The Eternal Flame - an AIMhack campaign

BJ Back From the Beyond

Well, that was a session. Chantico learned what firewater is, Bandek attempted to find out where Vyncin was by bribing the guys guarding him, Hopping Jaguar watched a locked door, Viatrix was one with the ether the whole time (Nalyd didn't show), and Sarelim left on a boat with the bad guy at the end. It was definitely interesting. wink

The party levels up as well. They get 12 skill points to spend this time around.

I'll hold off on officially scheduling the next session until after Sarelim's side-session, but I'm aiming for March 12th at 8pm EST.

also level up~

Click to reveal..
Name: Bandek

Race: Goblin Male

Alignment: Brutish

Level: 3

Strength: 7

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 2

HP: 14/24

STM: 7/10

Speed: 5/5

Martial (Brawling): 6

Streetwise: 4

Stealth: 3

Perception: 2

Composure: 1+1 racial

Nature: 1+1 racial

Hopping Jaguar builds up a variety of skills (I really wish we had received 2 level-ups...).

Click to reveal..
Strength 4

Dexterity 5

Intelligence 3

HP 8/18

Stamina 10/10

Martial (Unarmed) 4

Stealth 4

Martial (Sling) 3

First Aid 3

Composure 2 (+1 racial bonus)

Thievery 2

Perception 2

Nature 1 (+1 racial bonus)

Note on choices: healing seems obvious in this party, dexterity plus ranged attack are to try to avoid taking damage in the healing-deficient party, and composure, well, after that epic 1 last night I felt composure made a lot of sense for the character. I didn't go with his melee skill plus strength because he's been totally useless in melee so far, and I figure he might be too far behind the real tanks (e.g. Bandek, Viatrix) to catch up.

Sarelim figures out the answer to life, the universe, and everything!

Or, rather, his skills at least add up to 42 skill points.

Click to reveal.. (Sarelim Silverwind)
Sarelim Silverwind

Evasive Kind Male Human Street Urchin

Physical Description: Fairly unremarkable human male; dark hair, slightly tanned skin tone, blue eyes. Roughly 5'11'', 165 lbs. Age somewhere between 18-24. Wears traveling cloths and a pack, along with a reversible teal/navy traveling cloak.

10/16 HP [+2] / 06/10 STM

_3 STR / _4 DEX / _5 INT

13 FRT / 14 DEF / 15 WIL

0 ARM / 5 SPD / 00/42 XP

Magic (Transmutation) - 5 (15) [+1]

Martial (Unarmed) - 3 (6)

Martial (Crossbow) - 1 (1)

Stealth - 5 (10+RB) [+1]

Composure - 3 (6) [+1]

Perception - 2 (1+RB)

Thievery - 2 (3)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can't say for certain what'll happen, but after Sarelim's side-session, Earles said:

Originally Posted By: B.J.Earles (March 8th)
Yeah, I'm gonna need a lot of time to prepare for the next session. [...] It's probably gonna be another two or three weeks.

Which might be for the best. We still have two people who haven't leveled up yet.

Click to reveal..
Player: Sarachim
Name: Chantico
Race: Lacewing Female
Alignment: Explosive

Level: 3
Strength: 3
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence: 7

HP: ?/19
STM: ?/10
Speed: 5

Magic (Evocation): 5
Magic (Conjuration): 4
First Aid: 3
Nature: 2
Artifice: 2
History: 1+1 racial
Religion: 1
Perception: 1
Thievery: 0+1 racial
2 points banked

New spells to come before the next session.

The log for session 5 is away, so it should be up soon. In the meantime, more quotes:

Click to reveal.. (Quotes)
Chantico: "I only like fish when it's fried."

Bandek: "That's kinda how you feel about everythin' else too, ain't it?"

Chantico: "Hey, barkeep, I hear you mammals have a thing called 'firewater.' I'm intrigued."

Bandek: "What kinda dangers we talkin' about? Bandits? Ghosts? Land sharks? I'm pretty good with the first two. Not so hot on the third one."

Hopping Jaguar: "As for the rumors of my death, well, I was as surprised as you to hear that I'd died."

Sarelim: "...um, I'd really appreciate not spending any time in a jail. At all."

Hey guys. I'm sorry to say I've been battling a bit of writer's block since the last session, so I'm still not ready for the next session yet. I'd like to continue sometime in the next two weeks as it's getting to the point where I feel we'll have to press on whether I'm ready or not. Any longer and I'm afraid interest in this will wane too much. So, let's consider April 2nd, April 3rd, and April 5th for possible dates. Let me know how those work for you.

-BJ

P.S. Thanks for all your patience everyone.

P.P.S. Still need a level up for Viatrix and a spell list for Chantico.

Whew! The party survived and made it to Ilsandoria, and they also found out why the island is considered cursed. Now the question is, will they get off in one piece?

Next session is currently scheduled for April 12th at 8pm EST, if everyone can make it.

Also, if Nalyd is a no-show without ample advance warning again, I'm tying a lead weight to Viatrix and dropping him in the ocean. Don't think that I wont.

