Frontiers of Darkness (An AIMhack)

keira

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, we have a party! Please look over your characters and make sure I didn't mess anything up. Stuff listed in backpacks, satchels, or otherwise hidden are not shown, because it's silly to go and show five strangers the contents of your backpack.

Also, the first session will be Saturday, June 30, 4:00 PM MDT (convert) in AIM room SWfrontiers. Should anarchy arise, July 5 at 6:00 PM MDT is the nearest suitable backup.

And here's the party! Sorry about the text-wall post, turns out the New UBB doesn't allow nested spoilers.

Originally Posted By: Voria Grey Amerestau (Nioca)

Voria Grey Amerestau

Impatient Female (former) Mercenary Engineer

1STR / 2DEX / 2PER / 4INT

12HP / 12AC / 4SPD / 13XP

Health: 10/10/12

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION

5'9'', 150 lbs. Fair skin, straight brown hair, blue eyes. Tends to wear silver and black engineering fatigues, complete with boots and gloves, covering pretty much every inch of skin below the neck.

FEATS

Gadgeteer Genius - You've got an inherent talent when it comes to creating and modifying various devices. You gain a +4 bonus to engineering or gun knowledge checks when creating or modifying gadgets and weaponry, and the consequences of failure are reduced.

COMBAT

Unarmed (STR): +1

Thrown (DEX): +2

Melee (STR): -3 (2H -3; DW -5/-7)

Small Arms (PER+½DEX): -1 (DW -3/-5)

Heavy Weapons (PER): -2

Shotguns (½PER): -3

SKILLS

Athletics: 1+1

Engineering: 4+4

Energy Gun Knowledge: 3+3

Kinetic Gun Knowledge: 2+2

Observation: 2+2

Piloting: 1

Click to reveal.. (Inventory)

-Microplasma Repeater (MPR) [Energetic Small Arm; 100% SPC, -4% per shot, +5Thermal, -1 HIT] - What amounts to a plasma submachine gun. Compact and reasonably concealable in loose clothing (or under a backpack), and capable of rapid-fire low-yield plasma blasts. Good for close-quarters combat on-board ships and stations.

-Engineering Uniform [+1Thermal +1Photon] - Clothing specially designed to resist high temperatures and help regulate body heat. Comes complete with gloves and boots.

-Multi-Function Solar Watch - Keeps time, has built-in simple atmospheric monitor and temperature gauge.

-Mobile Computer System (MCS) [MPC 100%] - A small hand-held computer with wireless capabilities.

-Prescription Painkillers (4 doses) [+4HP (tmp)] - Painkillers being used to help Voria's recovery from surgery.

-Wallet

-Backpack

Click to reveal.. (Backstory)
The doctor had ordered Voria to take it easy the next few days. She was lucky to be alive, he said. Head trauma like that was usually fatal, he said. Those painkillers are not to be taken with alcohol, he said.

Feeling the distinctive stabbing sensation of her broken ribs and fractured skull, Voria popped a couple painkillers, then washed it back with the last of her glass of ale. At least, the locals here at Srafin called it ale. But, at this point, she wasn't feeling picky. It was finally starting to dawn on her just how deep she was in.

It started a month ago when, after graduating from the Terine School of Engineering, she signed on as assistant engineer with the Wolfheart mercenary group. Assigned to the lesser gunship WMS Fury, she had quickly settled into a rather routine, if somewhat boring, job. Right up until the Fury had been called in to deal with a group of raiders over in the Tesla system, that is.

At that point, everything went downhill. The Fury was heavily damaged in the fighting, but ultimately came out victorious. However, while affecting repairs and modifications to the Fury's shield generators, Voria accidentally caused them to go supercritical. The resultant explosion crippled the Fury and sent it plummeting uncontrolled to a desolate planet below.

Only three survived the crash. Which quickly got whittled down to one after the two surviving mercenaries decided to use their coilguns to voice their displeasure with Voria's repairs; a few lucky shots with her MPR left Voria the last person alive on-board the Fury.

Voria's next action was rather sensible; she broadcast a distress call to any ships in the system. The action after that was less sensible. Wolfheart mercenary protocol stated that the property of the deceased went to the commanding officer of the vessel, and that, in event of an emergency, the highest-ranking officer on-board was in command. Voria was the highest-ranking (and only) officer left. Her fractured skull came up with the brilliant idea to transfer the cash from the accounts of everyone on board into her own, claiming the value of a new ship for her own.

