The Eternal Flame - an AIMhack campaign

BJ Back From the Beyond

Quote:
The island of Theris has long been a stage for the drama of war. Two sides of the island, one lead by the city of Actan and the other by the city of Sactorria, have been involved in a bitter conflict for generations. There have been periods of peace, but those were only long enough for the two sides to gather their strength and begin the conflict anew.
It was in the recent war that a true victory was won by Actan. The port city of Revossa had long been an ally of Sactorria, but in a master stroke the forces of Actan were able to take the city and surrounding county-side, denying Sactorria not only of a powerful supporter but also one of its key defensive positions. Sactorria, seeing the enemy darken its doorstep, pursued a cease-fire.
Though peace has been declared by both sides, there continues to be unease between them, as there always is. The lull in the fighting is seen by both as an opportunity to maneuver troops and embed spies. The fighting will begin again. The only question is who will be prepared when it does.
It was during these tense times that you were approached by a messenger claiming to work for Lord Gorbus of Actan. Though you had never heard the name before, the messenger assured you that his lordship was interested in "employing your unique talents," and was willing to compensate you generously. There were few details on what the job involved, just a vague impression that it would be potentially dangerous and that you might be doing a lot of traveling. In the end, you decided to accept. After all, working for nobles usually pays well, and how dangerous could a peace-time mission be anyway?

Well, I finally got around to doing it. That's right folks, I'm going to try my hand at DMing an AIMhack campaign, and in my usual style I'm diving into the deep end head first.

So, here's the Same Page tool that Lilith brought up in the metathread:
Click to reveal.. (Let's all get on the Same Page.)
Do you play to win?

a) Yes, you totally play to win! The win conditions are…
B) Good play isn’t a win/lose kind of thing

Player characters are:

a) expected to work together; conflicts between them are mostly for show
B) expected to work together; but major conflicts might erupt but you’ll patch them up given some time

c) expected to work together; major conflicts might erupt and never see reconciliation
d) pursuing their own agendas – they might work together, they might work against each other
e) expected to work against each other, alliances are temporary at best

The GM’s role is:

a) The GM preps a set of events – linear or branching; players run their characters through these events. The GM gives hints to provide direction.
B) The GM preps a map with NPCs and/or monsters. The players have their characters travel anywhere they can reach on the map, according to their own goals.
c) The GM has no plan – the GM simply plays the NPCs and has them act or react based on their motivations
d) There’s no GM. Everyone works together to make the story through freeform.
e) There’s no GM. The rules and the system coordinate it all.

The players’ roles are…

a) …to follow the GM’s lead to fit the story
B) …to set goals for their characters, and pursue them proactively
c) …to fling their characters into tough situations and make hard, sometimes, unwise choices

Doing the smartest thing for your character’s survival…

a) …is what a good player does.
B) …sometimes isn’t as important as other choices
c) …isn’t even a concern or focus for this game.

The GM’s relationship to the rules is…

a) …follow them, come what may. (including following house rules)
B) …ignore them when they conflict with what would be good for the story
c) …ignore them when they conflict with what “should” happen, based either on realism, the setting, or the genre

After many sessions of play, during one session, a player decides to have her character side with an enemy. This is…

a) …something that shouldn’t even happen. This is someone being a jerk.
B) …where the character becomes an NPC, right away or fairly soon.
c) …something the player and the GM should have set up ahead of time.
d) …only going to last until the other player characters find out and do something about it.

e) …a meaningful moment, powerful and an example of excellent play.

Rules
I'll be using the core AIMHack rules set down by Ephesos (which can be found here), with one minor adjustment: HP totals will be based on 10 + 2 * STR. If you want to increase HP, you must increase strength.

Character Creation
Your character will start at level 1 with 10 points to put into attributes and 20 points to put into skills. Your character's backstory should include some reason to be on Theris that does not involve the mission from Gorbus. The rest is up to you.
Your inventory should reflect your character's background. I'll allow just about any item you want, but I reserve the right to veto anything unbalancing. If you're not sure if it will be allowed, pitch the idea to me anyway. The worst I will do is say no.
You should have a list of spells and techniques for your character. You may have one spell/technique ready for each point in Intelligence.

