A little help

icedan77

Hey I got my exile cd in and am going to have to buy a older windows to run it in a VM to play them as I cant even get the install to run not a big deal I was expecting to have to do this to make it work but had 1 Q and ran into one small problem the Q was what was the windows that exile ran on I had E1 a lonnnnng time ago and cant rember if it was on 95 or XP anyone know what be the better one to get?

and the small problem I was not expecting is I need to find a way to get an older windows software I figured microsoft have it cheap on there web site but all you can buy there is win 7 and I have it and thats no help I think my mom has a XP cd some place but she is out of town for the next few weeks and I dont want to dig in her house and was just wondring if any one knows a good place to dl it?

thanks -Dan

did that I have a very large stack of old games i like to dig out and play from time to time so I know the basic tricks of seting it to run as admin and trying all the compatbilty modes and loading things in the dos box but it wont even start the install as it uses the old um 16 or 32 bit to run and it wont open with any of the compatablitys I have found that compatablity mode very rarely works on games for me lol

Dos Box works for master of orion 2 fine there is a vid on you tube that shows how to install it and make it work (not my vid just one I used) I have not had a lot work on dos box but that was one of my all time fav games so it was a big deal to me and I am runing windows 7 64 bit not pro not sure if they call it home or what but I know if you have pro you can get a free DL of XP to use in a VM but sadly I dont have pro

I have gotten it work in DOSBox, but you have to install either Windows 3.1 or Windows 98 within the DOSBox shell. I have done the Win3.1 install, so I know it works. I have not tried the Win98 yet, but supposedly it works OK.

Once you have that installed, install the game and get it registered. Make a backup copy of the entire directory. You can then move the game into another directory, or re-install it from the backup if needed.

At this point you can either play the game in DOSBOX mode, or you can create a shortcut to it and set your compatibility mode there. One caveat; it does require a 16/32-bit OS. XP-32bit works fine, but any 64bit OS will do 32-bit apps, but not 16-bit.

lol I just broke down and pluged up my old pc it is on win XP and runs all 3 fine I was just going to upgrade my windows 7 on my other pc to use XP mode but they wanted $189.00 for the upgrade and when im not sure that will work thats a little much to roll the dice when my old pc runs fine just a little slow

tyvm micawber I mite get that on my new pc my old one cant get online anymore my mcafee trys to kill my pc when it updates 1st 2 times it just locked it up but the last time I got the blue screan of death and thankfuly it started back up after that I desided not to see what #4 will do lol

and on a side note (yes I know im needy and Im sorry but I really like posting on forms) when I log in on the forms here about 3\4 of the time I click forms and it logs me back out I have used a few other forms over my years and I know to have my cookies on and that sometimes it will time out and log you out but normaly that is the only thing that makes you log out like that but what bogles me is that its not all the time that magic time I log in it works fine and I stay loged in just fine and it has done it on 2 dif pcs so its not something from just the one