Old but good mac-will it work?

1.33 Ghz Memory: 512 MB-Mac Mini

Hard Drive Capacity: 40 GB Processor Type: PowerPC G4

Operating System: 10.4.11

DDR2 SDRAM

Those are my specs for my mac. Its a slightly old computer and runs very well even with the newer 10.4.11 and never has any problems. I have some areas listed to play the game. Will the game run under those qualifications slightly alright? Anyone that has a mac, any tips?

Im in a similar debacle. I found this Mac I can afford this christmas for a friend. He doesnt know why im buying it for him, the real reason is because he always said he wanted to play avernum if it was remade. That was about a year ago, so i think that he doesnt know.

Here is the Mac Apple i am planning on buying for him.

It seems to have all the requirements-operating system, mb ram, the only one a little low is megahertz. The guy at the apple store said that macs arent as rigid as pcs when it comes to game requirements. Is that true and will i be alright with this mac? Anyone that has a mac, this would be very helpful to me.

A 1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo is way faster than a 1.3GHz PowerPC G4. The actual clock speed is only slightly faster, but the CPU itself is much more powerful. It is a dual-core chip for one thing. For another, it is much more modern architecture. That iBook meets the minimum requirements but not the recommended requirements, so the game should work, but it might run slowly at times.

Probably, but not definitely. Keep in mind that that computer is six years old. It doesn't even run on the same chipset as modern Macs, and it certainly can't handle recent operating systems.

Why is it so urgent that you spend $200 on a very obsolete computer when you could just wait a few months and your friend could happily play on whatever computer he's using now?

—Alorael, who is also a fan of Avernum games. But $200 is a little beyond the pale when it comes to price tags for the game. You can always buy him A:EftP for him for Christmas and let him wait to play it until it's out on an OS he runs.

Thanks for the tips, so far im narrowing it down to 1 mac. It sounds like a stupid idea i know, but its kind of like the epic gift since last year they gave me an empowering gift. So i kind of have to do the same. The only problem is im not sure what is more important with regards to specs. The mac i am thinking on is cheaper, has 1.5 gigs of ram which is a check, 10.5 operating system, check, the only problem is it has 1.35 gigahertz. Will the .25 gigahertz difference from the recommended hurt the gameplay of the game. Ive heard that usually a computer is safe if it has almost 2 gigs of ram, but frankly i dont know what is more important.

Im sorry for the stupid questions, but i really want to make this work.Thanks in advance.

Mac Laptop

It might be a little slow or stuttery, or it might not. There's not much information to go on, but that latest computer, with 1.5 Gb RAM, is necessarily the last generation of iBook. It's still an old computer, but I think you can reasonably expect it to work, and it's at least as good as the other one you looked at.

—Alorael, who will let his disagreement with the purchase of a computer for a single game go. Even though you're nuts!