2nd Trilogy-Probably Shouldnt Have Happened

I got to say that i really liked the 1st avernum trilogy a lot. I like the geneforge games too. However, the 2nd avernum trilogy was kind of shocking to me. I couldnt get into the story of them compared to the 1st trilogy. I probably would say i liked avadon more than the 5th and 6th avernums. I mean come on, the 5th avernum you are playing as the empire- the bad guys. The 4th was a different story though. It actually had an engaging story and i would have labeled it as one of the better ones, but the problem still exists that the animations were slow and glitchy for win 7 users. Other than that, it was fun.

In the end, i dont think that the 2nd trilogy should have happened. It didnt relate to one another like the 1st trilogy. The 1st trilogy was relative. The 1st game related and was crucial to the building of the 2nd, just as the 2nd was to the 3rd. After the remakes, jeff might want to stay away from making another avernum. If anything, i think that it would be cool if avernum 4 could be remedied a bit. I also heard that geneforge 3 had the same problem with win 7. Im lucky i have 32 bit as i dont think 64 bit would work even at all. These are just thoughts as i am a big fan of jeff's games and want to see him make many more in the future.

Your opinion is in the minority here. Most people dislike A4 for being a rehash of the plot of A3 and then enjoy A5 and A6. I actually like A6 a great deal. Not enough is made of your being Empire agents, maybe, but seeing new regions brings back a lot of the exploration from the first trilogy that isn't so important in the second trilogy, where it's all familiar ground. And I think A6 has the most interesting sense of disaster closing in.

—Alorael, who doesn't see the games as especially discontinuous. A1 is about getting out and killing Hawthorne. A2 is about the ramifications of that and meeting the vahnatai. A3 is the fallout from the Empire's interactions with the vahnatai. A4 is a redirection of the wrath thwarted in A3 and an introduction the the Darkside Loyalists. A5 is all about those Loyalists. Only A6 seems to truly come from nowhere, and it plays more like a coda to the series. Each game stands quite well on its own merits (although A4 stands a bit too close to A3's merits); they're not so much a series as a group of games that just happen to be set in the same world and about the same country.

Avernum 6 was designed to kill off as many NPCs as possible so there wouldn't be an Avernum 7. The old world was ending with a bang instead of a whimper.

Avernum 4 would have been better if the newly introduced Darkside Loyalists had been the main villains causing disaster instead of a rehash of Avernum 3.

Minority I may be, the only gripe i had with avernum 4 was the slow animations and slowdown. Other than that, it was one of my favorites. I didnt like games after that because the battle disciplines. The fact that mages can use them and archers as well, it made the game too munchkiny. I thought that mages and archers should have gotten their own little thing, but whatever. 5 and 6 still get props for running smoothly which is the one reason why i might still give them another try in the future.

My operating system is windows 7 (32 bit) and i have all the specs. I have encountered problems with 2 games in total of spiderweb's games. All other games work. The games that provide trouble are avernum 4 and geneforge 3. Geneforge 3 is actually so slow, I have been forced to quit trying. Jeff will hopefully remake 1-3 of the geneforge games in the future.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Avernum 6 was designed to kill off as many NPCs as possible so there wouldn't be an Avernum 7. The old world was ending with a bang instead of a whimper.

Avernum 4 would have been better if the newly introduced Darkside Loyalists had been the main villains causing disaster instead of a rehash of Avernum 3.

I highly doubt that there wont be an Avernum 7-9. Jeff even made a comment about not ruling it out under A:EFTP. That basically means 7-9. Its his most popular series and i think that if he does make something, he should go the route of avernum 3 for something new.

I could see Jeff finishing up the original trilogy remakes and deciding that the second trilogy isn't too antiquated and just going on ahead. It would be weird to have people play through a series where the engine changes for the middle games, though. Maybe he'd be too averse to that.

—Alorael, who now wants someone to make a series where the engine changes are, in fact, part of the series. And you'd obviously have to metagame to win.

Originally Posted By: Lampheads
You're an operating system?

—Alorael, who actually can't figure out what you mean. Windows ME? Your computer? Something entirely different?

No I'm not OS.

I played A3 on P2-266 Mhz (integrated graphic adapter and maybe 32 Meg RAM)
with Win95 smoothly on default settings and A1-3 smoothly on Win98SE on P3-500 MHz (Radeon 7000 as graphic card and 768 Meg RAM) and A4 and A5 on that same comp (under WinXP this time) and games worked well on default settings.

Originally Posted By: Let's Play: Flamewars

—Alorael, who doesn't see the games as especially discontinuous..... A5 is all about those Loyalists.
I bet this has been discussed before but I disagree vehemently with this. A5 is anything but about the darkside loyalists. It's a bunch of more or less self-contained areas with the loyalists making a few cameos here and there. Whole game felt like a themepark to me.

It's about the Darkside Loyalists the way A3 is about Rentar-Ihrno. They're not really central until they end, although unlike Rentar they put in appearances earlier, but the whole game is about hunting them down.

—Alorael, who agrees that the areas are self-contained and not Loyalist-related. That's part of the point. You're stuck in bureaucracy every step of the way. It happens to be fun, though.

No. His engines don't lend themselves to it at all, his style of game is heavily plot and background and light on fine gameplay, he'd need an entire balance team, he can't really compete with the market, and there are plenty of good offerings if that's what you want. Can you tell we've gone through this before?

—Alorael, who doesn't especially want an MMORPG anyway. They tend to emphasize the worst of grinding and the worst side of people.

Originally Posted By: I made a vow with zombies in it.
No. His engines don't lend themselves to it at all, his style of game is heavily plot and background and light on fine gameplay, he'd need an entire balance team, he can't really compete with the market, and there are plenty of good offerings if that's what you want. Can you tell we've gone through this before?

—Alorael, who doesn't especially want an MMORPG anyway. They tend to emphasize the worst of grinding and the worst side of people.

The only way a spidweb mmorpg would work is if Jeff donned the beard (Redbeard) and took over as the keeper of the game. No one would mess with anyone then and the game would go smoothly.

But seriously, jeff is too talented in coming up with unforgetable stories and characters to go in that angle. I for one think that if jeff made a fallout type fantasy/appocalyptic game, it would not only be awesome, it would be better than any of the fallouts we've got nowadays.