...In hindsight, and with the benefit of a non-concussed mind, that was not overly bright. The higher-ups in Wolfheart would likely disagree with Voria's assessment of the crash and her rights, in such a way as to cause her organs to lose the right of being internal. She now had a good amount of cash (she made sure to empty and close her account), sure, but it would likely wind up bringing Wolfheart mercenaries right to her doorstep. And the idea of actually claiming a new ship from them was downright laughable.

A small trading vessel "generously" had picked her up from the wreckage and took her to the small colony of Srafin for medical treatment, in exchange for keeping the salvage from the Fury. A large portion of the money from the wreck went to paying for the intensive surgery she needed. Which left Voria stuck in this bar, looking desperately for a way to get off the planet. Her mercenary friends probably already had a bounty on her. It was only a matter of time before they caught up.

Which made Iaron Damar's offer too good to pass up. Pay (hopefully in cash), potentially getting away from the planet, and some unwitting bodyguards? Forget taking it easy. She had places to go, and people she hoped not to see.

Originally Posted By: Irene Winters (B.J.)

Name: Irene Winters

Alignment: Adventurous

Level: 1

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 2

Perception: 3

HP: 14/14/14

AC: 12

Speed: 4

Piloting: 3

Athletics: 3

Observation: 2

Tactics: 2

Sneak: 1

Station Brat: +3 DEX in low gravity; -2 DEX, -1 STR when planetside.

Inventory:

On Person:

-2 Laser Pistols [-2% SPC, Sm, +2Ph]

-2 Hip Holsters

-1 Standard Power Cell [100%]

-T-shirt, trousers, belt

-Polyester Jacket

-Leather Boots

-Hair-tie

-ID, pilot's license

-Credits [34]

-Shoulder bag

"That child is nothing but trouble." That's what everyone said about the eldest daughter of Admiral Winters. In her youth, Irene was a troublemaker, a child seemingly hell-bent on causing her parents nothing but worry and grief, who had a tendency to drag her sister, the normally well-behaved Sasha, into her many misadventures. To Irene, the various naval stations where she spent her youth afforded no end of interesting spaces to explore. Much to the chagrin of the station staff, Irene always managed to find ways into places she shouldn't be. To her, it was all one big game.

All told, it was a wonder Irene made it through her childhood without wandering out an air-lock (though there were a few close encounters), but Irene did eventually grow up. When she was 10, her father taught her how to shoot an energy pistol. At 16, he taught her how to fly a shuttle. And at the age of 18, she received basic EVA training. Her father expected her to follow in his footsteps and become a pilot in the navy, but Irene always seemed to have ideas of her own. At 19 years of age, Irene struck out on her own, intent on seeing the galaxy. She departed on friendly, if somewhat shaken, terms with the rest of her family

Being a certified shuttle pilot, Irene was able to get a job just about anywhere. For years she traveled, visiting all the ports of call she could find, and picking up a few paydays here and there. A couple of those paydays were from small mercenary groups who needed a good pilot. Irene liked doing those. They tended to pay more, and the company was always interesting. Of course, there was always a drawback to working with mercenaries. Sometimes she got shot at, and sometimes she got shot down.

It hadn't exactly been her plan to stay on Srafin. She had been planning on leaving after her last job, but when her shuttle took a hit from a plasma rifle and went into a swan-dive, her plans became as much scrap as her crashed shuttle. Irene did end up getting paid, but not nearly as much as she had hoped, and not enough to book a flight to the nearest space port. She was going to be on Srafin a little longer, it seemed.

At least, it did until Iaron Damar walked into a bar and said the words "…twenty thousand in Imperial cash…"

Originally Posted By: Freckles (Rowen)

Freckles (Rowen)

L1 Female

Str: 3

Dex: 3

Int: 1

Per: 2

16/16/16

Feats:

Bloodthirsty - 1PD "Bloodlust" +6HP, +2HIT for 2+level/2 turns

Athletics: 4

First Aid: 1

Intimidation: 2

Observation:1

"Every one is a killer, they just don't know it."

I stare aghast at the freckled child kneeling on my chest. I wanted to get away from her, twist out from under her and run, but the cool steel of the blade she held pressed into my neck had already broken the skin and I didn't want to make it worse.

"You see" she continued, "We all have the same ability to see a living creature, and then snuff it out with no remorse. It's empowering, just like the feeling of holding a magnifying glass over a helpless ant. You watch as it tries to escape, but it never can, for you are a killer and you have decreed the ant should die."

