Avernum 1 - Black screen freeze on main map.

Hello everyone,

I'm just getting back to playing the first Avernum after a long hiatus. I loaded up my latest save and found myself at the Castle. I tried to leave the area (to the main exploration map) and a strange error occurred. The whole map was black with the exception of the sprites displaying my party and another patrolling party nearby. I cannot move at all, I can access the menu screens as normal, but that's about it. I tried loading and reloading several times but the same error occurs. This has unfortunately left my game in an unplayable state and I would be very glad if someone could offer up a solution to this problem frown.

Some further information:

I am playing the game on a MacBook Pro OSX 10.6.8.

I should mention that I played the game earlier on a regular MacBook (OSX Tiger, I can't remember the exact version number), which has since broken, and I have transferred all the old files onto my new MacBook via a USB HD dock (I managed to rescue the old HD).

Edit: Damn, I just realized that I probably should have posted this in Tech Support. Sorry for the mistake! I was in too much of a hurry and somehow my eyes just skipped that forum when I was looking for a place to post.

Hey, just a thought, but since you say you've transferred your save files to a new machine, did you remember to register/activate Avernum on the new machine? It sounds like you've passed the shareware barrier by loading your saved game, but since the game is still in demo-mode, it won't let you move/act (there was a similar bug in early versions of A4, I believe, where you could pass the shareware barrier and play the game, but were unable to see anything).

If this is the case a quick email to Jeff will get you a registration code, and you should be alright to carry on.

Okay, thanks! The thought that I'd need to re-register/activate the game did not cross my mind. I'll send an e-mail to Jeff when I've got the time, and hopefully that will solve this issue (I was also thinking of trying to simply re-install the game since I have the disc for it somewhere and then trying to load up one of my old save games again).

Thank you for the quick reply smile.

Originally Posted By: Structualise THIS!
Yeah, the CD version has the registered game, which would save you some time, but Jeff is pretty good at helping with things like this.

Actually, I have A4 on CD and everytime I've had to reinstall it, the game comes up as unregistered. I have the code, but it sucks when you want to just install and play but now have to spend an extra minute or so putting in a code when you shouldn't have to.

Post # 633 cool

Originally Posted By: Arch-Mage Solberg

Actually, I have A4 on CD and everytime I've had to reinstall it, the game comes up as unregistered. I have the code, but it sucks when you want to just install and play but now have to spend an extra minute or so putting in a code when you shouldn't have to.

Erm, I'm not sure how you have "the code" for Avernum 4 when this game, like the vast majority of SW games, generates a new registration code upon each unregistered installation (that is, each time you install the demo, you get a new 5-digit code which you need to give when buying the game).

Erm okay. If you bought a CD copy of A4, you might want to speak to Jeff, because all CD copies of the games should be the full, registered versions.

If you meant you have a demo copy of A4 on another SW game CD, then that's not really helpful or relevant to the conversation, and I'm not sure why you'd say that. tongue

(p.s. not to flog a dead horse, but "having the code" and "calling up to get the code" are not the same thing)

I bought a demo CD several years ago now, and it has 79 BoE scenarios on it, plus the three that came with BoE. It didn't have anything for BoA, because that game was still a year or two away; an up-to-date CD would most likely contain a fair number of BoA scenarios.

Originally Posted By: -–—
—Alorael, who imagines there's not a very big market for it. Maybe someone occasionally has no reliable connection or terrible bandwidth and money to burn.
That's why I bought it back in the day; when your maximum download speed is 1MB per 3-5 minutes, it's almost faster to order a demo CD.