My summons are killing my party how manage it?

My summons (at Hard difficulty) aren't really killing my party but some summons can explode when killed and do huge damages to the party or at least to close members.

At first I believed it was only the Unstable Mass summon that could do that, but then realized Slime could too, perhaps for specifically violent death only.

It's not even constant but it seems there's random so you can't even use it at your advantage.

Here the poor tricks I used:

• Not summon at all, I end do that in a specific fight against a strong enemy after to have waste a fight close to win because of a last pointless summon. Not summon isn't a solution, that's clear.
  • Keep a constant eye on the summon for healing support. That's was I was doing with Unstable Mass that was rare enough, but when I realized it was for Slime too, it's not an acceptable solution because Slime+Mass are too frequent summons.
  • Increase Endurance level of my party, well already done for the close fighters, at level 7 my Survivor has 9 END and the second warrior mixing bow and pole has 7 END. But my Priest and Mage has low END.
  • Run and escape the fight as soon as there's a summon of Slime of Mass, I have done that once but it's weird those summons happen too often.
  • Lower the difficulty setting from Hard to Normal when such summon popup. No way, I tried play a bit at Normal and it removed a lot of the spice to replay this game through a remake.

Now one point, my mage doing the summoning, has Call Beast level 3, Summoning focus level 1, INT now at 10 at level 7. Sure it doesn't help to have strong summons, but still.

For me this is a design bug, but ok have you any advices on how manage this?

Well thanks to give me an advice, but I feel the under layout of your answer is that I shouldn't use Call Beast anyway because it's pointless and too weak.

That's wrong, at least Hard difficulty, Mage level 7, INT 10, Spellcraft 2, Magic Spells level 7, Summoning Focus 1, Magic Efficiency 1 through an item.

The summons are very random so it can be a weaker one. For sure when not weak most don't do that much damages, but receive hits and attract the attention of one or few monsters and survive more than just one or two rounds, and sometimes it's even a strong summon. It's less useful against a very strong enemy but sometimes it helps anyway for taking busy some weaker enemy with the strong one.

Moreover I don't have yet the spells Shade Summoning or Summon Aid. I think I can buy Shade Summoning but I don't have the money to waste in two learned levels of this Spell and haven't find the book yet. For summon Aid I'm not sure I even found yet a mage teaching it.

Originally Posted By: Vent
One more party crushed by a summoned Slime exploding. Well very bad design detail, more a bug or design bug making Call Beast pointless.

When I get one of those summons, I just try to move my party back to ranged combat out of the range of the kaboom. I find them quite useful that way.

Originally Posted By: Kreador
When I get one of those summons, I just try to move my party back to ranged combat out of the range of the kaboom. I find them quite useful that way.

Ok I won't stop using Call Beast but will try that. The explosion range is very long and retreat is slow but I done it only once not to exploit but flee the Unstable Mass summoned.

I wonder what are those that explode. All the Slimes and always? I felt it wasn't always or not with all Slimes. I also noticed it with Unstable Mass summoned.