"You're sick." I heave my chest trying to knock her off balance. The result is a burning pain on the left side of my neck as her blade separates my flesh blow its edge. I stop struggling before it kills me, drowning in my own blood.

"My, my, your neck is getting rather ugly. Tell me, how does it feel? Does it feel good for you?" Looking up into her eyes I can see the fierce hatred in them. "Tell me it feels good. I want to know you are enjoying this intimate moment just as much as I am."

I squeeze my eyes shut. How could this be happening? What did I ever do to deserve this? How could she do this to me, of all people, me!

"Aww" she says in a mocking tone. "Don't tell me you are scared of your own daughter!"

"No killer is a daughter of mine." I choke out as the blade cuts my neck from moving the muscles below it.

"And no rapist is a father of mine." she retorts back at me. Then with a single quick movement she draws the knife across my neck. My esophagus fills with my own blood, choking me as I try to gasp for air. The pain is like a fire burning in my neck and spreading into my chest and head. My vision blurs but I can see that she is now standing above me watching. I clasp my hands over my throat trying in vain to stop the bleeding.

After several minutes the man on the ground stopped thrashing. Still standing over him, the freckled child spat on his now dead body saying, "You are less then the ants that I killed."

Colt 45 Peacemaker and Holster [+6pierce, 6/6 LarCalPis, Full rd reload]

6" Hunting Knife and Sheath [+1pierce, +1slash]

12" Hunting Knife and Sheath [+2pierce, +2slash]

Shoulder bag

Levi Blue Jeans

Tan Tank Top

Black Leather Jacket

Socks

Cowboy Style Boots

Cowboy Style Hat

Underwear

ID, personal papers

Credits [29]

Originally Posted By: Tre'vahn (Cairo Jim)

Tre'vahn (Cairo Jim)

L1 Tinkerer

Str: 2

Dex: 3

Int: 2

14/14/14

Feats:

Gadgeteer Genius - +4 Eng/Gun on gadget/weapons creation/mods

Athletics: 2

Engineering: 2

Gun Knowledge (kinetic): 2

Search: 2

Driving: 2

Observation: 1

Swiss Army Knife [+1pierce]

Multi-tool

Zippo lighter.

.303 rifle (with scope) [6/6, +4Pierce]

Denim jacket [+1Blunt]

Water bottle

Satchel

Tre'vahn was always a somewhat intelligent person. From a very young age,he always pulled apart old electronics and the like to see how they worked.

As he got older and started working, he could never stay in the one job for too long, for he always wanted to do something different. Then one day, someone offered him a new start at Srafin, promising something new and capitalising on his massive skillset.

Originally Posted By: Malachi (Actaeon)

Malachi (Actaeon)

L1 Intellectual

Str: 1

Dex: 2

Int: 4

12/12/12

Feats:

Well Read - 1PD "Random factoid" +4 INT next roll

First Aid: 1

Driving: 1

Deception: 1

Speechcraft: 3

Gun Knowledge (kinetic): 2

.303 rifle (with scope) [6/6, +4Pierce]

Winter Clothing [+1Blunt]

Brimmed Hat

Backpack

Ammo pouch [12 Rifle]

Medical Kit

Bookish and old fashioned. A young intellectual who inherited his parents home and a few hundred credits after an accident of some sort. After frittering all my bits away on actual bound books (which, this being the future, are obsolete), and finding myself unable to hold a job due to a bit of a superiority complex and some disregard for authority, I found myself in default. Left with only an old fashioned, projectile based firearm that was my father's (an adventurer in his youth... and a strong enough story teller that he instilled a certain wanderlust in me), what I could carry on my back(detailed below), and the change I had in my pocket, I went on a drinking binge in the bar you spoke of. Looks like I might have a chance to get my place back, and maybe restore (or gain from scratch) some of my honor.

Originally Posted By: Lamya Jaquel (Dantius)

Level 1 Human Female

STR: 1

DEX: 2

INT: 4

PER: 2

HP: 12/12/12

MS: 4

Feat: Well Read (+4 INT rolls 1PD)

First Aid: 4

Deception: 4

Tactics: 1

Streetwise: 1

Gun Knowledge (Energy): 1

Scrubs (Pink)

Labcoat (White)

Backpack

Mobile Computer System (MCS)[MPC 100%]