Availability
When submitting a character please tell me what days of the week you will be available. Sessions will likely start between 5 and 8 pm EST. I'll be choosing characters primarily on the availability of players.
Note: I'm going to be pretty busy for the month of February. I don't yet know what my schedule is going to look like or how long I'm going to be held up. It might be that won't be available for the entire month. We'll just have to see.

Setting
The campaign will take place in Ephesos' setting, Mote, on the island of Theris (which is one of my own design). Familiarity with the Mote setting will not strictly be necessary, but it will help. A rough map of Theris, with most major landmarks and towns already labeled, can be found HERE. I intend to update this map as the party learns about and visits new locations.

Let the games begin. smile

So, two characters submitted so far. Both of them are fighter/tank types, in case anyone was looking to fill a niche. wink

There are a couple of rules things that I forgot to bring up in the opening post, so here they are now.

Click to reveal..
Identifying Magic Items: Anyone with any amount of skill in magic can attempt to identify a magical item. If you are trained in the same magic school as the one used to enchant the item your roll takes no penalty. Otherwise, your roll will take a -3 penalty. The only exception to this is when using a Divination spell designed to identify items.

Food Rations: Each day you character must consume food and water to survive. You can do this by purchasing meals, foraging for or summoning food, eating one of your rations, etc. If you go through a day without eating anything you'll take a small penalty to all actions. This penalty will stack over time. Go to long without food and water and it will start taking a toll on your HP and stamina. If you have food and water rations in your inventory, I'll automatically deduct them when necessary unless instructed to do otherwise.

That makes five character now. We have enough for a party, but I want to give anyone who hasn't submitted a character yet a chance to finish it up and get it in. I'll give everyone until Thursday to submit and finalize their characters. After that I'll post the final party.

I'd like to schedule the first session for sometime next week and get a couple of sessions in before February hits. That might make the schedule pretty tight, but I'm willing to try.

Character submissions are now officially closed!

And we have ourselves a party! Please give a big round of applause for:

Viatrix Verius Valerius, the human lieutenant! (Nalyd)

Click to reveal.. (Stats)
Player: Nalyd

Name: Viatrix Verius Valerius

Race: Human Male

Alignment: Conflicted

Deity: Loshkut

Level: 1

Strength: 5

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 2

HP: 20/20

STM: 10/10

Speed: 4 (encumbered by armor)

Martial (Flail): 3

First Aid: 3

Composure: 3

Nature: 1

History: 1

Stealth: 0+1 racial

Perception: 0+1 racial

Click to reveal.. (Techniques)
Savagery: (2 stamina) Viatrix howls loudly and charges an enemy with his shield and flail, attempting to knock them down, disarm them, and scare them.

Discipline: Viatrix bellows orders to his comrades, giving everyone a bonus to all actions on their next turn.

Click to reveal.. (Inventory)
-Long green cloak

-One-handed flail

-Tower shield

-Banded steel armor, including chest piece, mail and leather skirt, helmet, and shin and forearm guards

-17 gold

-Flint and tinder

-Sword and armor maintenance equipment

-Rope

-Knife

Click to reveal.. (Backstory)
Viatrix occupies an improbably high position in the military of Actan, considering his heritage. Not only a human, but born a Sactorrian. His mother had fled Actan for Sactorria, where she met his father and gave birth to him. Soon after that, the three of them fled to Actan, as the fortunes of war shifted.

There, both his father and mother found their calling among the soldiering life, and so dedicated themselves to Actan. Thus it was that Viatrix was raised - a born soldier. Though neither of his parents ever advanced very far, they proved themselves loyal and competent soldiers many times. When Viatrix came of age, he began to excel to a degree that demanded recognition.

