Insert Random Nethergate: Resurrection Questions Here

I'll start:

1) What does the Wand of Carrunos do? Or, more specifically, what does Aura of Carrunos do? I thought it might cast Terror on a foe, or maybe Curse, but I can't tell.

2) There is a box in Goagh-Nar a bit to the NE of the main entry which is next to a box with a Blessed Spear in it. This box seems unopenable. Is it openable? I only have Keys I-IV with me while here this game. The old NG FAQ suggests it takes one of the keys. I could have gotten Key V from the Selkies, I suppose, but getting Key VI would be a ridiculous wait before entering Goagh-Nar.

3) What does Sylak's Wisdom Rock do exactly?

4) In Goagh-Nar, there is a note made by the Fomorian prisoner in the SE cell saying to press both eyes to open something. Where is this done?

5) I found a second box that won't unlock, so evidently, KEY V or VI is needed in Goagh-Nar. In this picture, note the two small square rooms (?) I have not found access into? Is there a room inside either of these?

tworooms.jpg

-S-

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1: In E1 Wands of Carrunos have a range of 0 and are therefore useless. In all other Spiderweb games they make enemies stronger. I didn't check in N:R, but I assume the result is more health and possibly buffs for your foes. Don't use the wand.

2 and 5: There are several places where you're unlikely to be able to open a box when you first reach it. Remember them and come back, because the treasure usually matches the party you'll have when you get the key, not the party you have when you first find the box.

3: Something nice but not nice enough, as I recall. A bonus to Intelligence? Maybe Faerie Lore too? I only checked once and didn't save.

4: Huh. I don't remember.

—Alorael, who really thinks Jeff should've hidden a box requiring Key VI and maybe the lamp key (no spoiler here!) in the beginning of the first Celt goblin dungeon. And he should have put phat lewt in it. That would have been great!

1) That seems vaguely, and perversely familiar now.

2) The FAQ suggests there is a blessed battle axe in the other box. Goagh-Nar is not a place I can return to, so this game, I lose that and whatever is in the other mystery box (the one in the picture I posted.) Looks like the ticket is to get KEYS I-V before going into Goagh-Nar. I would have thought it required no more than IV, since it is early in the quests, relatively.

4) I think I have answered my own question. Below Goagh-Nar when you enter it as Celts on your way back down in the SW, in the center area, there is a crypt where you find a Piercing Crystal in the eye socket.

-S-

I know from old Nethergate that you need to get all the Sylak keys before going into Goagh-Nar. As the Romans you can return before you go past that gate to the lowest level, but the Celts are always blocked once they go down. I found it helps to pile up as much loot as you can as close to the entrance for each side before doing the missions. This way you can transfer it to a safe point where it can be reached later in the game.

3. Never found out and it's from the old game.

4. As the Celts, the note refers to a seal in the walled off area to the north on the top level. If you don't have sever seal then this message helps you get past the seal to sneak in the back way to Queen Rit's rooms.

5. According to piercing sight there is nothing there.

Accidentally double posted.

New questions -

6. Has anyone found a better way to kill Reptrakos than use invulnerability potions and poke at him with sharp objects and spells? I think short of unkillable Sylak, that he has the most health of anyone that you can fight.

7. According to the script, there is an egg near Goagh-Nar. Did anyone find it and what does it do?

8. In Castle Aethdoc's north wing, piercing sight shows a room near the path to the eye and behind the banquet hall, but I can't find a secret door to it.

Reptrakos was really hard, as a singleton at least. The fire damage roasts any allies you summon and the melee attacks are pretty vicious. The other problem is that he regenerates quickly. So without either invulnerability or the special heroic brew AP boost, it's very hard to deal more than he heals while still healing as much as he deals.

A traditional party might have an easier time, with a tank to take damage, one or two PCs on healing, and the tank hacking away with someone else on ranged attack (hello, Doom!). Using the secret entrance and letting him get mad might help set up for this.

Wind Warriors have the nice advantage that they slow opponents.