It was strange, in a way. Not too long ago, Dr. Jaquel had everything going for her. She had graduated summa cum laude from a presteigous medical university in the Imperial core, just completed her residency at a famous medical clinic at the Capital, and had received numerous offers from hospitals for salaries that seemed, frankly, obscene. Then, one day, she recieved notification that all her families accounts had been frozen due to suspected tax fraud. The next, she heard that both her parents, what had been wealthy investment bankers, and her brother Clyve, who had been studying ot be a geneticist, had died in a bizarre life-support failure on their spacecraft as they travelled to their vacation home. The next day, she upped and... left. Well, dissappeared would be more precise. None of her friends could contact her, she left no forwarding address, and told noone where she was going or planning. She fell off the map for a decade, and then resurfaced quietly on the backwater planet of Srafin, running a medical clinic that provided free care to the locals. Of course, many question remain unanswered. Where, exactly, was she for ten years? How was she getting the of credits needed to underwrite her care? Why, under her violently pink scrubs and labcoat that she wore everywhere, was she concealing slim suit of high-quality custom armor? And why, one day, did she shut down her clinic and then show up, haggard and sleepless, in a bar a five thousand kilometers away, so desperate to get off-planet that she threw in her lot with five total strangers to hunt down a kidnapper?

Again, that's Saturday, June 30, 4:00 PM MDT (convert) in AIM room SWfrontiers.

Wow. Four female characters. That's a lot of estrogen.

Let's see, two engineers, a bookworm with a gun, an MD, a pilot, and the obligatory psychopath. This should be interesting. smile

(Also, it seems Lamya's skills were left out. Was that on purpose or was it just an oversight?)

Originally Posted By: Homage
Stuff listed in backpacks, satchels, or otherwise hidden are not shown, because it's silly to go and show five strangers the contents of your backpack.
Aww, you're not going to show them the totally cool item in my inventory? Oh well. Guess they're just going to have to wait to see it. tongue

Originally Posted By: B.J.Earles
Wow. Four female characters. That's a lot of estrogen.

Let's see, two engineers, a bookworm with a gun, an MD, a pilot, and the obligatory psychopath. This should be interesting. smile
(Also, it seems Lamya's skills were left out. Was that on purpose or was it just an oversight?)

The skills shouldn't have been left out. I have 4 First Aid, 4 Deception, 2 Observation, and one each Tactics, Streetwise, and Knowledge (Energy Weapons)

• 2 weeks later...

Level up!

Click to reveal.. (Irene Winters L2)
Name: Irene Winters

Alignment: Adventurous

Level: 2

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 2

Perception: 4 [+1]

HP: 14/14/14

Speed: 4

Piloting: 4 [+1]

Athletics: 3

Observation: 4 [+2]

Sneak: 1

Station Brat: +3 DEX in low gravity; -2 DEX, -1 STR when planetside.

Level!

Originally Posted By: Lamya Jaquel (Dantius)

Level 2 Human Female

STR: 2 [+1]

DEX: 2

INT: 4

PER: 2

HP: 8/6/14

MS: 4

Feat: Well Read (+4 INT rolls 1PD)

First Aid: 5 [+1]

Deception: 5 [+1]

Tactics: 1

Streetwise: 1

Gun Knowledge (Energy): 1

Sneak: 1 [+1]

Scrubs (Pink)

Labcoat (White)

Backpack

Mobile Computer System (MCS)[MPC 100%]

It was strange, in a way. Not too long ago, Dr. Jaquel had everything going for her. She had graduated summa cum laude from a presteigous medical university in the Imperial core, just completed her residency at a famous medical clinic at the Capital, and had received numerous offers from hospitals for salaries that seemed, frankly, obscene. Then, one day, she recieved notification that all her families accounts had been frozen due to suspected tax fraud. The next, she heard that both her parents, what had been wealthy investment bankers, and her brother Clyve, who had been studying ot be a geneticist, had died in a bizarre life-support failure on their spacecraft as they travelled to their vacation home. The next day, she upped and... left. Well, dissappeared would be more precise. None of her friends could contact her, she left no forwarding address, and told noone where she was going or planning. She fell off the map for a decade, and then resurfaced quietly on the backwater planet of Srafin, running a medical clinic that provided free care to the locals. Of course, many question remain unanswered. Where, exactly, was she for ten years? How was she getting the of credits needed to underwrite her care? Why, under her violently pink scrubs and labcoat that she wore everywhere, was she concealing slim suit of high-quality custom armor? And why, one day, did she shut down her clinic and then show up, haggard and sleepless, in a bar a five thousand kilometers away, so desperate to get off-planet that she threw in her lot with five total strangers to hunt down a kidnapper?

Log is up. Yay for find/replace and Dr Pepper.

The calendar wants your dates in it.

also quotes.

Click to reveal..

