Elections in 2012

BainIhrno

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we will finally get a decent third party candidate?

*rolls on the floor laughing hysterically*

Another election is fast approaching where neither candidate is worth electing and whomever does get elected will be blocked by Congress from doing anything with their support.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer

If we did get a third party candidate, who would it be? The only person I can imagine giving it a shot is Ron Paul, and that's quite unlikely.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Yeah, time to abuse the "None of These Candidates" option again.

Oh, to be fortunate enough to have that as an option in my state. Perhaps it will be a write-in vote; my state is so overwhelmingly Republican that it wouldn't matter, anyway.

Obama's not too bad, but he's too centrist/right for my tastes. I don't know where he falls on the political compass, but I'd guess it's not even in the same quadrant as me.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
Obama's not too bad, but he's too centrist/right for my tastes. I don't know where he falls on the political compass, but I'd guess it's not even in the same quadrant as me.

Almost all US politicians fall in the upper right quadrant, including the president.

(In fact, the Political Compass site ranks him as only slightly more left-wing than Romney. President Obama is significantly more right-wing than Candidate Obama. )

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
(In fact, the Political Compass site ranks him as only slightly more left-wing than Romney. President Obama is significantly more right-wing than Candidate Obama. )

You know, I used to think that site was somewhat more credible than, say, the Nolan chart. Then I read this passage:

Quote:
It's therefore understandable that many of them speak warmly about the most right wing of all the Republican contenders, Ron Paul. Paul is an extraordinary figure in this most extraordinary election. At 76, the sprightly, softly-spoken Congressman commands enormous youth enthusiasm and support across the spectrum - from Ralph Nader to the John Birch Society. Nader, who has spent decades campaigning for greater regulation of corporations, has somehow put his lot in with the most deregulatory of all the candidates. Many liberals appreciate Paul for his promise to bring the troops home, slash the defence budget and, among other things, his principled opposition to the NDAA. The harsh social Darwinism of Paul's core beliefs, however, appear to be of relatively little importance to such progressives. Similarly. his opposition to abortion and his support for creationism, which have endeared him to the Christian Coalition. Paul, the only conviction politician among them, no doubt enjoys a wider support base than the primary results suggest As the front-running three continue to bruise each other shadow boxing, he might yet emerge as the last man standing at the Convention. As president, Paul could be expected to reach widely beyond the Republicans in his appointments, further blurring party distinctions. While the liberal aspects of Paul’s social policies are anathema to neo-cons, he remains the Republicans' best hope of achieving the presidency

I think I just threw up a little.

Quote:
At 76, the sprightly, softly-spoken Congressman commands enormous youth enthusiasm and support across the spectrum...Many liberals appreciate Paul for his promise to bring the troops home, slash the defence budget and, among other things, his principled opposition to the NDAA. The harsh social Darwinism of Paul's core beliefs, however, appear to be of relatively little importance to such progressives.

I know these people. They are the people on my Facebook feed about whom I most consistently think, "Are you as dumb as you appear, or just a really skillful and entertaining troll?"

Admittedly, I only read the first paragraph from that page and quickly became bored. It should have been apparent that the test itself is fairly loaded, though. (Why the hell is astrology in there? I'm pretty sure there are fundamentalist right-wing Christians who don't believe in astrology) It still spits out a fairly agreeable result though, which is the only reason I ever refer to it.

I think it would be interesting for Ron Paul to get elected president, because it would, as the article mentioned, blur party lines. IMO, both parties need to have some restructuring done and a catalyst such as Paul becoming president could do that. I only worry that power hungry entities could use the imbalance to accumulate more power for themselves, or find loopholes to abuse the system even more.

Paul getting elected would blur party lines, sure, but that's not a necessity for a party realignment. All you need is a critical election in which the bases of the party change in some way. Franklin Delano Roosevelt is the perfect example, how he created the New Deal Coalition that, for the first time, brought Blacks into the folds of the Democratic Party.

A party realignment wouldn't necessarily be good, but it wouldn't necessarily be bad, either.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Whatever ever happened with Lyndon Lerouche?

Lyndon LaRouche is still photoshopping Hitler-staches onto pictures of the current President and having them handed out at various political rallies by college students, at least as far as I'm aware.

Dude's even crazier than Paul. Good thing he never got the same level of recognition.

Good God, I hope so. It seems like the Democrat-vs.-Republican choice gets worse with each election.

Another election is fast approaching where neither candidate is worth electing
Amen to that. It seems like it's not so much a poll to see which candidate is most worthy, but a poll to see which one is least unworthy.

• 2 weeks later...