, huh? I've tried dropping *large* stacks of the, but no effect - another trash item?

[That and the puzzle box, no big deal. But I'd like to be able to return the earrings!]

Quote:
Originally written by ewan:
Sylak's bricks sure multiply fast, huh? I've tried dropping *large* stacks of the(m), but no effect - another trash item?
They replicate AND you can't drop them? How could that be? I carried the bricks around a while. Nothing happened, so I put them down somewhere. What do you mean, "no effect?"

-S-

Sorry - I was apparently imprecise.

'No effect' as in 'when I pile two hundred set sof bricks on one another, no magic wall appears' - nor any other effect, which was the best I could com up with as a guess (giving them to the Celts in the starting fort who talk about wall building).

Easily droppable. And I wouldn't expect that they would so totally duplicate the trash, so I assume that there is *some* use, but...

[i did enjoy playing dice in the Hollow Hills with Sylak's dice, though]

I think I can finish the game as Romans just fine w/out completing certain quests that I--not a Roman, so this is metathinking I guess--find morally repulsive. I don't have a problem killing things that attack me on sight in these games, but walking up to a non-hostile entity...I just can't stomach it. Cool loot is great and all, but I don't have to acquire everything.

In a way it's roleplaying. W/ the selkies, I had earlier saved the poor guy tied up and left to die. No way I'm going to do a 180 and start slaughtering them. It's too close to how I feel about seal hunters in the real world...

Anyway, this is just me. I don't mean to sound preachy or tell anyone else how they should play the game.

Not at all, BenS. It's a nice way to play the game. When I first played Avernum 3, my first SW game, I didn't steal anything that wasn't mine. I was a very polite PC. A PC PC?

Thanks for clarifying about the bricks, ewan. Yeah, good thinking, that maybe if you collected enough and put them somewhere they'd do something. Maybe they are kind of an easter egg in that unless you do exactly the right thing with them, they won't demonstrate their amazingness.

Or maybe Jeff got less than mind-bendingly creative with Sylak item #14 and made it just like the Exuberant Trash and the Nourishing Bowl and the Dancing Cloth.

-S-

I rousted Titus from his first lair and I'm at the Hall of the Lamp now. When I try to get through the only inner gate that seems to be possible to open, I get a message about proving myself and that the grove and the power of the great hunter will break the seal.

What do I need to do?

Mac

{edited} Never mind. I got it.

Hello. I've been playing Nethergate:Resurrection for a couple of days. I'm now waiting for my hint book to show up. I was wondering if anyone could drop me a few tips to tide me over. I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately, and for some reason, whenever that happens, I end up playing a lot of Spiderweb games.

Questions:

How do you get the forest spirit or whatever to let you into that big spire? The plants keep turning me back.

In the big Galag dungeon, I've found my way over all of the first level and most of the second. But I know there is more to the dungeon. I also suspect that there may be a way to get to the platforms where the big ugly guys stand to toss rocks at the party, but I haven't found it. Is there a lower level, and if so, how do I get to it?

Also, I think I have the lost ball, but I can't find the boy who lost it.

Welcome. You're not saying that Nethergate is a cure for your insomnia, are you?

Well, let's see here...

You won't be able to get into the Spire for some time, and you will know when you can, so don't worry about it too much just now.

There is more to Galag-Trav than you have yet found. It doesn't go down another level, but there are four secret areas to be found on level two, plus two more minor ones. Keep poking around. If you're out of patience, you can find them listed by general location in my NR Items list linked below. The list is basically full of spoilers of a sort, so don't look unless you're sure you want to. Also, there is a FAQ to the old NG game linked through the header in this forum, which is still useful for much of Resurrection for many more tips.

Do you remember where you found the lost ball? It's not far, as the crow files, from the boy who lost it.

-S-

The game doesn't cure insomnia. That's what I do while waiting for the drugs to take effect. smile More seriously, these games have been a comfort to me in time of illness, which is why I keep spending money I don't have on them.

I found the secret areas in galag-trav, and I gave the ball back to the boy. Now I'm going to try to sleep. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

I am playing as celts and seem to be blocked from going into Shadow Valley, so I can't get to the Abandoned Mine and do the Rose Lady quest. I have fought off a few Roman patrols, but now when I go south when "Near Shadow Valley" there is a message about Roman tracks, patrols, "You might get through, but it's far too risky. You back away." I have a total of 20 woodscraft across the party, thinking that might help but no dice.