"Shieldgens can get a bit finicky, though. But I could take a look, if you wanted." - Voria

"Two days ago, you were involved with a kidnapping. First one to tell me everything you know about it doesn't get spaced." - Irene

"I'll chop off your hands and give you to Freckles as a pet." - Malachi

"I can shoot it if you think it will help." - Freckles

"I wonder if Damar was nice enough to leave some supplies on board. I could go with a coffee" - Tre'vahn

"Still, considering that everyone else who volunteered are engineers, pilots, and bookworms, we might be able to use someone like you." - Lamya

I think I need to improve her ability to handle firearms a bit.

Click to reveal.. (Voria Grey Amerestau)
Voria Grey Amerestau

Impatient Female (former) Mercenary Engineer

1STR / 2DEX / 3PER / 4INT

12HP / 12AC / 4SPD / 16XP

Health: 5/5/12

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION

5'9'', 150 lbs. Fair skin, straight brown hair, blue eyes. Tends to wear silver and black engineering fatigues, complete with boots and gloves, covering pretty much every inch of skin below the neck.

FEATS

Gadgeteer Genius - You've got an inherent talent when it comes to creating and modifying various devices. You gain a +4 bonus to engineering or gun knowledge checks when creating or modifying gadgets and weaponry, and the consequences of failure are reduced.

COMBAT

Unarmed (STR): +1

Thrown (DEX): +2

Melee (STR): -3 (2H -3; DW -5/-7)

Small Arms (PER+½DEX): 0 (DW -2/-4)

Heavy Weapons (PER): -1

Shotguns (½PER): -3

SKILLS

Athletics: 1+1

Engineering: 4+4

Energy Gun Knowledge: 4+4 [+1]

Kinetic Gun Knowledge: 2+2

Observation: 3+3 [+1]

Search: 1+1 [+1]

Click to reveal.. (INVENTORY)
EQUIPPED/WORN/POCKETED

-Microplasma Repeater (MPR) [ESA 100%; 5ThermDmg, -1HIT, -4%Shot, Rapidfire] - What amounts to a plasma submachine gun. Compact and reasonably concealable in loose clothing (or under a backpack), and capable of rapid-fire low-yield plasma blasts. Good for close-quarters combat on-board ships and stations.

-Engineering Uniform [+1vsThermal/Photon] - Clothing specially designed to resist high temperatures and help regulate body heat. Comes complete with gloves and boots.

-Multi-Function Solar Watch - Keeps time, has built-in simple atmospheric monitor and temperature gauge.

-Mobile Computer System (MCS) [100% MPC] - A small hand-held computer with wireless capabilities.

-3 Doses Prescription Painkillers [+4THP] - Painkillers being used to help Voria's recovery from surgery. +4 Temporary HP when used.

-Plasma Pistol [ESA 100%; Unknown Stats] - A light energy pistol, capable of firing bursts of plasma.

-Welding Mask [Helmet: +1vsPhoton] - Face and eye protection when wielding heavy equipment.

-Wallet

-Backpack

SHUTTLE

-Power Cell Recharger [Cap: 4SPCs, 2MPCs] - When hooked up to a power source, this gizmo can recharge depleted power cells. The time it takes depends on the quality of the power source and size of the power cell. ***Currently charging 2 SPCs of Voria's and 1 SPC of Irene's.

-Damaged Light Civilian Shieldgen - A damaged shield generator that used to be installed in the shuttle.

-Light Civilian Shieldgen Parts - Part to repair a light collision shield generator.

• 3 weeks later...

And I was ready to drag myself out of bed early on a Monday morning in the middle of winter for this. What a shame tongue

Edit: My times are still the same. The only times that don't work for me are Tuesday, 9-1130 AM AEST. I think that works out to be 5-7.30 PM Monday for you. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure.

Yay for somewhat-predictable plot twists!

Calendar for next session: http://whenisgood.net/f8nawmc - NOTE that timezones are being wonky for some reason, so ensure your times are in MDT (GMT -0600). This post was made at 11:20 pm ish MDT, for comparison.

Logs and quotes coming soon.

Also, regrettably Actaeon had to step down, citing time issues frown

but this means that there is a character slot open. if you are interested and can make the sessions, stuff a level two character with backstory and inventory in my PM box. Stuff it.

Everyone levels, again, apologies for leaving us on super-mega-accidental-cliffhanger, but yeah.

I'll have a calendar sometime after wednesday, when I find out what my classes are.

also dantius i would appreciate it if you give a heads up next time you dont show up thanks