As a Roman party of 5, I tried summoned creatures, but that was too slow. Having to slow Reptrakos and his summoned stone guardians, do damage, and make sure that none of your buff, especially invulnerabilty go down really prolongs the fight.

I really hate to use the doom scrolls since they help with Annwn and Spire of the Ages.

So, hmm, a perplexing situation here. I have been to Samael in Valley of the Sould to free Orim's soul for Aidin in the Temple of Brigantia. Samael wants the Golden Pelt from Aidin. I return to Aidin, but can find no dialog option about the pelt with him, but he still asks me to get Orim for him. I have already cleared out the crypt area under the temple where the pelt supposedly is found after Aidin tells me where to get it. I don't think I found the pelt there when I was down there long ago. The only thing I can think of is I got this pelt back then, but accidentally sold it. But I really don't think I did. How do I trigger the dialog option with Aidin? Maybe I found a bug.

Anyone have an inkling what is going on with this one?

Originally written by Randomizer:

6. Has anyone found a better way to kill Reptrakos than use invulnerability potions and poke at him with sharp objects and spells?

Nope. I did just that with my Celt party of four tonight. One meat shield up front hacking at Retptrakos used two invulnerability potions. My three druids created four Wind Warriors and entered all hasted and buffed from the back entrance into the NW treasure room and used Doom and Heartshock to whittle him after casting Coils on him twice. I barely needed the second Invulnerability draught. Reptra only summoned two caratydids. It did take me a number of attempts to time it all right. If you let the invulnerability lapse and Reptra attacks on that one down turn, your meat shield is toast. I took pleasure in seeing Gobo incinerated in round one.

7. According to the script, there is an egg near Goagh-Nar. Did anyone find it and what does it do?

Do you mean an easter egg? A literal egg as an item? There is a hidden area with a shade outdoors nearby—the missing fifth lost shade I couldn't find in my first full game. I think Jeff made its location a LOT more obvious subsequently. If you know what I mean.

8. In Castle Aethdoc's north wing, piercing sight shows a room near the path to the eye and behind the banquet hall, but I can't find a secret door to it.

I noticed that too last night, and could not find any way into it as Celts. I can't remember if I got in there as Romans.

-S-

Quote:

Do you mean an easter egg? A literal egg as an item? There is a hidden area with a shade outdoors nearby—the missing fifth lost shade I couldn't find in my first full game. I think Jeff made its location a LOT more obvious subsequently. If you know what I mean.
I mean this from script o00

Step here again to revive the egg

Quote:
9. The character editor lists two artifacts - robe of the groves and wrymsbane, who drops them?
robe of the groves is base 14% armor with 20% less chance of being hit, +80% protection versus petrification, and +5% resistance to magic

wrymsbane is a d5 one-handed sword with a +100 versus reptiles.

I would have remembered seeing these items.

Quote:
Originally written by Haemotode:
1: In E1 Wands of Carrunos have a range of 0 and are therefore useless. In all other Spiderweb games they make enemies stronger. I didn't check in N:R, but I assume the result is more health and possibly buffs for your foes. Don't use the wand.
out of curiosity, wouldn't using the wand on a foe increase the experience reward for killing it?

Originally by Randomizer:

Quote:
Step here again to revive the egg
Didn't Jeff mention on the forums once that Nethergate had an easter egg that no one ever found? Something about stepping in all the outdoor corners, or something similar? Does anyone remember something like that?

Dikiyoba.

I didn't find the original, but here is a quote of myself quoting Jeff.

Quote:
Originally written by Tony Cryptic, Your Godfather of Fun:

And while you're replaying Nethergate, you might want to look into this:

Quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

OK. Here is the deal with the Nethergate Easter Egg (which will be made easier to find if I ever rework the game).

There is some space in a corner of the vale that, when you step on it, makes a little message on the text area. At this point, there is another spot in the opposite end you can step on. If you do this IN THE SAME PLAY SESSION, the quotes on the chapter heading screens change to funny ones.

It's ridiculously obscure. I did better in other games.

- Jeff Vogel

The secondary post can be found here.