Any tips?

• 2 weeks later...

It's my understanding that if you already wiped out the goblins close to the Fort that you aren't able to complete the seek-and-destroy mission on the Fomorian.

No Sylak's Crazy Sharpie for you!

[but for the record, he's a little ways west of there, within a square bordered by tall stone blocks IIRC]

Is there any way to kill Sylak? I got him to about 1/3 or so, with a ton of allies and most of his guards charmed, but then he cast this massive aoe that insta-killed half my party and healed a ton. Or is there just one ending for Romans?

What does food do? Seems pretty useless now.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, really, the fairy was dead on Day 5? I'm surprised about that...a lot. That seems much too early. I never encountered that.

Sylak can no longer be killed, but you could kill him up until one of the last betas...which basically messed up the game.

Food is really quite unuseful, except very early on in the game when eating some restores a significant portion of your health.

-S-

Are you sure that the dead fairy is important? Gaitlan is imprisoned in the southwest and I got him out much later in the game. Sure there were some stone guardians in the way, but you are eventually strong enough to handle them. There is a dead wolf in the north prison that is not the one you want.

That was kind of fun. What do you do with the two dragon scales if you are a Roman? One for killing the dragon, the other found behind Reptrakos hall?

I could enter the first two sections of the Hall of the Lamp, but not the third section as Romans. How do I get into the third part?

I thought the spirit in the hedge maze was going to give me some clippers to escape. It just says you can leave now. It would have been better if he gave you some magical hedge clippers to escape. :p

Quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:
That was kind of fun. What do you do with the two dragon scales if you are a Roman? One for killing the dragon, the other found behind Reptrakos hall?
The scales are only used by the Celts. They aren't useful to the Romans.

Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
Originally by Randomizer:

Quote:
Step here again to revive the egg
Didn't Jeff mention on the forums once that Nethergate had an easter egg that no one ever found? Something about stepping in all the outdoor corners, or something similar? Does anyone remember something like that?

Dikiyoba.
Hello everybody.

I signed up just to say this, and I don't know if most people know where it is, but I blundered into the first spot you have to step on. It's a small patch of yellow mushrooms near the far west side of the valley in the woods north of the riven and south of the town. I think it types 'It Begins' or somesuch when you step on them.

Cheers

North- Crate Crate Barrel.

What does that mean?

Where are the goblins the witch wants you to kill to get her skulls back? She said east, but the only goblin settlement I found was Galag-Trav. I looked all around Galag-Trav and didn't find them.

Why does the Blade of Vengeance do extra damage to goblins but not formorians?

Originally written by Igor:

North- Crate Crate Barrel.

What does that mean?

Push the 2 crates and barrel until they line up on the rugs along the west wall. When they are in the proper order, the portal send you to a different location.

Where are the goblins the witch wants you to kill to get her skulls back? She said east, but the only goblin settlement I found was Galag-Trav. I looked all around Galag-Trav and

didn't find them.

The goblins are hiding to the north and south outside the mountains surrounding Galag-Trav. One in the trashpit and the other in a cave near the river.

Why does the Blade of Vengeance do extra damage to goblins but not formorians?

Formorians need the Fomorian slayer blade. They are classed differently than humanoids since they are giants.

On the Roman side there are some hidden rooms that have wheels to open areas so you have access to that final room north of the Djinn. Watch for cave slimes in the second room.

The Celts have to just go through a wall in the cave slime area.

Use the mapping spell to find the secret areas.

EDIT: I finally found them in-game. New question: Where are the five beasts? I've found two--the one in the Goblin Fort and one...elsewhere--I don't remember right now--but I'm still missing three.

EDIT AGAIN: Make that missing two...I found the one in Anwnn.

Also, how do I get my woodcraft skill up to ten in order to find that wolf? The highest I've got is four.

The 5 beast for the Celts are -

Goblin Pits on the lowest level

Ruined Hall on the lower level

Goagh-Nar on the middle level crypts

Castle Aethdoc in the south wing southeast corner

Annwn in the northwest part of the Valleys of Annwn

If you missed one of the last three then it's too late to go back when you leave.

Normally I'd say the walkthrough is enough, but the more I look at this game, the more I think that a quest checklist would be better. Anyone have one by any chance? Y'know, just:

Quest Name/Location recieved/Location of Quest

That way you could go down the list and check for ones you've missed. And if you need more info you can always use the walkthrough.