Okay, so before this has the opportunity to get blown way out of proportion, I think there are some things I need to clear up. Lilith's analysis is correct. Unless Nalyd had learned about his trip at the last minute, he had over a week to let me know that the date wasn't optimal. One day isn't enough time for me to let everyone else know that we need to reschedule, which was one reason we went though with the session anyway. Couple this with the fact that Nalyd has yet to post his level-up, despite having over three weeks and two reminders to do so. I'm starting to wonder if he's still interested in playing in this campaign. If he isn't, he needs to let me know so I can let someone who does want to play join up. If he does, it would be great to see some evidence of it.

I'm really trying to be fair here, not just to Nalyd but to everyone who is playing or wants to play. I'd really rather not have to kick someone out of the campaign, but I will if I feel it's absolutely necessary.

Okay, thanks for the warning, Nalyd.

Everyone, there's a possibility that we might have to reschedule anyway. We've been having a slight problem with out internet connection, the kind of problem that reduces the number of computers that can access the internet at one time to one. For our house, that can be an issue. AIMhack may have to take a back seat to homework or balancing the checkbook. I'll try to get more information about where we stand tomorrow.

One very belated level coming up!

Click to reveal..
Player: Nalyd

Name: Viatrix Verius Valerius

Race: Human Male

Alignment: Zealous

Deity: Loshkut

Strength: 7 (+1)

HP: ?/24 (+2)

STM: ?/10

Speed: 4 (encumbered by armor)

Martial (Flail): 6 (+1)

First Aid: 3

Composure: 3

Nature: 2 (+1)

History: 2 (+1)

Perception: 0+1 racial

Stealth: 2+1 racial (+1)

level up~

Click to reveal..
Name: Bandek

Race: Goblin Male

Alignment: Brutish

Level: 4

Strength: 8

HP: 19/26

STM: 8/10

Speed: 5/5

Martial (Brawling): 7

Streetwise: 5

Stealth: 3

Composure: 2+1 racial

Perception: 2

Nature: 1+1 racial

Yay, new level!

+1 Dexterity

+1 Transmutation , +1 Martial (Self)

+1 Perception, +1 Artifice, +1 Religion

Also, since the party now knows what Sarelim is, the character sheet is now more complete and accurate.

Click to reveal.. (Sarelim Silverwind)
Sarelim Silverwind

Evasive Kind Male Human Shapeshifter

Physical Description: Fairly unremarkable human male; dark hair, slightly tanned skin tone, blue eyes. Roughly 5'11'', 165 lbs. Age somewhere between 18-24. Wears traveling cloths and a pack, along with a reversible teal/navy traveling cloak.

13/16 HP / 05/10 STM

_3 STR / _5 DEX / _5 INT

13 FRT / 15 DEF / 15 WIL

0 ARM / 5 SPD / 00/56 XP

CURRENT STATUSES

Canis Morph (+SPD, +Hearing/Scent Perception, -DMG, -DR)

Migraine (A splitting headache that is wrecking Sarelim's focus)

Magic (Transmutation) - 6 (21) [+1]

Martial (Self) - 4 (10) [+1]

Martial (Crossbow) - 1 (1)

Stealth - 5 (10+RB)

Composure - 3 (6)

Perception - 3 (3+RB) [+1]

Thievery - 2 (3)

Artifice - 1 (1) [+1]

Religion - 1 (1) [+1]

TRAITS

Unnatural-Born Shapeshifter - Thanks to magical experimentation, Sarelim is inherently talented when it comes to polymorphing, which has been reinforced through magical training. He can hold morphs indefinitely and, barring interference, can revert back to his original form at will. Additionally, he remains capable of using his lesser transmutational spells even when polymorphed. However, this specialization comes at a cost; the only spells he can take are ones that pertain to altering one's form in some way, and he cannot cast those spells on anyone other than himself. In addition, magic detection spells or abilities will notice a strong aura of transmutative magic around him.

Click to reveal.. (Known Shapeshifting Abilities)
CANIS MORPH (3STM) - Polymorphs into the form of a domesticated black dog. While in this form, the caster gains powerful senses of hearing and smell, and a bonus to speed. However, combat damage is penalized in this form, his small size makes him more prone to damage, and he takes on the physical limitations of a dog.

AT-HAND IMPLEMENT - Transform's one of the caster's limbs into a non-magical weapon or tool. The implement cannot be larger than the limb in question. Complex tools and weapons (especially ones with moving parts) require the caster to reasonably familiar with what they're trying to create and may require stamina. With ranged weapon implements, one can use the appropriate ammo type or fire bone shards as ammunition at a cost of 1HP per shot.

(Others are unknown to the party)

I've got some spells to work on. Transmutation 6 is a very exciting time for Sarelim, with a quite a few upgraded abilities and some brand new ones. He might finally start pulling his weight in combat, now.

As a heads-up: I have a slight problem, in much the way that getting shot would be mildly irritating. I'm not entirely sure what the flip is going on, but after applying the most recent update of my virus scanner, my computer abruptly decided it hates the internet. Either a virus got through, the anti-virus scanner screwed with something it shouldn't have, or something else acted up with unfortunate timing. In any case, being online is leading to the browser locking up, followed by the system being slowly crippled one application at a time.

Right now, I think I've got it stable. Note the word "Think" in nice italics. I'm getting a new virus scanner and, hopefully, am going to run a full sweep. With any luck, my computer will be back in running trim before the session comes around. If not... well, I'll see if I can give you a heads-up if the problem winds up being harder to treat.