Geneforge Series Backup Save and Character Editor

Malahak

Hi, I'm new to the forum, although i have been playing the geneforge series on and off for four or five years. Recently, for a class project on inpiration and creativity, (I do some novel style writing) my idea was to use one of the geneforge games in the class project, because what Jeff did with the series strikes me as a pretty awesome example of ceativity, and indeed, inspired me to write. So I tried to use a backup CD I had made of the geneforge games I had made but never had to use, only to discover that I couldn't access save files off the disk. Unable to find a solution, I attempted to use a character editor for the CD, so I could demonstrate to the class the abilties and options the game presents ou with. The character editor did not work either. Unfortunately I have little background with the more complicated (By my standards) matters of the computer.

So, I have two problems. First is the save issue. I dont know if this is actually an "issue" or is supposed to happen. Second is getting a character editor to work. If someody could give me a hand, I require a rather idiot proof step by step answer.

I am using a Windows Vista.

I am hoping for Geneforge 2 with an editor involved, but 3-4 will work.

I do realize I am likely resurrecting an old post, but I failed to find one that answered my problem.

Thanks in advance!(And sorry for being so long winded)

Seeing as I loaded the entire geneforge file to the CD, the saves should be there, right? I caan not see a way to open them on a seperate computer from a CD.

As for the editor, I see unofficial discussed on the forum all the time. I saw no problem seeing to it that I am using a disc, which is in of itself a backup, and of which I have multiples. I have attempted the text edit ones before, but I must be doing something blaringly simple wrong, as they will not work for me.

what file/files you have on that cd? Geneforge2 setup file or folder where GF2 was installed? I don't think GF2 works w/o installation and for sure it can't load savegames on cd.

If you have savegames burned on that cd rhen install GF2 on that computer you use to demonstrate and then copy those files over the files which are on my documents-folder. If you have game-folder and savegames on that cd then you still need to install GF2 and then copy game-folder from cd to where you installed GF2 and save games under my documents GF2 related folder.