is there any benefit to buying the original BoE now?

ixfd64

I'm a little confused about something: although the source code for Blades of Exile has been released, the game is still being sold for $15. Selling a game and making it open source isn't mutually exclusive if only the game engine's source code is released; it's often the game content that holds market value (id Software is an example of a company that does this).

However, this thread suggests that all of the game content is available under the GPL. If that's the case, then why not make the original game free? I don't really see the point of buying the original Blades of Exile other than avoiding the hassle of compiling.

Pretty much all of the "official" BoE stuff should be disregarded, as almost none of it now applies. If you're looking for the game, there are binaries (as well as much-improved source code) available here. In addition, the SW scenario archive is also quite outdated, a comprehensive listing of all user-made Blades scenarios can be found on this site.

The new rating system for scenarios is now located on these forums as well. Any references to the old CSR should be disregarded, as these rankings have been transferred.

Hope it helps smile

Originally Posted By: ixfd64
I might be wrong, but I don't think Blades of Exile used a serial code system; IIRC, the whole game was sold on a CD. Perhaps that's what the price is refering to.
Ah yes, this. I only really started playing BoE after Ormus made the working BoE 32-bit binaries maybe a year or two after the license change, because I was cheap like that tongue

Originally Posted By: ixfd64
I might be wrong, but I don't think Blades of Exile used a serial code system; IIRC, the whole game was sold on a CD. Perhaps that's what the price is refering to.
Yes, BoE didn't use registration codes, and it came on a CD. The CD I bought included:
  • registered copies of BoE and the BoE character editor
  • the BoE scenario editor (which didn't need to be registered)
  • Valley of Dying Things, A Small Rebellion, and The Za-Khazi Run
  • demo versions of the Exile trilogy, BoE, and Nethergate
  • both Windows and Mac versions of all the files