As he clawed through the ranks - of enemies and positions - first his mother and then his father fell to the hazards of their occupation. Viatrix shed his tears and swore to prove himself their better, dedicating himself more and more to his profession.

When the order came to report to Lord Garbus, Viatrix did not question. Orders were orders.

Bandek, the goblin dockworker! (Lilith)

Player: Lilith

Name: Bandek

Race: Goblin Male

Alignment: Brutish

Strength: 5

HP: 20/20

Speed: 5

Martial (Brawling): 4

Streetwise: 3

Stealth: 2

Perception: 1

Composure: 0+1 racial

Nature: 0+1 racial

Shove: Pushes the target into an adjacent enemy or terrain obstruction (table, wall, etc.) while attacking. If shoved into a terrain obstruction, inflicts increased damage; if shoved into an enemy, throws both targets off balance, penalising their attack and defence for the rest of the round. In either case, the user's defences are also penalised for the rest of the round.

Smash and Grab: (1 stamina) Pulls the target close with one hand and attacks with a weapon held in the other. Inflicts normal damage, but on a successful attack the target is grabbed: they are immobilised and suffer a penalty to attack and defence until they make a successful Strength or Dexterity roll to break free. The attacker must remain adjacent to the target in order to maintain the grab, but can drag the target along at a rate of 1 space per round.

-Leather Jerkin

-Woolen cap

-Steel-toed boots

-Backpack with false bottom and concealed pockets

-Long knife

-Small crowbar

-Cargo hook

-5 feet of sturdy iron chain

-Jug of cheap whiskey

-2 gold coins worth of small change

Bandek grew up in a seedy neighbourhood of Port Laz. As the fifth child in a poor family, he learned early in life that nothing was going to come easy for him: whatever he wanted, he had to take it for himself. For most of his adult life he's travelled from island to island, working as a manual labourer or as hired muscle until his well-deserved reputation for starting fights and associating with criminals catches up to him and he leaves town to make yet another fresh start.

For the past few months, Bandek has been spending his time in Revossa, earning a living by loading and unloading cargo at the docks. He has taken advantage of his old criminal connections to earn extra money handling deliveries of goods under the table, either to evade taxes or to allow contraband into the city. Ever since Actan took over Revossa and imposed martial law, this extra source of funds has mostly dried up, so the chance to earn some quick cash working for a local lord is very appealing to him.

Chantico, the party's pyromaniac... I mean, the lacewing sage! (Sarachim)

Player: Sarachim

Name: Chantico

Race: Lacewing Female

Alignment: Explosive

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 6

HP: 14/14

Magic (Evocation): 3

Nature: 2

Artifice: 2

History: 1+1 racial

Religion: 1

Thievery: 0+1 racial

Chantico was a mercenary in the recent war, first for Actan, then Sactorria, then Actan again. Unlike most mercenaries, she did not change sides out of a cunning calculation of her interests, but as a necessary follow-up to having set her commanding officer on fire. Now, with the war over, Chantico is unemployed, but her most recent commander gave her a good word with Lord Gorbus. Fortunately, none of her previous commanders are still alive to weigh in.

Hopping Jaguar, the goblin ninja! (Triumph)

Player: Triumph

Name: Hopping Jaguar

Alignment: Quixotic

Strength: 4

Intelligence: 3

HP: 18/18

Martial (Unarmed): 3

Martial (Sling): 2

First Aid: 2

Stealth: 2

Thievery: 2

Composure: 1+1 racial

Nature: 0+1 racial

Shoot from the Shadows: Time attacks so that opponents cannot pinpoint their origins. Attack as normal, but make an additional Stealth check. If passed, character retains concealment.

Masterful Flourish: Instead of attacking, dazzle nearby foes with a display one’s martial skill; this functions as an enhanced intimidate check based on melee skill.

Disarming Twist: A deft attack that does no damage to the target, but instead attempts to dislodge an object from the target’s grasp.