I have a question about some of the weird Sylak items. The sprite, Poot, in the Faerie Bazaar says she wants them, but she's only bought a few of them. So I'm stuck w/ the one constantly generating trash whereever I walk, which is no longer amusing. Can I get rid of this item safely? Also, the talking skull has now revealed the locations for the 5 special spells, as well as the secret something under Hagfen near the statue. Do I need it any longer? It's become tiresome.

Nope. I stick several of the less useful Sylak items on the ground at the gate of Vanarium. I have no use for extra food, garments, or trash, or the skull, now that I have the ring from Hagfen. There's really nothing else to do with them besides put them on the ground. I found it odd that Poot wouldn't actually ask to buy any rare items like these either. I guess she's all talk, but with her prices, he should be able to afford it.

Slarty, you described the sequence in the vault under the Temple correctly, best I know. You open the W sarcophagus, and it summons some Nether Beasts back in the main tomb room. After killing them, you're supposed to find the Golden Pelt in the E sarcophagus, I believe. In this game, I did steps one and two, but found nothing special in the sarcophagus. I hadn't been given the quest for the Golden Pelt yet. I wonder if I made it not possible to trigger properly by attempting it prematurely. I recall finding something more interesting in there as Romans too.

-S-

I remember after seeing Sammael and his request for the golden pelt going back and asking Aidin. He now has an option and he sends you down to the sarcophagus. There the crones summoned undead to attack you.

The two netherbeasts are for going into the area beyond there to loot the other 2 crypts beyond magic barriers.

Well, my game is broken, because I went into the crypts before I was given the Golden Pelt mission, and now nothing triggers either the dialog with Aidin or the attack of the undead. I think this is a sequencing bug, because it is perfectly possibly and not unlikely that a PC will open those sarcophagi before going to Vale of the Sould.

-S-

Gahhhhh! In my singleton game now, I can't get Aidin in the Temple of Brigantia to give me a dialog option about getting the Golden Pelt for Samael so I can free Orin for Aidin. I have gotten Samael to request the pelt, but whe I visit Aidin, there is no option to ask about it. I have not even been under the Temple yet either.

Someone please describe exactly what you do to trigger and fulfill this quest.

-S-

ADDIT: Nevermind. Revisiting Samael and going through the dialog with him seems to have (re)activated the dialog option with Aidin. Whew.

Hmm, unless killing the Fen Wolf for Owen is inexplicably what made the difference. Very odd.

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
The polished breastplate and all plate mail are only wearable by Romans. This is to provide some game balance since Celts are now allowed to wear up to chain mail.

Otherwise the Celts with druid mastery could wander around as spellcasting tanks.
Fair enough, thanks for the info!

If you attack Raven he summons two gryphon guardians to help him (more allies for your side). He drops the All Circle scroll, you get marked as a murderer, and the gryphons are hostile.

Also in Castle Aethdoc, until you tell someone that the mission is over for killing one of the lords, you can walk out the main door carrying loot. It takes many trips as even a full party to loot all the Castle, but it worth it.

Killing Raven is not easy for a Singleton, even on Normal Difficulty. Basically, you have to bring in four to six Call Hunt beasts and Wind Warriors and charm the two Gryphon summons, keeping Raven surrounded and away from you. If you are next to Raven, it will savage you into oblivion, or keep you hanging by a Healing thread. If you stand back, it is immune to slowing, and is regarded as neither human nor beast. This means no Heartshock or Soul Lances. It has so many hit points, you'll burn through some elixirs if you opt to use Doom. I just let summons and charmed gryphons do all the slow, tedious whittling away at Raven. Simulacrum is fun to use on one of those glowing blue defenders too.

The "All Circle Scroll" Raven drops is overly-optimistically named. It only raises the first four circles three each, but does not raise Spirit Circle. Is it broken?

-S-

I don't think I tried except as Romans versus Raven. I used some summoned creatures to surround him so he couldn't hit me and whittled him down with ranged attacks. I had to remember to keep recharming his gryphons so I wouldn't get hit by them.

