Trying to use the editor and screwed

On several occasions I have tried to use the Character Editor to fix stupid mistakes I have made, such as casting Charm Beast on one of those annoying giant lizards in the lair of Reptrakose (or what ever it's name is) then accidently killing them with Ice Lances before the charming spell had worn off. For some reason this made the dragon very angry and Reset Hostile Towns wouldn't work. I have also accidently killed other semi-important NPCs and can't bring them back to life with the editor. Is this a bug in the editor, or did Jeff mean to do this?

On another note entirely: how do you complete the Selkie Chieftain's quest as Celts or Romans without cheating?

Hm, I'm not certain about the problems with the editor- generally, you should try to watch you behavior as best as possible, but other than that, there's not much I can recommend.

For the Selkie quest: You'll need to head to the east, and find a room with some torches. You have to set all of the torches on fire, and then the doors will open for you.