Battery drain

Not exactly a real problem, but a surprise: Avernum is a battery/CPU *hog*!

Not running Avernum, I get 4-5 hours on my MBP battery (web browser, Word, email, whatever). Start up Avernum and it goes to <1 hour, with Activity Monitor reporting constant >100% CPU usage, fan constantly on, and machine burning up.

What on earth is it doing? smile

I do like the new graphics. However, I have to admit that it is frustrating to see performance issues that crop up every time the sparkles go crazy. How come we can turn off frilly terrain, but we can't turn off the little magic sparkles that SURELY are a big contributor to performance problems?

Many Spiderweb games, even the older ones, peg the CPU even when doing nothing (e.g. hit "ESC" to pull up the menu, then switch to a terminal, run "top -o cpu", and watch Avernum suck up 100% CPU). I just suspend the offending game when I switch to something else ("killall -STOP Avernum" in the terminal), then resume it ("killall -CONT Avernum") when I want to play again.