Avadon: Codex typo + rambling

Aetius

Hi Spiderweb team. Love the game so far (even though I haven't left Avadon yet!) and thought I'd let you know of a typo within the 'Keepers of Avadon' codex entry; end of the third paragraph should be 'ever', not 'never.'

Also, is the minor lag between player battle moves on ipad being fixed (or can it be fixed)?

Long rambling:

I only noticed the game during the recent Steam daily deal. I tried out the demo and contemplated buying but got caught up in events and forgot about the sale. The next day I discovered that the game was on iPad and I bought it for double the price it was on Steam almost instantly. On PC I have many other games to play and so Avadon on PC was not really appealing to play over my other games (being a niche game). But on the iPad - a platform suited for more simplistic and slower paced games - Avadon fits right in.

I'm not trying to say Avadon is a simplistic game as in a casual game, but rather it's simple to play; easy, go at your own pace, turn by turn gameplay. No fast reflexes or complicated controls to make playing the game more difficult. Simplicity rules on the iPad and Avadon's complex gameplay and story delivered with a simple interface allows the game to stand out among the 'casual, almost zero complexity games' on the app store. Other games on the app store (FPS for example) are far too difficult to fully enjoy on the iPad and are much better suited for the PC and consoles. If I wanted to play a directional 3D shooter or adventure game, I'd play it on PC.

Anyway, my point is that the touch interface suits Avadon very well and it's presence in the app store makes it a stand out game vs it's relative inconspicuousness in the PC market. I hope that Spiderweb continue to release their games on the iPad because the platform really needs more great RPGs like this and less shallow, difficult to play PC/console try hard games.

I think that the demo should be released on the iPad to encourage more buyers. $10 is a bit steep for a customer who knows nothing about the game and the niche genre. I would not have bought the game if I didn't first play the PC demo. The iPad's RPG market is very meagre and I think promoting Avadon (though a demo and trying to get the game on the front page of the app store perhaps in an 'awesome games you will never play' or similar promotion) will attract many buyers interested in RPGs such as Baldur's Gate, Diablo etc looking for something similar on the iPad. There is potentially a huge amount of people who would buy this game on iPad if only they knew of it and could trial it, such as i experienced myself.

That's my 2 cents. Thanks for bringing your game to iPad!

Originally Posted By: Aetius
Also, is the minor lag between player battle moves on ipad being fixed (or can it be fixed)?

There are speed problems for players using the older iPads.

Avernum: Escape from the Pit a remake of Avernum 1 will be out for iPads. It's currently being beta tested for Mac computers.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door.

Take advantage of the October Sadness Sale. Game prices have been reduced in addition to the sale discount. Even great discounts if you by sets.

• 2 weeks later...