The Eternal Flame - an AIMhack campaign

BJ Back From the Beyond

One somewhat less belated level coming up!

Click to reveal..
Player: Nalyd

Name: Viatrix Verius Valerius

Race: Human Male

Alignment: Zealous

Deity: Loshkut

Strength: 8 (+1)

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 2

HP: ?/26 (+2)

STM: ?/10

Speed: 4 (encumbered by armor)

Banked: 1 (+1)

Martial (Flail): 7 (+1)

First Aid: 3

Composure: 3

Nature: 2

History: 2

Perception: 3+1 racial (+3)

Stealth: 2+1 racial

Level!

Click to reveal.. (Chantico)
Player: Sarachim

Name: Chantico

Race: Lacewing Female

Alignment: Explosive

Level: 4

Strength: 3

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 8

HP: ?/22

STM: ?/10

Speed: 5

Magic (Evocation): 6

Magic (Conjuration): 5

First Aid: 3

Nature: 2

Artifice: 2

History: 2+1 racial

Religion: 2

Perception: 1

Thievery: 0+1 racial

1 point banked

Woah! Time got away from me.

Hopping Jaguar:

Click to reveal..

Name: Hopping Jaguar

Race: Goblin

Alignment: Quixotic

Level 4

Strength 4

Dexterity 6

Intelligence 3

HP 8/18

Stamina 10/10

Stealth 4

Martial (Sling) 5

Composure 2 (+1 racial bonus, so 3 total)

Thievery 3

Nature 1 (+1 racial bonus, so 2 total)

Perception 2

First Aid 3

Martial (Unarmed) 4

2 points in the bank

Techniques:

Take Aim (1STM): Spend a full round observing a target and setting up a shot at its vitals. The character may not move, attack or use items during the round she spends taking aim. If the character fires at the target in the following round, the attack has a bonus to hit and inflicts triple damage.

Shoot from the Shadows (0 STM): Time attacks so that opponents cannot pinpoint their origins. Attack as normal, but make an additional Stealth check. If passed, character retains concealment.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone please welcome Leonere (pronounced Lee-on-air), Triumph's new character:

Click to reveal.. (Stats)
Name: Leonere Nelya Caralis

Race: Elf Male

Alignment: Good/cocky

Physical description: A well-dressed male elf in his late 20s, often with a book in one hand.

Level: 4

Strength: 3

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 8

HP: 16/16

STM: 10/10

Speed: 5

Magic (Evocation): 6

Magic (Divination): 4

Religion: 4

Artifice: 3

History: 3

Composure: 1+1 Racial Bonus

Streetwise: 1+1 Racial Bonus

Perception: 1

Click to reveal.. (Spells)
Divination

Read Magic: Reads a magic spell or aura to determine its purpose.

Location: Gives information on the location of an object or person. The more familiar the caster is with the target, the more accurate the intel.

The Best Defense: Move Action. The caster looks into the future of the battle and watches for the strikes and blows of their enemy. They gain a large bonus to defense until the end of their next turn.

Lehun's Messenger: 1 stamina. Allows the caster to send a brief verbal message to someone they are personally acquainted with, even across great distances. The recipient may make a brief reply.

Evocation

Aeroblast: Project an intense jet of air at a target (standard attack spell, with added chance of pushing / hurling target backwards).

Air Slash: A wave of air strikes a group of targets from the side or behind, throwing them off balance (an attack that does less-than-usual damage to anyone it hits but inflicts a penalty on their next action).

Whirlwind: 1 stamina. Conjure a vortex of winds around the caster; everyone within two spaces of the caster is tossed aside (pushed away) and stunned unless they make a save (this spell does not inflict damage).

Updraft: Move action. Caster launches self upward with a strong blast of air, allowing him or her to reach something high or double speed in battle and allowing him or her to make a move over enemies without provoking AoOs.

Click to reveal.. (Inventory)
Equipment:

Hauberk

Leather gloves

Leather greaves

High-quality traveling clothes

Weather-proofed leather boots

Weather-proofed cloak with hood (cerulean in color)

Inventory:

7 days worth of rations

Waterskin

Lantern / flint and steel

Small tent / bedding

3 Healing potions

3 Stamina potions

20 gold pieces

Binoculars

Several books

Click to reveal.. (Backstory)
Something about Mote seems to encourage wandering. The world itself lacks a certain reliability. One possible source of stability in the troubled realm might be a god. Leonere Nelya Caralis seeks such inner peace, and therefore seeks to learn about the gods. He inherited a strong sense of piety from his mother, made it his own, and now travels Mote pursuing more knowledge of its deities. As his family did, so he now most reveres Liea, Sliros, and Mariona. Leonere plans to return home to Exis and settle down eventually, but for now he traverses Mote, visiting libraries and reputed holy sites to glean whatever insight he can. Thanks to his magical training, he always manages find odd jobs to earn his keep and pay his way to the next island. When a merchantman heading for Revossa needed a windmage, Leonere jumped at the opportunity it would provide to visit Actan, site of the one of largest temples of Liea in the world.

