Best puns and jokes.

Trenton.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Slartucker
You just replaced a word with a homophone that had NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH ANYTHING YOU WERE SAYING.

Don't you think you're being a little harsh considering that Harehunter is keeping his puns in a thread specifically devoted to them? (Also, the boring post was linked to from the office thread, which is sort of a citation, so it's not completely random.) Dikiyoba means, if we're at a place where botching a few attempts at humor in a thread specifically devoted to bad puns and jokes (it says "best", but we all know what that really means) results in an uppercase tongue-lashing, then we are all doomed. (All right, so Alorael, Lilith, and Student of Trinity probably aren't, but a forum of three people would just be sad.)

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: VCH
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
. . .but a forum of three people would just be sad.)

and funny too

see also: desp

O tempora! O mores!

—Alorael, who has been on some pretty tiny boards in his time. The downside of having to put up with Ezboards was usually compensated by the excitement of conspiratorial whispering.

(All right, so Alorael, Lilith, and Student of Trinity probably aren't, but a forum of three people would just be sad.)

BUT if we managed to lure those three to some strange new satellite board (Despolaris Vale), the rest of us going begin the long task of catching up to them.

Originally Posted By: Slartucker
You just replaced a word with a homophone that had NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH ANYTHING YOU WERE SAYING.

Don't you think you're being a little harsh considering that Harehunter is keeping his puns in a thread specifically devoted to them? (Also, the boring post was linked to from the office thread, which is sort of a citation, so it's not completely random.) Dikiyoba means, if we're at a place where botching a few attempts at humor in a thread specifically devoted to bad puns and jokes (it says "best", but we all know what that really means) results in an uppercase tongue-lashing, then we are all doomed. (All right, so Alorael, Lilith, and Student of Trinity probably aren't, but a forum of three people would just be sad.)

I know the 'cite' pun was subtle; it was intentional. I was beginning to wonder if it were too subtle. Good catch.

Just for the record, only about one tenth of my ideas get posted here. In fact, only one pun in ten did.

You are definitely not imagining things.

In reference to...

Quote:
—Alorael, who, due to a name shortage, provided a name that isn't quite going to work. Unless someone else is also using a not entirely pleasing PDN, which case gnawing fate worked out well.
If fate came in the form of a giant rat, that would certainly be a-gnawing.

Originally Posted By: Artemis~
I love jokes.
Coincidentally, I also love poems.
Here is my favorite one.

*clears throat*

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I suck at writing poems
Penis.

That's all I've got.

Well, I'm sure my interpretation of that (especially the last two lines) aren't what the author expected.

Don't be cross, Amanda,

Amanda, don't be cross,

For when you're cross, Amanda,

I feel an albatross

Around my neck, or dank gray moss,

And my eyes assume an impervious gloss.

Amanda, Dear Amanda,

Don't be cross.

Do not frown, Amanda,

Amanda, do not frown,

For when you frown, Amanda,

I wamble like a clown,

My mouth is stuffed with eiderdown,

And I spatter coffee upon your gown.

Amanda,

Dear Amanda,

Do not frown.

Don't clam up, Amanda,

Amanda, do not clam,

For when you clam, Amanda,

I don't know where I am.

What is it that I did you damn?

Shall I make amends for a sheep, or a lamb?

Amanda,

Dear Amanda,

Do not clam.

Please be gay, Amanda,

Amanda, please be gay,

For when you're gay, Amanda,

The stars come out by day,

The police throw parking tags away,

And I want to kick up my heels and bray.

Amanda,

Dear Amanda,

Please be gay.

-Ogden Nash

Have I mentioned that my penchant for puns is a sickness? Here I go merrily browsing the forum, when suddenly a word triggers another bad cross-reference. Since I am constrained to contain my contaminating comedy (a little alliteration, anyone?)I'll just keep it segregated here.

In Re To General\Are your tubes filled

Yeah, but I bet your computer can do logarithms really fast, though...

Drumming lumber jacks are really good at log-a-rhythms, too.

Sorry folks, but I've been 16 layers deep in upgrades, and I've had to go through so many log files, I have splinters in my teeth. Even in my sleep, I'm sawing logs. I wood give it up, but it's my dam job, so I'll just keep lumbering along. At least I'm never board.

Ogee, look at the time. I have to get back to my carving.

• 3 weeks later...

Hollandaise is pretty good, Béarnaise sauce is really good, but all those egg-yolk-based sauces are the devil to make. I've tried a few times, succeeded about one time in three, and the other times ended up with either a horrible mess of curdly stuff, or a thin and runny sauce that's almost as bad.

Even done right they are pretty much pure evil, healthwise: saturated fat held in suspension by cholesterol. But okay, you can eat oat bran for a week before and after, and it's probably worth it.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Hollandaise is pretty good, Béarnaise sauce is really good, but all those egg-yolk-based sauces are the devil to make. I've tried a few times, succeeded about one time in three, and the other times ended up with either a horrible mess of curdly stuff, or a thin and runny sauce that's almost as bad.

Even done right they are pretty much pure evil, healthwise: saturated fat held in suspension by cholesterol. But okay, you can eat oat bran for a week before and after, and it's probably worth it.

Whenever I try to make eggs Benedict, I always just wind up with poached eggs with lemony scrambled eggs on top. It's good, but not really what was expected.

All dishes that require precise temperature micromanagment to cook properly are evil (I'm looking at you, caramel!). They'e all so delicious, but I can never make them come out right.

also because it's easy to talk about books, food is difficult. "This tastes good." is about all it comes down to.

It's actually quite easy to talk about food, it's just that you just come off as a pretentious snob whenever you try to say something like:

I find that the refreshing lightness of this dish is accented by the subtle tang of the sauce. A light Riesling would nicely compliment the texture, and personally I feel that prefacing the dish with a saltier amuse-bouche would serve to bring out the contrast in the aromas between the dishes.

But I think it's not very heavy and it doesn't have a really strong flavor, so it's better with some kind of tangy sauce to bring it out. If you have something saltier first it really makes the difference more noticeable. I had it with white wine and it was pretty good!

—Alorael, who thinks the difference between the critics and the amateurs is mostly vocabulary. And expertise, presumably; if the critics say the tangy sauce is good, they hopefully have some justification for saying so.

I find that the refreshing lightness of this dish is accented by the subtle tang of the sauce. A light Riesling would nicely compliment the texture, and personally I feel that prefacing the dish with a saltier amuse-bouche would serve to bring out the contrast in the aromas between the dishes.

god what a boring choice of wine

yes, riesling would go with whatever the dish is, i'm sure. that's because riesling goes with everything

I live near the ground zero of riesling, so I get a lot of it. I like it, but okay, it's pretty simple. It can get a bit more intense if you find some "spätlese trocken", meaning that the grapes have been harvested late so as to be more ripe, but then have been vinified dry. And some Alsatian riesling is also drier and more intense than the ordinary run, though also a fair bit more expensive.

Heavens to Murgatroyd! What hath I uncovered! I try to tread lightly, but I tend to trip frequently on my tongue.

From a kernel of dried wit, we get dictionary wars, to government conspiracies, to culinary critiques.

That is what makes this forum so irresistibly interesting.