The Eternal Flame - an AIMhack campaign

BJ Back From the Beyond

And here's the session 9 log.

Well, the decision was unanimous amongst the party. Sarelim has not been pulling his weight in combat, and something has to give. There's really only one thing to do in this situation. frown

It's time for Sarelim...

Click to reveal..
...to get respec'd! smile

This kicks his best attack bonus up to +15; it's still a couple points behind the best in the party, but Sarelim can pull his weight now in a fight.

==========

Sarelim Silverwind

Evasive Kind Male Human Shapeshifter

Physical Description: Fairly unremarkable human male; dark hair, slightly tanned skin tone, blue eyes. Roughly 5'11'', 165 lbs. Age somewhere between 18-24. Wears a white tunic, brown pants, and a metallic cloak, along with a pack.

14/14 HP / 04/10 STM

_2 STR / _8 DEX / _4 INT

12 FRT / 18 DEF / 14 WIL

2 ARM / 5 SPD / 00/72 XP

Martial (Self) - 7 (28)

Magic (Transmutation) – 7 (28)

Stealth - 4 (6+RB)

Perception - 3 (3+RB)

Composure - 2 (3)

Thievery - 2 (3)

Artifice - 1 (1)

TRAITS

Unnatural-Born Shapeshifter - Thanks to magical experimentation, Sarelim is inherently talented when it comes to polymorphing, which has been reinforced through magical training. He can hold morphs indefinitely and, barring interference, can revert back to his original form at will. Additionally, he remains capable of using his lesser transmutational spells even when polymorphed. However, this specialization comes at a cost; the only spells he can take are ones that pertain to altering one's form in some way, and he cannot cast those spells on anyone other than himself. In addition, magic detection spells or abilities will notice a strong aura of transmutative magic around him.

Keen Senses - Having spent an inordinate amount of time as a furry, four-legged animal, Sarelim has grown accustomed to seeing the world in ways others wouldn't even consider. While morphed, Sarelim may re-roll a perception check once per day (the second number must always be taken) and may also take ten on any perception check, except when re-rolling.

The log of session 10 is off, so it's time for some more quotes.

Click to reveal.. (It's all just a part of their charm, Oliera.)
Sarelim: "Safe? I doubt there's any place in this entire city that's safe for us. We're probably getting scried once every ten minutes, just to keep tabs on what we're doing."

Chantico: "Look, you're new, so I'll lay it out for you. Sarelim wanders off being secretive and weird. It's kinda his thing. Just let it go. Like how my thing is being beautiful and brilliant, and Bandek's thing is getting drunk and hitting people with a chain, and your thing is being the new guy so the rest of us can explain things to you."

Leonere: "Truly Liea has blessed me to provide such a clearly delineated role for me."

Viatrix: "I escaped already, you idiots!"

Chantico: "Gentlemen, wait! I am the noted anthropologist Dr. Chandek, and I am conducting research on your culture's attitudes toward fire. You can help me with some exciting research."

Sarelim: "I never thought I'd miss the days of being a homeless bum."

Oliera: "...You guys really are the worst spies, aren't you?"

Wow, time totally got away from me. No luck catching it yet, either.

Here's Leonere's latest stats:

Click to reveal..

Level ??

STR 3

DEX 2

INT 9

HP 16/16

STA 7/10

Magic (Evocation) 7

Magic (Divination) 4

Religion 5

Artifice 4

History 3

Composure 1 (then +1 for racial bonus for total 2)

Streetwise 1 (then +1 for racial bonus for total 2)

Perception 1

Also, spells:

Click to reveal..
Divination Spells

Read Magic: Reads a magic spell or aura to determine its purpose.

Location: Gives information on the location of an object or person. The more familiar the caster is with the target, the more accurate the intel.

Lehun's Messenger (1STM): Allows the caster to send a brief verbal message to someone they are personally acquainted with, even across great distances. The recipient may make a brief reply.

Evocation Spells

Aeroblast: Project an intense jet of air at a target (standard attack spell, with added chance of pushing / hurling target backward).

Air Slash: A wave of air strikes a group of targets from the side or behind, throwing them off balance (an attack that does less-than-usual damage to anyone it hits but inflicts a penalty on their next action).

