Geneforge 1-Shaper Crypt

Geezer

Just wrapping up Geneforge 1 and find out I need something called a crescent stone to get to the Inner Crypt. These can be found by killing the crescent shades in the Western Wastes and/or the Drayk's Vale.

Two problems-one it doesn't mention this in either of these areas and, two, I'm not sychic! I've gone back to each location twice since I found out about these stones and no shades, nothing since I cleaned out everything on the fist pass. Question what do these stones look like? Do they have a resale value? Could I have already killed these guys, taken the stones and sold them, 'cause they aren't stored in my special items. If not, any hints on where in these two areas should I concentrate my search efforts. Thanks in advance fot your help.....

The stones look like ordinary stones on the ground so you have to use the get command and then look at each one until you find one that's item description is a crescent stone. Even if you killed the crescent shade, another one will appear in each of those zones eventually.

They aren't special items but regular items.

Good luck finding one because I remember taking a long time until I got one.

Originally Posted By: Geezer
Just wrapping up Geneforge 1 and find out I need something called a crescent stone to get to the Inner Crypt. These can be found by killing the crescent shades in the Western Wastes and/or the Drayk's Vale.
In the Western Wastes, there's a special monster called a "Crescent Thahd"; it should drop a stone when you kill it. You'll find its lair near an area where you get a message about something with large footprints. It won't be there all the time, so you may have to come back a few times.

I recently beat GF1 and ran into this same issue. I found out I needed the crescent stone so I came back to the wastes and kept entering and exiting the zone trying to get the Thahd to spawn and getting frustrated that he wouldn't.

And then I noticed a stone sitting on the ground. Turns out I'd killed the Thahd my very first time in the zone and never even noticed the stone he dropped, since I wasn't looking for it at the time and it just looked like any other stone. So I'd been trying to make him spawn when really, I'd already killed him.

Might want to stare at the ground and see if you have the same problem I did.

Does luck have anything to do with it?

I visited after buying 30 luck from Dig and I had two Thahds spawn and each drop a crescent stone while I was clearing out the map. Seems strange that two would spawn without even exiting and re-entering the map, yet they don't seem to spawn at all for others. So I wonder if your luck score might affect how often they spawn.

Luck HAS affected item drops: Luck definitely affected item drops in the Exile Trilogy. Luck definitely does NOT affect item drops in modern SW games (G4-5, A4-6). I have absolutely no idea if it affects item drops in Avernum engine games (N, N:R, A1-3, BoA).

G1-3 I'm not sure about either. It's probably safe to assume that it doesn't affect item drops there. But I also bought 30 Luck from Dig, back in the day, and suddenly seemed to have item drops everywhere. It's possible that's just observation bias, but either way we have never received clear word on G1-3.