GeneForge Steam windows mode

void4ever

So i just grabbed the Geneforge pack off steam. Is there anyway to play these in windowed mode? I'm only working with GeneForge 1 atm.

I've tried using the d3dwindower util, but the problem is you've integrated the steam API into the game, so unless it's launched directly from steam it won't open.

I don't know if there's a way to call the d3dwindower from steam and also call geneforge in such a way that it plays nicely with the steam API.

OR you could patch the game and add a -window command line switch!!!!

Void4ever

No you can only add exe files to the d3dwindower, not shortcuts.

This is unfortunate and a real turn off for someone like me. I play most of my games in a window here at work (i'm a sysadmin) that way i have quick access to my email, remote sessions or whatever else i need when someone calls with a problem.

I have another idea i can try, but if that doesn't work i suppose i'll have to deal with it.

Void4ever

newer SW-games (mostly Avadon since I didn't alt-tab much on A6) alt-tabbing has caused for me me few times game to become unplayable aka not responding to mouseclicks nor alt-tab working to get back to desktop so alt-tabbing caused some crash.

bad example on windowed gaming is bus driver, it runs on window BUT player can't click anything outside game window which sux0rs on long "missions" and no save option so 2 hrs "mission" and player is stuck on that game w/o option to do something else.

There was a post on these forums saying that d3dwindower worked great with the Geneforge series. The issue however is because they've integrated with steam, it now requires steam to launch the game. If i go try and run the exe manually it tells me

(Steam must be running to play this game (SteamAPI_Init() failed).

If I'd just bought it directly from SW without the steam api added in this wouldn't be an issue.

I'm just wondering if the dev's have any plans to add a window switch at the command line (since we can specify command line switches from the steam launcher).

I understand these games are quite old, and it was probably a chore just to integrate the Steam API, but it would be a nice gesture.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but have you seen this OP?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20930926&postcount=2

I don't know if Geneforge has this option, but if you know where to look you may be able to add options like it to a config file somewhere. I will try this and post here again if I get it working.

Edit: After a lot of messing around I got it to run in a window, but not through the steam API. The wierd thing is that it won't work if the global hook is activated, and it can only be ran in default resolution... sorry I'm not more help.