I haven't got that far yet as a singleton, but I know that I'll need that scroll to get call beast spell.

I killed Raven as a Roman singleton using almost pure hack and slash, though it did require using either an Ambrosia, two summoning scrolls, or a ridiculous number of healing potions. But really, compared to Reptrakos, he was a cake walk. With enough armor and magic resistance not much can hurt you.

I'd bet the scroll is intended to work that way, given that Romans don't have access to Spirit Circle, and that Jeff seems to prefer avoiding those kinds of conflicts entirely rather than having to write extra code to handle them.

Ok, finished game as Celts, and now playing as Romans. My ? is: why would one bother to increase the individual weapon skills (melee, spear) when they get the same results from Roman Training? From the description, RT does the same, and gives you missile weapon benefits, and I think ups your resistances, too.

Am I missing something?

It's a matter of skill point cost. After about Roman training 10 it starts to become cheaper to raise melee or spears and javelin or sling together. For starting it's better to do Roman training since it also gives resistance effects according to Slarty.

There are also trainers available for the normal weapons training if you want to spend money that way.

I noted this early on in testing, and mentioned to Jeff that there was no reason to invest in Melee, Spears, Javelins, or Slings when you could simply train in Roman training to do the same thing to all three. It's three for the price of one, basically, plus its resistance bonus. I could have sworn he removed the effect on Javelins and Slings after that, so it only affected Melee and Spears, but I see it is still there or has been reinstated to its original glory.

Yup. Roman Training is massively powerful, and until it becomes prohibitively expensive, I'd train in it and Armor Use alone.

I am starting a Roman Singleton game now. See the Celt thread for what happened.

-S-

Synergy, you can get around the problem in your Celt game. Just look up the SDFs Cartimundus needs to accept your quest as complete (you certainly have the crowns!) and use the character editor to change them.

I'd actually recommend putting points in Strength and Armor Use first. There's very little elemental or magical damage in the first dungeon (until the very bottom of it). You get similar returns from Strength as far as melee damage, and it also allows you to bash doors and carry sufficient weight.

Ok, thanks guys! I'm getting a better handle on how to focus on my Roman skill pts.

One other question: if I decided to get a 5th and/or 6th party member in Vanarium, would they slow down my level increases (i.e., is Exp divided by all available members)? I didn't bother w/ them in the Celt game, but haven't read about people using them for either side, and wondered why.

A fifth characters slows down your experience gain just like any other characters in your party. You can't pick up a sixth character in Vanarium, though. The slot is reserved for area-specific characters.

—Alorael, who considers Vanarium highly useful for Romans and okay for Celts. You don't really lose anything by expanding your party, but a druid for the druidless is excellent and another fighter for a band of fighters is less so. Even worse, your fifth character is permanently stuck in the back.

Hi,

I'm a Windows user so I still can't play Nethergate resurrection. Anyway, my question is, is this game a sequel of the old one, like a "part 2" and therefore I should play the old one first to understand the plot in a better way,

or is it the same game with improved technical/graphical characteristics, like exile--> avernum???

Thanks

Quote:
Originally written by Synergy:
As it turns out, the Rune Shield is broken, as is the Rune Reading given by the Knowledge Charm. I have notified Jeff, who will be releasing a patch to fix a few bugs, and hopefully, this will be fixed too.

-S-
Thanks for the scoop. I appreciate it.

Ok, working for the 3 Crones as the Romans, I didn't mind stealing the goblet from the Temple of Brigantia; didn't mind killing the Widow Queen; but didn't feel great about killing the Rose Lady. And I'm not sure I can stomach killing the Bazaar Master either.

But I'm definitely not ok w/ killing Sleek for his pelt for the witches of Hagfen. I just can't do it. I started to try it out, though, and wondered just what game effect his "mumbled curse" would have had. If anyone knows?

The Selkie curse doesn't seem to have an effect on you. If it makes you feel better, after getting rewarded by the Hags, I go and kill them since they drop better loot.

This game loves to make you feel guilty. You can be moral or you can be a mercenary and kill everything for money and another dip in the blessing pool.