WHAT???

Yeah, one thing of note -- unlike a lot of previous games, whether or not you are caught stealing seems to depend 100% on YOUR line of sight, and not the object's. This means that if you can duck around a corner but are still close enough to reach the items, you're golden. It also means that in tight quarters, you can use combat mode and split up, finding places for everyone to hide around town, in order to steal effectively.

As a rule I do not usually steal, and never take anything marked NY. I don't really need to as I am usually rich enough and have enough nice items. Course I am also weird and my characters carry around pipes, and dice, and mugs for drinking even though they don't really do anything wink

I do miss the door closing though, as I would use it strategically in a fight.

For me I do try to role play the characters. I liked A5 because in many cases it was "legit" to steal depending on your viewpoint. In A6 I mostly couldn't steal and still consider myself a true soldier. In this game I'm doing some minor stealing early on because I still haven't figured out if I'm really trying to adjust to life in Avernum or whether it's just do whatever I can to get out and get revenge. So I'm trying not to steal and call attention to myself, but on the other hand if someone is a jerk to me or its strongly in my self interest to steal something I might.

It's all right, thanks, it's only a new way to find to do same things. I wonder why this feature has changed. Is it maybe because this way game programers can now store valuable objects in same town boxes, with the assurance you can't take them before being strong enough to kill someone really strong and fight a whole riot against you in town?

By the way, can we also fight the good ones as it was in old Avernum? I missed this feature in Avadon.

Originally Posted By: Superba
It's all right, thanks, it's only a new way to find to do same things. I wonder why this feature has changed. Is it maybe because this way game programers can now store valuable objects in same town boxes, with the assurance you can't take them before being strong enough to kill someone really strong and fight a whole riot against you in town?

Apparently one of the reasons is the existence of the iPad version: it's hard to point very precisely with the iPad's touchscreen, and players kept closing doors by accident in Avadon while trying to move through them. So A:EftP keeps you from closing doors, and was designed around that constraint.

I don't remember well so I'm not sure but I don't think NPC could open doors during adventure mode of Avernum. And during fight mode I don't remember a PC could open doors, for NPC I think they could sometimes. Well I didn't check anything despite all games are installed on my computer, well all Avernum but not Exile.

About stealing, first I feel it like cheating, second I don't feel I'm ok to accept the consequences. It's not balanced consequences and there's logic to that, but the point is it's not balanced. So it ends in my point of view to always succeed steal and never been caught, so reload if I get caught.

About killing neutral or friendly NPC, it's complicated. I feel it weird. Consequences should be a lot more extreme and often it's not. The player make all the quests related to the town, check a walkthrough to know it, then mass murder the town quite easily. I would be a game designer (lol) in no way I would accept design a game allowing that, just a matter of principle.

About the door if it's really the ipad the cause, then the solution is rude. In Avadon you can manage it anyway, and if it's really a problem some other solutions would work. Double tap to close doors, or multi touch two fingers to open and close doors, one finger touch is kept for moving.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Superba

Apparently one of the reasons is the existence of the iPad version: it's hard to point very precisely with the iPad's touchscreen, and players kept closing doors by accident in Avadon while trying to move through them. So A:EftP keeps you from closing doors, and was designed around that constraint.

I think a "Close Doors" option would have been a better solution then pure removal.