A-EftP - Orb of Thralni: doesn't seem to work

I have just got the Orb of Thralni. I've been wandering about trying to see what it does. I cannot fly over water, over rocks in the way, over lava or up or down an outside ledge. So wtf is it good for?

I have played every Exile/Avernum game produced and in this one the Orb doesn't seem to have any use at all. Any ideas? It seems to activate and my characters get a wing symbol that last for 3 moves. However they can only go places their own two legs are good for anyway.

It works reasonably for me. You have to use the mouse to click the orb in your inventory and then click on a destination square within 3 moves of your current position. The one odd behavior is that, if there's a way to get to that space without flying, the game defaults to walking. This annoyed the heck out of me when I was trying to get past Almaria without losing the Cloak of the Arcane I picked up in Fort Emerald. You have to do some island hopping rather than just straight across the river at any point.