Now, that backstory is not quite complete. There are a lot of things that happen between when Leonere arrives on the island and when he meets the party (which will happen next session), but those things are being kept under wraps for now.

And session 9 is over. Leonere has successfully joined the party, at least in body. They don't exactly trust him yet. Viatrix is still away doing his own thing, and the rest of the party has followed him into the heart of enemy territory, Sactorria.

Session 10 is scheduled for May 29th, at 8pm EDT.

• 2 weeks later...

The log of session 6 should be in Nioca's hands now, so here are some quotes for ya all.

Click to reveal..
Hopping Jaguar: "Chantico, don't try to be a pirate. I know pirates. I've fought pirates. Pirates are my enemies. And you, sir, are no pirate."

Chantico: "I'm neither a pirate nor a sir, Mister Jaguar, but I am the captain of this vessel and the one thing I will not tolerate is mutiny!"

Hopping Jaguar: "That's not fair. A head shot should at least slow it down..."

Chantico: "She was a fine, fine vessel. Alas, for the good ship Chantico Is Awesome."

Bandek: "Maybe it'll give me a wish or somethin' if I spare its life. Fish do that."

Sarelim: "Knew I should've stayed a dog..."

First up, it's Sarelim's Side Session with Vyncin. (I renamed it, hope that's alright with you, Earles)

Second up, it's Session 6.

Also, if you want to see something freaky, here's a quote from the side-session. Aside from getting used and tossed aside, is it any wonder why Sarelim's so ticked at Vyncin and thinks he's a [excised for family-friendliness]?

Click to reveal.. (Foreshadowing, much?)
Vyncin: "Well, if they do pursue, I can't guarantee that they'll stay alive. I'm not likely to kill them, especially that ninja, I hate to see an honorable person perish, but I can't speak for the man I'm working with. He might offer you a job, but I wouldn't cross him either if he does."

Ha! That's a striking quote in light how Vyncin subsequently treated the party. I'm really curious to see how this plays out. It doesn't seem like the PCs usually have much personal animosity toward the "villian" (to the extent that any AIMHack campaigns even have a readily identifiable major antagonist), so this is an interesting dynamic.

Is Thursday still the plan for the next session?

Aaand the log of session 7 is away. The quotes were a little sparse this time, but there were some good ones.

Click to reveal.. (Yep, more quotes)
Hopping Jaguar: "Also, I just had a great idea. Our little group could go by the nicknames Trixy, Bandy, Chanty, Limy, and Hoppy, we could be the stars of songs taught to children all over Mote!"

Hopping Jaguar: "Ahhhhsnarggleblarghhhh... Heeeeeeeellllppp."

Chantico: "Nothing personal, Jaguar, but I already slapped the others, and if I left you out they'd think I was playing favorites."

Bandek: "How you holdin' up? Feelin' any better yet?"

Hopping Jaguar: "La la la...ninja in the dark / has no spark / fears the landshark / here in the dark."

Bandek: "Guess that's a no."

Sarelim: "Ruff?"

Viatrix: "Ruff."

Viatrix: "As much as it pains me to say it, I don't think that brute force is going to be the solution here."

Hopping Jaguar: "No more clever ideas, O Chantico sage of ages?"

Chantico: "That's sage of rages if you sass me again."

Sarelim : "Whub!"

The log of session 8 should be up soon, so here are the quotes:

Click to reveal.. (We'll miss you, HJ!)
Vyncin: "Blasted thing. Why won't it die?"

Chantico: "Good question."

Bandek: "Well, uh, it's made of water. There's kind of a lot of water around. As long as it's in the ocean, d'you think it even can die?"

Chantico: "You're made of meat, but sandwiches don't make you invincible,"

Hopping Jaguar: "So we surrender now, risking execution or long-term imprisonment, just hoping that your master, on a whim, decides to spare us? Is there another alternative?"

Vyncin: "The town guard and I beat you to a pulp, then we arrest you."

Hopping Jaguar: “With great ninja comes great responsibility! FISTS OF GREAT JUSTICE!"

