A:EftP - A Brighter Palette than Avadon?

In all honesty I am coming from the Geneforge camp which is very colorful, but I have played a good chunk of the Avernum 4 demo and it has a brighter palette than Avadon. Having finished Avadon, I certainly appreciate the animation improvements and the general level of detail, but Avadon feels like one big "cloudy day" due to the muted palette.

There were a few notable exceptions though. Zhethron's Aerie (richer reds) and Castle Vebeaux (brighter areas and blues) were a nice departure from the rest.

Again this is really trivial but I've been thinking about it so hey...

I'll assume you mean rain in various explorable areas, as opposed to just in cutscenes, since there are plenty of examples of the latter. The former is a bit rarer, but definitely happens. The Final Fantasy series has a lot of examples. Offhand: Final Fantasy 9, 12, and 13, Diablo 2, and World of Warcraft. I'm pretty certain there are others (I think Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and/or Oblivion?), but those 5 are all I can say for certain at the moment.

I think KOTOR may have a little bit outside of the station above a planets all-water surface. how ever you cant touch it. What I mean is like rain that touches you, and you interact with it, like in star wars: the force unleashed II, the clothes dampen and it looks all soaked, and it stays that way for a while.

In FFX, a character stands in three different ways during combat. The first the normal one, obviously. Then there's the exhausted-looking one when they have less than half of their HP. The last one is when they have very little health (compared to full HP), like they sprinted 5 miles or something. Oh, forgot another one. When they die, they look dead. And if you haste Tidus (the main character), he looks like he's having a seizure!

Trenton, Karoka.

Please remember that these forums aren't a chatroom! Whilst it's great you both have a lot to say, and it's great you're both really getting into the games here and posting some great things, it's getting to the stage now where you're having one-line-per-post conversations with each other in a couple of threads.

If you've got a lot of questions, ask them all at once, or if you think of something after you've already posted, edit it in to your previous post. Also, there's a neat private messaging where you can have conversations with each other without derailing topics!

Obviously, pay as much attention to what I'm saying as you like, and remember it's not like I'm telling either of you to knock it off, just have a bit more awareness of the other posters who have to scroll through a couple of pages of you guys chatting. smile

Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, rebel servile.
Name 5. I played RPG a many, and I never saw any rain.

700th POST!
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, (I think NwN1 had rain too, but I'm not sure and Googling was inconclusive.) Oblivion...

Killer Instinct is a real game. But someday I will remake it into and RPG.

Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, rebel servile
have you noticed that most times in posts where he both post we somehow get into an argument?
It might be because I act like a psycho and then you don't ignore the psychoness (if that's a word even).

EDIT: I typed so slow that three people managed to post before me. Woot!

As far as games where rain has an effect on anything rather than just being an atmospheric effect, there aren't many. That level of detail requires a fairly high level of programming detail and/or graphics, which restricts it to recent games.

—Alorael, who enjoys how all NPCs flee for cover whenever it rains in The Witcher. It's not important or helpful, but it is entertaining.

Perhaps we have different views of immersing. In Diablo II, my character actually runs when it runs, and arrows actually fly in the trajectories I click. A monster with an open wound will bleed continuously.

I actually prefer top-down isometric graphics. God-mode views are the best. Or at least, they're the easier for me to maneuver in.

Good graphics are rarely distracting from the game. Distracting from what you're doing, maybe, but you're still focused on playing the game and looking at things in the game. With bad graphics you can suddenly be concentrating on how unpleasant, jarring, or inscrutable the graphics are.

—Alorael, who still thinks the A1-3 nephil and slith graphics have this problem. They aren't quite distinct enough.