Mac Editor v1.2

Niemand

A new version of the 3D Editor for the Macintosh is out! If you have the previous version you can get the update using the 'Check for Updates' item in the application menu, and otherwise you can find it on the standard downloads page.

Changes in this update include:

• A new multi-window interface, which splits off the tools and palettes and allows the main window to be resized
  • The tools have been grouped into categories
  • Signs and waypoints are now selectable
  • Many things now have tooltips (You may not know (I didn't) that by holding command while a tooltip is displayed, you can view a longer form of the information, if available.)

Thanks to Tridash for his considerable help in bringing this release about!

Sorry about the screwup with regard to PPC support, everyone. frown It should be fixed now.

Those of you on Intel machines may or may not get an odd update suggestion to what's apparently the same version; whether you choose to install it or skip it should be irrelevant, since it will work the same either way.

For PowerPC users: If you hadn't yet updated, you should now be able to do so from within the application or manually and things will be fine. Unfortunately, if you already updated you'll need to download the fixed version manually, since the version you got stuck with can't be run. (Again, sorry!)

This was something that could have been caught by testing, but I was in a bit too much of a hurry yesterday. In my defense, the lack of PPC support appears to have arisen spontaneously from an oddity in XCode's backwards compatibility with its own old project formats, as can be seen (for those curious and technically inclined) from the results of running:

A final disclaimer: I haven't actually tested this time either, since I'm at work without access to a PPC Mac. However, the new version shows up as a Universal binary in the Finder now, so hopefully I got it right.

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves

There appears to be no limit on the size of the panorama? That is way beyond awesome.

Makes me wish I had a bigger monitor. tongue

Edit: Was it possible to place moving mirrors from the editor before? If not, congratulations on adding a feature I was just going to suggest. tongue

definitely not promising anything, but...

Sorry about the mac-a-like theme I'm using; I'm not really too sure what I'm doing on the Windows side but it seems to kind of work currently..a lot more would still be needed to bring it to the proper interface as on the mac side now

EDIT: If you are a windows user who also happens to be crazy, you can try the build used to make the above screenshot here. It's not pretty and it could eat you and/or your scenario (though I doubt it will).

Wow. This is neat. Although two suggestions for this (only tried the windows version, this may be addressed in the Mac one): 1) Make the Maximize button work and 2) Allow resizing of the Tiles palette (ie, make it thinner and whatnot). That being said, this is a truly remarkable development.

I think that I resized the outdoors successfully at least once or twice in Nobody's Heroes. I didn't have crashing problems.

Hey, would it be possible to make the "Tiles" images resizable? I often find that it's really difficult to find what I need in the terrains and such because the pictures are too small. (This is actually much better already since the window can be made big enough that I can see all the terrains at once. Good god, this is beautiful.)

Originally Posted By: tridash
The tiles images are already a little larger than the default - I suppose the best way to do it would be to have a slider or something to increase/decrease the tiles image size independent of the size of the window?

Pretty much any way you could do it would be great. I was figuring that you could just let the Tile window be resized left-right in addition to up-down and automatically resize the tile images based on the width of the window, but whatever's easiest, really.

Originally Posted By: Kelandon
I think that I resized the outdoors successfully at least once or twice in Nobody's Heroes. I didn't have crashing problems.

I can vouch for the Windows 3D editor crashing (and trashing scenarios) when the user attempts to change the size of the outdoors. There was a post about it over at SV.

Yep, just tested this. Outdoors are added, but town 0 is trashed. The other towns seem fine, oddly enough (I can't remember if I checked this before or not, so I can't say if it's a new thing or not).

I mean, it's not like it needs immediate attention; make more outdoors than you need, or make a copy of the first town to recopy over the broken one, but yeah.

The tiles images are already a little larger than the default - I suppose the best way to do it would be to have a slider or something to increase/decrease the tiles image size independent of the size of the window?

Pretty much any way you could do it would be great. I was figuring that you could just let the Tile window be resized left-right in addition to up-down and automatically resize the tile images based on the width of the window, but whatever's easiest, really.
Or perhaps have a full-size tile pop up where you clicked, in the good ol' Windows Character Map style. Or maybe have a little 'selected tile' indicator.

Originally Posted By: Sylae

Or perhaps have a full-size tile pop up where you clicked, in the good ol' Windows Character Map style. Or maybe have a little 'selected tile' indicator.

Well, that wouldn't solve my problem, which is not being able to find the thing to click on in the first place. But that could also be a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I was figuring that you could just let the Tile window be resized left-right in addition to up-down and automatically resize the tile images based on the width of the window, but whatever's easiest, really.

Six months later I've actually done this...I need to clean up the code a bit before it's release-ready though.

I was figuring that you could just let the Tile window be resized left-right in addition to up-down and automatically resize the tile images based on the width of the window, but whatever's easiest, really.

Six months later I've actually done this...I need to clean up the code a bit before it's release-ready though.

Clean! Fast! I might make a new scenario with all the inspiration that the new editor is giving me!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Kelandon tongue If it'll stop you moping I can PM you what I have so far.

Before it's properly releasable it would be nice to work out a good way of allowing the number of columns to be changed as well as the size of the tiles. I have some code which seems to allow either but I'm not sure what the best way to do the user interface for it is. modifier key + resize seems to be out as lion appears to use some of these.

Possible Interface (i guess i should really look at the apple interface guidelines): by default resizing window changes number of columns, icon size fixed. if menu option checked resizing window changes size of icons, number of columns fixed. cmd + and cmd - increase/decrease icons sizes and changes number of columns so they fit in the window

Possible Interface (i guess i should really look at the apple interface guidelines): by default resizing window changes number of columns, icon size fixed. if menu option checked resizing window changes size of icons, number of columns fixed. cmd + and cmd - increase/decrease icons sizes and changes number of columns so they fit in the window

This sounds good to me.

I'd been envisioning a simpler system, which just switches automatically between two behaviors: First, we give the window a minimum width, equal to the current width. Starting from the minimum width, increasing the window width allows the icons to grow wider (and proportionally taller) while maintaining the number of columns. This continues until the icons have reached their full, original size, at which point they stop growing and the number of columns is allowed to increase.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
I'd been envisioning a simpler system, which just switches automatically between two behaviors: First, we give the window a minimum width, equal to the current width. Starting from the minimum width, increasing the window width allows the icons to grow wider (and proportionally taller) while maintaining the number of columns. This continues until the icons have reached their full, original size, at which point they stop growing and the number of columns is allowed to increase.

This also sounds fine to me, but I worry about people want to customize the number of columns with smaller icons. People could conceivably want to do that, I think.

• 7 months later...

I got the mac editor compiling on 10.8 (just by copying across the 10.6 sdk from an older Xcode), so I tried to neaten up what I did with a resizable tiles window. I've done something similar on the windows side.

It's still a bit ugly, might need to change ui a bit or move stuff to a new preferences window, but this is what it does:

• changing the window size changes the number of columns but not icon size
  • change the icon size with a slider - it's just a choice between 4 presets, tiny (original editor), standard (1.2 size), medium and big (actual size)

here's what it looks like

tiny.jpgstd.jpgmed.jpgbig.png