-Ninja clothes

-Non-descript dark cloak

-Dark leather gloves

-Chainmail vest (worn beneath ninja cloak to muffle any sound)

-Dark leather boots

-Leather sling

-Pouch of stones

-Rope

-Grappling Hook

-First aid kit

-Set of lockpicks

-Emergency set of lockpicks concealed in boot

-Stamina potion X2

-Healing potion X2

-Daily ration X5

-Piece of gold X30

-Compass

-Telescope

“Great ninja need no introduction. Formerly great ninja…do.” Hopping Jaguar (named for a fierce predator said to dwell on Ouracasos) spent much of his life in the village where he grew up, an isolated settlement on the north cape of Boranis. A skilled hand-to-hand fighter in his youth, Hopping Jaguar let his training slip as he grew older. A report of a minor pirate attack down the coast struck a nerve in the goblin, prompting him to sally forth on the Great Pirate Hunt, while resuming his training along the way. He’s drifted from island to island, meeting no pirates thus far (and unable to decide whether that is because they are all fleeing from him in terror, are much sneakier than he realized, or just aren’t as much of a problem as he first thought). The last ship he booked passage upon recently arrived in Revossa. While he explored the town, a strange messenger approached him, offering adventure…

And last but not least it's Sarelim Silverwind, the human street urchin! (Nioca)

Player: Nioca

Name: Sarelim Silverwind

Alignment: Evasive/Kind

Physical Description: Fairly unremarkable human male; dark hair, slightly tanned skin tone, blue eyes. Roughly 5'11'', 165 lbs. Age somewhere between 18-24. Wears traveling cloths and a pack, along with a reversible teal/navy cloak.

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 4

Intelligence: 4

HP: 14/14

Magic (Transmutation): 4

Martial (Unarmed): 2

Stealth: 2+1 racial

Composure: 2

Thievery: 1

Sarelim was about ready to panic. He had thought he had done a good job laying low in Actan. He didn't think he had been tracked here yet, and he thought he had kept a low enough profile not to be noticed by the local authorities. Yet here was a messenger, presenting him with a job offer from a noble, wanting to utilize his "unique talents".

How much did this Lord Gorbus know about him?

Sarelim was a long way from home; a Skarrifisskian orphan, Sarelim grew up learning to fend for himself on the streets. He scrounged where he could, stole when necessary, and otherwise led a rather miserable life in the streets of Nikorom, under the shadow of the religious zealots that controlled the city. As he grew older, he became more talented in blending into the crowd and getting into places he shouldn't without others noticing.

He had been using those skills from Skarrifissk to live in the shadows here in Actan. He had even been getting bolder, making more brazen thefts from richer clientelle so as to ease the burden on both his wallet and his conscience; at least they could afford a small loss. He thought he had been doing this unnoticed, and he was only doing it until he could find some sort of trade skill needed in Actan that meshed with his talents. He needed to stay in Theris, at least for the time being...

Because back in Nikorom, he stole from someone he shouldn't have, and paid dearly for it. And if the man he angered found him again, he would likely pay even more.

[/applause]

My apologies to Mistb0rn and Cabadath. If any of the current players drop out, you guys are on my short-list.

It looks like the best days for us to meet are Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. AtCT is going on next Tuesday though, so for next week that just leaves Monday and Thursday. I'd really like to do it Monday, January 23rd, 8:00pm EST, but that means there's going to be 3 different campaigns having sessions in the space of 4 days. If this is going to cause problems or undue stress for any other players or DMs we could easily push this back to Thursday, January 26th, 6:00pm EST. What do you guys think?

I'm okay with Mon. 1/23 at 8 EST.

What an interesting party composition.

We have three First Aid workers but no magic healing...this could be very bad during combat (since hasn't F.A. been defined to work only after fight is over?).

We've also got a striking number of unarmed fighters. Seems to be a fad.

Hey guys, just under 2 hours till the next session.

I've got the log of session 1 ready, but I'm going to need someplace to upload it. If anyone wants to help with that, that would be great.