Updraft (MAct): Caster launches self upward with a strong blast of air, allowing him or her to reach something high OR doubling speed in battle and allowing him or her make a move over enemies without provoking AoOs. A poor roll may require a save for a smooth landing.

Gravel Storm: Strong winds whip small objects from the surrounding environment through the air, striking a target with enormous force.

Eyes of the Storm: A small blast of air strikes an opponent’s face, reflexively causing him or her to blink and diminishing his or her accuracy in the next turn.

Yarren's Disruptor: Fires a blast of disruptive energy at the target, disrupting any magic present. Magical and incorporeal creatures will take damage from the spell, magical effects around the target will be weakened or dispelled, and a spellcaster or magical ability user hit will have their magical abilities reduced.

Addendum: Yes, Yarren's Disruptor is lifted from the spell compendium and not entirely flavorful, but I've meaning to add it since I made the character, as soon as I could raise Evocation high enough. Imagine that as soon as Leonere learned he might be facing a very powerful wizard as his enemy on this quest, he started using spare moments to flip through his spell books for something useful, and has now finally succeeded in memorizing this. Let's hope it works.

^Same.

Click to reveal.. (Character Sheet)
Player: Nalyd

Name: Viatrix Verius Valerius

Race: Human Male

Alignment: Zealous

Deity: Loshkut

Strength: 9 (+1)

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 2

HP: ?/28 (+2)

STM: ?/10

Speed: 4 (encumbered by armor)

Banked: 0 (-1)

Martial (Flail): 8 (+1)

First Aid: 3

Composure: 5 (+2)

Nature: 2

History: 2

Perception: 3+1 racial

Stealth: 2+1 racial

Belated level for Chantico:

Click to reveal..
Player: Sarachim

Name: Chantico

Race: Lacewing Female

Alignment: Explosive

Level: 4

Strength: 4

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 8

HP: ?/26

STM: ?/10

Speed: 5

Magic (Evocation): 8

Magic (Conjuration): 5

First Aid: 3

Nature: 2

Artifice: 2

History: 2+1 racial

Religion: 2

Perception: 1

Thievery: 0+1 racial

2 point banked

So, just to make it official, the next session is scheduled for August 16th, at 8pm EDT. It's looking like we're coming up to the end of the campaign here. Of course, it all depends on exactly what happens next, but it's possible we could wrap this up in the next one to two sessions.

Now, since we are so close to the end, it's high time I handed out some more perks:

Click to reveal.. (Perks!)
Leonere

Perseverance: Leonere's devotion to his faith has led him down a difficult path. Now, in the midst this hardship, it is his faith that sustains him. The first time in any combat encounter that Leonere's HP is reduced to 0, it is reduced to 1 instead and stamina loss due to excess damage is nullified.

Chantico

Firebug: Fire's nature makes it difficult to control. However, practice makes perfect, and Chantico has had plenty of practice. Chantico gets a +1 bonus when casting any fire-based spell, and once per day may give a single fire-based spell an additional +3 bonus.

Viatrix

All for the Cause: As a soldier in the army, Viatrix is charged with the cause of protecting Actan and its citizens. The greatest threat to that cause always has been and always will be Sactorria. Viatrix gets a +2 bonus to attacks against enemies affiliated with Sactorria.

And now for something completely different...

The log of session 11 is off, and I come bearing quotes.

Click to reveal.. (Just about everything does, Sarelim.)
Leonere: "Chasing an assassin back to her home base where her friends probably live, through an unfamiliar city where the guards are probably already searching for us as murderers or accessories to murder - this is truly a plan that only a great mind could devise."

Viatrix: "He is clearly working with Vyncin. Gorbus warned me that there was a traitor among us."

Leonere: "Yeah, well, you moonlighted for Riglou. Pot calling the kettle, eh?"

Bandek: "I think I'm just gonna have to move to a new island again after we're done with this job."

Chantico: "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, okay? We're, um, I forget the next part. Point is, it's bad to meddle."

Silis: "Vyncin's tale, and mine for that matter, is rather a long one. I hope you don't mind."

Sarelim: "I really don't. It beats getting shot at, stabbed, and running."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And that's that. The 15th and final session of the Eternal Flame has come to a close and... well, it was certainly interesting. I'll just leave it at that. I'll try to get the rest of the logs ready, but it's going to be slow going for a while.

It was fun everyone. I enjoyed it, and I'm sure you all did too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...