New Windows 3D Editor

Ishad Nha

In the topic "Mac Editor v1.2", Tridash gave a link to a Windows version of the new Mac Editor in his post "Re: Mac Editor v1.2 [Re: Sylae] #245186 - Sep 13, 2011 8:56 AM". The link concerned is:

http://redsaurus.net/blades/multiwindows_sortofworks.zip

Here is a screenshot:

Tridash editor screenshot

I don't think the screenshot brings out its full appeal.

I went into Windows Explorer and renamed the editor "MultiBoA3DEditor.exe" so I could use it alongside my other editors. At first glance it seems functional enough, I will have to check all features on it.

It has crashed a bit so be careful until we know whether there is a problem or not.

• 2 months later...

I've been meaning to work on that for a while, I think it breaks some shortcuts and stuff...it was really just an attempt to get something that worked. I'll try and get a newer version done by either next weekend or the one after (sorry about the long time-frame :| ), if there seem to be problems with the one linked to let me know so I can see what needs to be fixed.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: tridash
For the "multi windows" version, as usual i said i would do something and then didn't...I intend to actually fix it up a bit this weekend. Feedback on what actually needs fixing would be helpful too I guess once I've changed obviously broken stuff.

Fix it up, and I'll test it out? And I guess, since you're making the effort, I'll either do a quick scenario as payment, or buy you a drink. Your call. tongue

Stuff i've done since Bourgeois Bat:

• nothing!

currently my plan for the next release is to also have:

• nothing! (yet)

longer-term plans:

• modify tools palette so it's like the mac version
  • make tiles window larger/resizable
  • start bringing missing features over from mac version, priority being able to place items/monsters like floors/terrain

please point out any bugs / issues currently in the windows editor

I also could do with something avernum-related beginning with B for the next version.

i guess i need an adjective to go with chitrach for the version after

Mmmmmm. Me like. Remind me to start using your editor if/when I get the chance to design again.

I also could do with something avernum-related beginning with B for the next version.
You could do whatever for the adjective, but for the noun: Basilisk? Bat? Bon-Ihrno? Bahssikava? Bigail? Bargha? Blosk?

New editor is looking good so far.

To access the source code for this version you will need to go into the Repo-Browser and look in the folder

http://svn.hallsofchaos.net/3D_BoA_Editor_Win/branches/multi-windows

"fix for "resize outdoors" sometimes breaking things"

Good, that problem has existed ever since the resize outdoors function was created for the Windows 3D Editor.

please point out any bugs / issues currently in the windows editor

It's not that huge a thing, but the backspace key seems not to work when entering text into fields or dialog boxes. I assume because you're copying code from the mac, and they don't have backspace keys or something?

edit: also, is it possible to make new scenarios go to the scenarios folder, and not in data? Because this has never made any sense to me.

Backspace seems to work okay on my Windows version.

I used the Backspace shortcut for another purpose, deleting the currently selected object, when there are two or more objects on the same space. Shortcut seems not to have caused trouble on my version.

New scenario folder: would be handled by the create new scenario function, easy enough to fix. Have it created in a new folder in the Scenarios folder. New folder is named after the scenario.

It seems like the backspace problem was present before my changes (in r89 but not r1...now to find where it got introduced :| ), it looks like something odd is happening with the input code, I'll see if I can track the problem down.

edit: a related problem seems to be that using 'tab' when in a dialogue window toggles 2d/3d as well as doing what it should

On my version of Tridash's new Editor the Backspace shortcut seems to work okay. I downloaded his code and compiled it myself. I can backspace text in signs in the normal way.

Ditto, I had no apparent problem with the Tab key.

Pressing the = button will de-select any item, you could try that before using the backspace key.

Okay, so I opened Tridash's editor (the latest version), and attempted to make a new scenario, but was unable to use backspace to delete text. I then placed a sign, and was unable to, even after pressing "=". Literally all I'd pressed at this point was the backspace key. All I'd clicked on was the relevant commands to make a scenario, open it, and place a sign.

Thanks for taking a look at that Ishad Nha..currently I'm using visual studio express 08 to compile, will have to work out why it's behaving strangely.

edit: ctrl-h and backspace seem to be doing the same thing...so when there's an accelerator for ctrl-h backspace's not working. no idea why it's only happening in visual studio.

edit again!:

ctrl-h and backspace have the same ascii code, so changing from:

Code:
    "^H",           113,                    ASCII,  NOINVERT

to:

Code:
    "H",           113,                    VIRTKEY, CONTROL,  NOINVERT

seems to solve the problem - it must be a difference in how resources are compiled in visual studio

could you check if that kind of change still works in your compiler Ishad Nha? if so i'll change all of them to be like that.

"ctrl-h and backspace seem to be doing the same thing"

That really is mixed up, the two shortcuts do wholly different things and are defined in different source files. How does Visual Studio do that?

Yes, the new phrasing you suggested for Ctrl-H does work.

I compiled with Bloodshed Dev C++, it was a straight C++ source code. Maybe there is an idiosyncracy in your compiler.

Best idea is to download Dev C++ and use it, at least for this project.