Originally Posted By: Letter sent from Actan to Sactorria, author unknown
Five persons seen exiting G's manor. Sources say one is Actani lieutenant and other is mercenary. Other three unknown. Recommend further inquiry.

level up~

Click to reveal..
Name: Bandek

Alignment: Brutish

Level: 2

Strength: 6

HP: 19/22

STM: 8/10

Martial (Brawling): 5

Streetwise: 3

Stealth: 3

Composure: 1+1 racial

Nature: 1+1 racial

"Level"

Click to reveal..

Hopping Jaguar is now...

Strength 4

Dexterity 4

Intelligence 3

HP 14/18

Stamina 9/10

Martial (Unarmed) 4

Stealth 3

Martial (Sling) 2

First Aid 2

Thievery 2

Perception 2

Composure 1 (+1 racial bonus)

Nature 1 (+1 racial bonus)

Also, now that my primary martial skill is higher than 3, I feel less guilty about changing my techniques:

Shoot from the Shadows: “Time attacks so that opponents cannot pinpoint their origins. Attack as normal, but make an additional Stealth check. If passed, character retains concealment.”

Blitz Barrage: Pay 1 Stamina. Unleashes a devastating and lightning-quick barrage of blows onto a target, doing elevated damage and either penalizing or outright stunning the victim for 1 round.

Hurricane Spin: Lashes out at multiple targets around the character, making attacks against each one. The character takes a penalty to defense the next round equal to the number of additional targets.

Click to reveal.. (Sarelim Silverwind)
Sarelim Silverwind
Evasive Kind Male Human Street Urchin

Physical Description: Fairly unremarkable human male; dark hair, slightly tanned skin tone, blue eyes. Roughly 5'11'', 165 lbs. Age somewhere between 18-24. Wears traveling cloths and a pack, along with a reversible teal/navy traveling cloak.

10/14 HP / 07/10 STM
_2 STR / _4 DEX / _5 INT
12 FRT / 14 DEF / 15 WIL
0 ARM / 5 SPD / 00/30 XP

Magic (Transmutation) - 4 (10)
Martial (Unarmed) - 3 (6) [+1]
Martial (Crossbow) - 1 (1) [+1]
Stealth - 4 (6+RB) [+1]
Composure - 2 (3)
Perception - 2 (1+RB) [+1]
Thievery - 2 (3) [+1]

Thanks for the help, Nioca.

Click to reveal.. (Quotes!)
Hopping Jaguar: "A true ninja knows the value of stealth!"

Chantico: "Does a true ninja know the value of an indoor voice?"

Chantico: "If they'll burn like a candle, they're things I can handle."

Bandek: "Hah. Only time anyone ever calls me 'sir' is when they're tryin' to kick me out of a tavern."

Sarelim: "Erm, we're not going to enter the pass during the night, are we? It seems like ghosts would work best at night."

Hopping Jaguar: "I once heard a sage say that rocks grow best in the dark. I have yet to discern the full import of the proverb."

Chantico: "Woohoo! We're on fire!"

Bandek: "Actually, they are! Let's keep it that way!"

Viatrix: "This armor hasn't failed me yet. It will, of course, but not yet."

Lord Gorbus: "Oh, I know all about your 'experience'. Suffice it to say that very few secrets escape my ears."

Click to reveal..
Player: Nalyd
Name: Viatrix Verius Valerius
Alignment: Conflicted
Deity: Loshkut

Strength: 6 (+1)

HP: ?/22 (+2)
STM: ?/10
Speed: 4 (encumbered by armor)

Martial (Flail): 5 (+2)
Composure: 3
Nature: 1
History: 1
Stealth: 1+1 racial (+1)

Click to reveal.. (Chantico!)
Player: Sarachim
Name: Chantico
Race: Lacewing Female
Alignment: Explosive

Strength: 3
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence: 6

HP: ?/16
STM: ?/10

Magic (Evocation): 5
Nature: 2
Artifice: 2
History: 1+1 racial
Religion: 1
Thievery: 0+1 racial

3 hours to the next session!