Random Guard: "If you ever come back, we'll kill you for sure!"

Chantico: "Okay! Have a nice day!"

DM: (One of these days I will succeed in capturing you all! :-D )

Chantico: "I went to a circus once. Turns out, elephants aren't so tough."

Bandek: "Ah, that's the stuff. Mebbe when I wake up this'll all be a bad dream."

Viatrix: "Escape is an option, perhaps. Join the others. Go home. Mission failed. But not one I'm ready to take yet."

Sarelim: "Alright, if I was a smuggler... I'd head out of the city first chance I got. I think. Come to think of it, I'm not really a smuggler."

Hopping Jaguar: "Death to pirates. Once more...unto the breach..." (last words)

It's looting time! Here's the stuff you guys found on the two assassins:

Click to reveal.. (Assassins' Gear)
1 Rapier

2 Daggers

2 Leather Armors

1 Buckler

2 Black Cloaks

2 Identical Rings (magical, unidentified)

2 Healing Potions

1 Grappling Hook w/ Rope

1 Poison Dart

7 Shuriken

1 Bottle of blue liquid (magical, unidentified)

1 Smoke Bomb

Let me know which items you guys want to take so I can note them in your respective inventories.

Also, I've got a couple of perks that need handing out. First up is Sarelim:

Keen Senses: Having spent an inordinate amount of time as a furry, four-legged animal, Sarelim has grown accustomed to seeing the world in ways others wouldn't even consider. While morphed, Sarelim may re-roll a perception check once per day (the second number must always be taken) and may also take ten on any perception check, except when re-rolling.

And the second one goes to Bandek:

Opportunist: Some may call it 'unfair' or 'dishonorable', but Bandek knows that taking advantage of an enemy's misfortune during combat produces spectacular results. Whenever an enemy rolls a critical failure or is the target of a critical success, Bandek gets a +2 bonus to any action targeting that enemy on his next turn. This bonus stacks with multiple criticals.

And now for the scheduling stuff. I'd like to do the next session in the coming week. However, I'm going to be busy on Monday, so that just leaves Tuesday the 19th and Thursday the 21st. How do those look to everyone?

...there were only two healing potions? frown *still regrets giving a potion to that ungrateful jerk Viatrix* tongue

Umm...unless anyone else wants them, I guess I'll take the other magic ring, and the rope+grappling hook, and the buckler.

Tuesday and Thursday are both open for me right now, but I've got some other plans I'm trying nail down...so the sooner I could know for sure which day the next session will be, the better.

woooooooo~

level up

Click to reveal..
Name: Bandek

Race: Goblin Male

Alignment: Brutish

Level: 5

Strength: 9

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 2

HP: 11/28

STM: 7/10

Speed: 5/5

Martial (Brawling): 8

Streetwise: 5

Stealth: 4

Perception: 3

Composure: 2+1 racial

Nature: 1+1 racial

Spare Skill Points: 1

Aaaand session 9 log is away. Here's some quotes. smile

Click to reveal.. (Session 9 quotes)
Sarelim: "Where's Jaguar?"

Chantico: "Dead."

Sarelim: "...that wasn't really funny the first time. Seriously, where is he?"

Chantico: "Hmm. A rival scholar. I bet I can take him."

Bandek: "I thought scholars were s'posed t' talk it out when they didn' agree."

Chantico: "In theory, sure, but academia's pretty vicious."

Chantico: "There's no such thing as a fair fight against Dr. Chandek. I got my doctorate in badass."

Leonere: "Chantico, all your plans involve setting something on fire. Sometimes that is quite appropriate, but many times it is...simplistic."

Chantico: "Bullroar. Name a scenario, and I'll give you an easy way to resolve it with fire."

Bandek: "Someone's tryin' to kill us with a horrible fire sword?"

Leonere: "A house is on fire, and someone is trapped inside. What do you do?"

Chantico: "Set him on fire. Next?"

Sarelim: "..."

Chantico: "Burn through the door, run in, grab them, get out. Next?"

Leonere: "You are at sea, on a sinking ship, with no land in sight. What do you do?"

Chantico: "Send up a smoke signal and hope for rescue. Next?"

Sarelim: "...I think I'm going to bed, and I'll be praying to Sliros I won't wake up to the inn being a charred ruin."

Lord Riglou: "Tell me, Lieutenant. What is it like to know both of your parents were traitors?"

Viatrix: "Inspiring, milord. Simply inspiring. Makes you wonder how much blood counts for."