I am left wondering how Visual Studio screwed up when Bloodshed Dev C++ did not. I am also left wondering what else Visual Studio might foul up. Rather than rewriting the code to match your compiler, get a compiler that matches your code! Dev C++ is freeware too.

Originally Posted By: Ishad Nha
That really is mixed up, the two shortcuts do wholly different things and are defined in different source files. How does Visual Studio do that?
Easy. Ctrl-H is the backspace character. Just look at any ASCII chart. wink

I compiled with Bloodshed Dev C++, it was a straight C++ source code.
Eh, might want to get a new compiler... that's old and outdated now.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Easy. Ctrl-H is the backspace character. Just look at any ASCII chart. wink

I compiled with Bloodshed Dev C++, it was a straight C++ source code.
Eh, might want to get a new compiler... that's old and outdated now.

eh, just pop a new version of MinGW into the Dev-Cpp folder area and it'll be fine. That's all Dev-Cpp is anyway, a IDE frontend for mingw.

presenting Bourgeois Bat

thanks to Dintiradan for the noun and Nikki for the adjective

changes:

• Added tooltips for the tools palette
  • Fixed an issue where backspace didn't work in dialogue boxes when the editor was compiled with Visual Studio
  • Fixed buttons overlapping the border of dialogue windows
  • Added basic scrolling to the tiles window and main window. shift+scroll scrolls left-right in the main window.
  • Probable fix for "Resize Outdoors" ruining scenario files
  • Made maximise button work
  • New scenarios get placed in the scenarios folder, not the data folder
  • Moved the tools palette to its own window

you can get it here

here's a screenshot you can look at if you don't actually want to download

WANTED: adjectives to accompany chitrach

This is looking absolutely great Tridash! Thanks for all of the hard work.

Sorry I've been totally useless for the last couple of months; I had a big bi-annual work meeting a couple of weeks ago which necessitated a big push to get stuff ready. Now that I have some breathing room I hope to pick up my activities around here. (Of course I told myself I'd start last week, and then I spent all of my spare time rewriting a piece of software for work.)

At the moment all of this work is still in the Windows multi-window branch, right? How close would you say we are to being able to merge it to the trunk, slap a version number on it, and call it a release? (I'd really like to be able to give the Windows version better treatment on my downloads page.)

Yeah, it's still all in the multi-window branch. I think for Chivalrous Chitrach I'd (at a minimum) like to make the interface look and function the same as the mac version (i.e. the new tools palette and properly recalculating 2d view size) and bring over the item/monster placement like floors etc. from the mac version. Probably also some kind of double-buffering for the main window so it doesn't flicker when resizing. If I don't break anything with that, I guess I can clean up the code for that version a little and merge it back to trunk.

edit: if you're a windows-using scenario designer please do use this and complain about it if something's broken

Unfortunately it looks like I broke that in the latest version frown

will definitely be fixed for next version; I've ported copy + pasted the automagically resizing 2d view thing over from mac version now

edit: so here's the done/todo so far, will update this:

done

• large/small 2d views automagically resize now with the window
  • 'realistic' 3d view now has the draw distance changing with the window size
  • started to bring tool handling in line with mac version
  • fix broken restore from minimise
  • tooltips should now show properly when editing outdoors
  • fixed flickering in main window
  • moved drawing mode change buttons to tiles window and view mode change buttons to main window
  • allow sounds to be turned off via edit menu
  • fix misplaced 'OK'
  • normalised spray behaviour with mac version

todo

• bring tool handling in line with mac version (port)
  • place monsters/items from tiles window like floors/terrain (port)
  • reshuffle tools so like in mac version (port)
  • resizable tiles window (kind-of-port)
  • resize town / delete current town (port)

I'm really liking the new editor. It's very nice being able to resize the window so I can see more of the terrain.

One little quirk I've noticed though while editing the outdoors. When you hover over the option to set town entry boundaries, it says "place terrain script" even though it is still just the town entry.

Both Functions in the fourth line work properly outdoors, from what I can see, it is just that the tool tips descriptions are wrong.

There is also a misplaced OK near the bottom of certain dialog screens like those created by the two functions. Probably an artifact of compiling with Visual Basic, I have no idea of what the solution is.

ok, so it looks like the spray can on windows currently behaves differently to the mac one - it only seems to spray if the stuff it's spraying on is floor 0 / terrain 0 - is this right?!

I've changed it to be like the mac version (spray whenever) but can revert if people want it to stay the same

• 3 months later...

here's Chivalrous Chitrach then, just stuff from April really

changes:

• Large/small 2d views automagically resize now with the window
  • 'Realistic' 3d view now has the draw distance changing with the window size
  • Started to bring tool handling in line with mac version
  • Fixed broken restore from minimise
  • Tooltips should now show correctly when editing outdoors
  • Fixed flickering in main window on XP
  • Moved drawing mode (floors/terrain) change buttons to tiles window and view mode (realistic/2d/3d/zoom) change buttons to main window
  • Allow sounds to be turned off via edit menu
  • Fixed misplaced 'OK' in some windows
  • Normalised spray behaviour with mac version

you can get it here

please tell me how it works and what you want done that's not on the todo list