Click to reveal.. (Daily recommended dose of wit)
Hopping Jaguar: "That man is no ninja."

Bandek: "Maybe not, but he keeps shootin' his mouth off like that an' he's gonna suffer a ninja-ry."

Chantico: "I am watching with baited breath to see how you make the best of this lumber yard."

Hopping Jaguar: "Great ninja are...ow...less clumsy."

Sarelim: "Are ninja known for trampling their friends?"

Hopping Jaguar: "I sure hope we haven't accidentally irritated the wrong evil wizard."

Sarelim: "Ow! Why do I keep getting hurt by being next to you guys?!"

Bandek: "Nice thinkin'! That'll smoke him out! Trouble is, if we set THIS side of the forest on fire, isn't he just gonna run out the OTHER side?"

Viatrix: "I will crush the craven dogs if they dare show themselves."

Originally Posted By: Lilith
i attempted to post a warning in this thread but the post didn't show up so i guess i'm posting again! 22 hours to the next session

Huh. That's weird. I saw it just fine a few moments ago, but then my internet abruptly disconnected. When it reconnected, the message was gone.

Spooky.

Well, it turns out that our party's antagonist, Vyncin, is a lot slipperier than he appears to be. Especially when he makes everything wet. wink It also doesn't help that the party almost died. Again.

Next session is scheduled for February 27th at 8 pm EST in room SWRPEternal.

Logs coming soon, I promise.

Well, I just beamed the log of session 3 to Nioca. He should have it up before long. In the meantime, here are some quotes to nibble on.

Click to reveal.. (Mmmm. Quoterific)
Hopping Jaguar: "Neither jungle nor river nor gloom of night...shall stop a ninja from fighting for right!"

Viatrix: "I will happily be outnumbered by the sleeping."

Chantico: "There's always a better option: fire."

Hopping Jaguar: "You do not fear starting a new war between Actan and Sactorria? Will your Lord Gorble be pleased?"

Bandek: "He didn' tell us not t'start a war."

Hopping Jaguar: "A ninja is an honorable foe."

Chantico: "Is a ninja a flammable foe? Because if so, you should back down."

Jamison: "Are you guys sure you want to go attack a Sactorrian patrol? These are professional soldiers we're talking about."

Sarelim: "I would rather not fight at all, but that's what you're forcing me into. Seeing as it's not my plan that's putting my neck on the line, I'd at least like to come out of it with as many limbs as I can muster."

Viatrix: "You will be silent, prisoner. Else you risk your fragile finger-bones."

Vyncin: "That threat would be a lot more effective if I hadn't already seen you try to fight."

Log of session 4 is away!

Instead of doing the usual individual quotes, this time I decided to just pull an entire conversation that I felt summed up the session nicely.

Click to reveal.. (Not your usual quote)
Hopping Jaguar: "Umm...the jungle's over...and so is the trail."

Bandek: "He went east, right? So we just keep goin' east."

Chantico: "This is good. We'll see him a long way off."

Sarelim: "We'll be out in the open. Sactorri soldiers will see us a long way off too."

Chantico: "And we'll see them. Unless they can set things on fire with their brains, this favors us."

Sarelim: "Speak for yourself. I'm not looking for another fight."

Hopping Jaguar: "Maybe...maybe we should camp for a while, in the cover at the edge of the jungle...before we continue the chase? I hate to admit it, but stiff breeze would kill me right now..."

Sarelim: "That sounds... reasonable. It's not like there's a trail we can follow anymore."

Viatrix: "He will only escape further into his country."

Sarelim: "He'll still do that if we pursue. The difference will be whether we're rested or not for whatever happens next."

Bandek: "The kid's got a point. If we get to 'im in this state, are we gonna be able to catch 'im? 'Cause we haven't done such a great job of holdin' on to him so far."